Sideshows 12' figure are dropping by the day in the aftermarket ...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is something you just noticed? This hasn't been news since SS's Bespin Han was released. :lol

You just can't compare Sideshow 1:6 to Enterbay or Hot Toys like that, they are different in retail prices and different in terms of quality. Most Sideshow 1:6 are actually not high end collectibles if you think about it. Neca sells their 18" line figures for $40 retail, which is pretty close to what Sideshow 1:6 retails for.

What kind of BS is this?! :lol Genius, when's the last time you saw a Sideshow figure retail for $50?! Most of their stuff is high-end and has been at about the $100 mark (if not over) for over a year. The stuff you're comparing at $45 is a decade old. You're comparing that to stuff NECA is doing now. Your statement's entirely irrelevant as even HT wasn't very good quality back then. :cuckoo:

Think about it this way, if a Sideshow 1:6 retails for $20 and is now at $40, its value actually went up double. That's the same deal when a Neca figure goes up from $15 to $40 value, it's more than double what it's originally worth. Hot Toys retails at like $170 and it may go up to $210, but it actually only went up 1/4 in terms of its value.

Mkay, so another NECA troll. Sideshow's PZ 1:6 retailed for $49. It's still worth over $300 despite the ____ty economy. Same for the Creature from the Black Lagoon figure which consistently fetches over $200, even more for it's rarer SSE variant. Then there're the Jason figures which consistently fetch over $100 on Ebay despite their OG $50 tag. That's not even considering something like the Doom PF which was about $300 but can't be sought for under $1k.

And you're saying why Sideshow 1:6 is only $40 bucks now a days, well no one is going to pay $200 bucks for what is originally a $20 figure, that's not the same as someone paying $200 for a $170 Hot Toys figure.

See last response. ;)

If you were honestly hoping to earn some kind of interest in your investment though, go with Sideshow for statues and busts, and Hot Toy / Enterbay for 1:6 figures. That's where the money is at:)

Apparently you're unfamiliar with the Joe line. :lol

And even though logic seems to imply that the economy is the reason here, I don't think that's true because you have people paying $400+ for HT predators and $500+ for Enterbay Bruce Lee, and they sell like hot cakes and it's happening at a daily basis, which is pretty insane if you think about what collectors are willing to spend even with this kind of economy. So no the economy is definitely not the reason why Sideshow 1:6 don't sell, mostly it's because Sideshow is at 4th or 5th place in the 1:6 market right now, so their level of demand is just about the same as Triad Toys these days. :)

Let's use your own example against you. You were talking about the appreciated percentage of the NECA vs. Sideshow. Well let's look at Patient Zero 12" and compare him with HotToys. If Celtic, who goes for about $600 now and was selling at $130 and Sideshow's Patient Zero figure, originally listed at $45 now sells for over $300, where's the "value" at? :huh

He's right - collectible values drop dramatically when an improved version gets released. Remember the ridiculous prices the Toys McCoy 1:6 Indiana Jones figure was commanding a few years ago? They've definitely dropped since Sideshow released its own 1:6 scale Indy.

The same'll probably happen with Sideshow's Charlie Sheen figure from Platoon when the Hot Toys version comes out. Luckily, there's no word that HT plans on re-doing all the figures from Platoon...yet.

Well, unless they make considerable change, I wouldn't call HT Bruce Lee an improvement, rather a leap backward! :lol

Well, unless they make considerable change, I wouldn't call HT Bruce Lee an improvement, rather a leap backward! :lol

I think we'll see HT dish out the same spankage on Bruce Lee that they did on Vito Corleone. Enterbay couldn't touch the HT release. Not by a long shot.

He's right - collectible values drop dramatically when an improved version gets released. Remember the ridiculous prices the Toys McCoy 1:6 Indiana Jones figure was commanding a few years ago? They've definitely dropped since Sideshow released its own 1:6 scale Indy.

funny how the value of SSC's indy dropped just in a year. You can snatch one up around $60 easy.

no one in their right mind bought the SSC Indy at retail thinking it would go up in value. They made a ton of them and that was well known from ordering day.

Apparently you're unfamiliar with the Joe line. :lol

You are biased. The Joe line has had its share of stinkers. Crimson Cobra Commander, Cobra Sniper, Firefly. Sideshow's cartoonish paint aps on Duke. Let's face it, Sideshow thinks they are just as good as Hot Toys so they raise their prices but the fact is the quality just isn't nearly as good and certainly nowhere good enough to be asking $125 per figure just because they throw in a generous amount of hands and/or accessories. I'd say $80 is reasonable for the kind of quality they are producing. They are shooting themselves in the foot and the hobby is starting to go belly-up as did the comic book industry when it got too greedy for its own good. Collectors aren't being completists anymore and have become more discreet about their purchases due to finances when they can't keep dropping hundreds of dollars each month on frivolous toys. We are seeing a higher number of cancellations and stuff lingering on Second Chance and Gift Card status as a result. Heck, Duke is still in stock right now as is the Cobra Throne and that sure would have been a gauranteed sell out back in the day.

Wow

I did not know my thread would generate so much passion on this subject. Now I must say I don't collect for the say of making a quick buck. I have not sold only until now and it is only becuase I have too much damn toys now :)

The point I make is I was very surprised to see how much some of the sought after SS 12' has dropped

I bought a "Planet of the apes limited release Charles heston " piece 2 years ago for $200 and it is now worth $100 . I see the Creture of the Black Lagoon 12' were going for close to $150 -$200 and it is now around $ 100 .

The point is if you one day want to sell, it might be worth a fraction which is shocking. I have the EBAY B LEE and I see all od them are still holding value very well

My.02

You are biased. The Joe line has had its share of stinkers. Crimson Cobra Commander, Cobra Sniper, Firefly. Sideshow's cartoonish paint aps on Duke. Let's face it, Sideshow thinks they are just as good as Hot Toys so they raise their prices but the fact is the quality just isn't nearly as good and certainly nowhere good enough to be asking $125 per figure just because they throw in a generous amount of hands and/or accessories. I'd say $80 is reasonable for the kind of quality they are producing. They are shooting themselves in the foot and the hobby is starting to go belly-up as did the comic book industry when it got too greedy for its own good. Collectors aren't being completists anymore and have become more discreet about their purchases due to finances when they can't keep dropping hundreds of dollars each month on frivolous toys. We are seeing a higher number of cancellations and stuff lingering on Second Chance and Gift Card status as a result. Heck, Duke is still in stock right now as is the Cobra Throne and that sure would have been a gauranteed sell out back in the day.

I'm biased. :lol There's much fail in your post. As ____ty as CCC was, he's still sold out. Same with the Sniper and I'll go out on a limb and say same with Firefly - especially with the inclusion of the camo mask. Duke is back in stock but that's no different than the regular Cobra Commander. He was in stock for a short while but sold out as well, as will Duke. Everybody else has remained sold out as well, or are you forgetting that? That's six out of seven figures to date (both Ex and regulars), including the three straight-up variants like CCC, Officer and Sniper, still sold out. The Cobra throne and other polystone stuff is irrelevant so it's not even worth bringing that up. As for Sideshow thinking they're just as good as HT, they've admitted the opposite. Additionally, there's even more fail in that post of yours. HT's prices are rising by just as much a percentage as Sideshow's, if not moreso. Predators' line is now at near $200 a pred and Royce, who should be priced the same as Billy, is also up.

I think the 1/6 Uni Monster stuff will hold it's value over time. No other company has even attempted to tackle the property with the same quality.

:goodpost:

If people want to invest they need to go look at the bulls and bears... and get out of this HOBBY.

I buy what I like and what I want-- I could care less what someone is going to value it at five ten-- or even twenty years from now. :slap

yes, my friend bought the bulls and bears board game and sold it for $200 more than he paid.

bulls%2Bbears.jpg

i KNOW you're not talking about the stock market as an investment path. if someone farts on the floor, your stock can drop to half it's value. the logic behind what holds it's value in the stock market is 100% pure hogwash. shameful that our entire economy balances on this pathetic premise.

Freaks

Is it me or is it true the Sideshow 12' figures are not commanding anything on the aftermarket anymore ?

Other than the premium format, many I think all the Sideshow 12' are worth probably as much as the old playmate figures

The Planet of the apes line is like going for like $20 other than maybe 1-2 that can get a bit more

The James Bond is the only one a bit better but I now see some of the Bond goin for at most $50-$75

The Universal monsters even the Creature I see now going for less than $100 MIB

The Platoon with the exeception is going for no more than $100 MIB

Have they really dropped this much or is it the economy or are they just not worth any $$$

:monkey2

Cheers

YMBA

the exclusive versions fetch consistently more than the regular versions. after all, the person who bought it originally had to go to the sideshow site during their priority preorder and score one before sellout. the edition size is also smaller for the exclusive. the regular version is usually available at retailers worldwide.

I think the 1/6 Uni Monster stuff will hold it's value over time. No other company has even attempted to tackle the property with the same quality.

i surely hope so. i managed to collect the entire set. :wink1:

wouldn't that depend on what 1/6 line and figure we're talking about?

I'm not sure you're getting his point. While there are people here who buy for investment purposes, and a small amount who buy to flip, the majority of collectors on this board buy to collect. Whether or not the piece becomes valuable after purchase takes a back seat.

I'm not sure you're getting his point. While there are people here who buy for investment purposes, and a small amount who buy to flip, the majority of collectors on this board buy to collect. Whether or not the piece becomes valuable after purchase takes a back seat.

he's saying any 1/6 line shouldn't be considered an investment and should be purchased as a hobby only, obviously because many of them don't go up in value. i'm saying that some do.

Back