Sideshows 12' figure are dropping by the day in the aftermarket ...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy to collect not for future value (I don't think anything I have bought has gone up in value :() but lately I have been pasisng on a lot of Star Wars 12" figs I want because I know in 6 months I'll be able to get them for 1/2 price.

Freaks

Is it me or is it true the Sideshow 12' figures are not commanding anything on the aftermarket anymore ?

Other than the premium format, many I think all the Sideshow 12' are worth probably as much as the old playmate figures

The Planet of the apes line is like going for like $20 other than maybe 1-2 that can get a bit more

The James Bond is the only one a bit better but I now see some of the Bond goin for at most $50-$75

The Universal monsters even the Creature I see now going for less than $100 MIB

The Platoon with the exeception is going for no more than $100 MIB

Have they really dropped this much or is it the economy or are they just not worth any $$$

:monkey2

Cheers

YMBA

Yeah those 12 foot ones are getting too big in my house too!

-------------------------

Learning over the years what it's all about, I'd say steer clear of these if your mentality is that their value is paramount to the love factor. Collect t collect and not with the notion of a future value attached to it. In the end you may be sorely disappointed. I've noticed this a lot with Star Wars lately.

I wonder if it's because Lucas granted so much license out there that the value of a lot of what is available out there isn't as high.... or the accessibility and ease of resources to find these in the aftermarket is what makes them not worth as much. Perhaps without things like Ebay and in general these communities on the internet the values would be higher because of the WHERE to look in finding something after the fact.

Just as an example, without internet I wouldn't know where to find an unopened Darth Vader original vintage MOC in great condition and would be difficult locating one. Do a few searches online in the great digital age, it's not so tough. With there being a number of them out there you see the amount of people selling them and you then need to competitively price and that's where you can get something for less.

I just think that the ease of finding sideshow 12" is very likely and you're very opt to finding one readily in the aftermarket and with more quantities of those out there in lesser demand = lower costs to drive the sales of those aftermarket sales.

Last edited:
by the way, i've noticed on the last few clone troopers to be released by sideshow, there's a hot toys logo on the box bottom. so HT must be assisting in the process, whether it be by design or manufacturing. will they hold their value more now?

Some posts deleted, please keep this civil peeps.

Personally I buy what I likes and I likes what I buy. I don't even think after-market value when ordering/buying something.

To me my collectables are here because I like them, they are pieces of Art that I enjoy looking at. I don't buy thinking it's an investment, if people do that they are investing in the wrong things if you ask me as you never know what will increase or decrease in value over time.
Just my opinion anyway.
x :peace

Last edited:
Enjoy toys! If you must invest, then play stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc. What are you doing buying toys?

Honestly, and I've said this before: If you must invest in toys, I suggest you start purchasing whatever the kids are playing with now. Those same kids with be flooded with waves of nostalgia when they hit their 20's,and will be looking for the stuff they played with in good condition. Same as my generation did with Star Wars, He-man, and G.I. Joes, so to will the next generation with Pokemon, Dragonball Z, and Power Rangers.

economy...plain and simple:dunno

Yup I totally agree. When some states are over 10% unemployment thats a whole lot of people that don't have money to spend on leisure items. Factor in the amount of people that are worried about their jobs in general and you have even more people not willing to spend a lot of dough.

Plus in my opinion I think SS pricing has gone a bit too high on some of their statues/figures. The spidey comiquette is a perfect example. I think a majority is fairly priced, but some seem very inflated, so people will be patient and wait on the secondary market where they can dictate the price.

It's not just the economy but also quality. Most of the older Sideshow figures just look really cartoonish and obsolete by today's standards. Who wants to pay upwards $100 for a figure with $40 quality when you can buy something from Hot Toys that beats everything else out there? I'd like to see Sideshow go back and "revisit" some of their older offerings and improve the quality to meet current standards.

They can't do that to some of them though if they no longer hold the license. Also if they did that to things like SW fans would get hacked if we got another Anakin from Episode 3 before their favorite figure.

As far as collecting and seeing them drop after you get them. It is what it is. I collect cause I love this stuff and I go with the whole collect for life mantra.

Screw the sw babies. Give me a new Anakin and Jedi Luke with the same quality SS is producing now.

Back