Premium Format Sideshow Thanos on Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all for the ex being valuable but mines will be kept sealed and protected in my room, i'll display the reg since I got two from the comic store by my place. For me since I missed doom pf, this is the next major throne statue ssc has put out, and magneto might not even be that good, so I'm just going to sell the reg in the future if I decide to even sell them, if not then it's all good, maybe just maybe decide to give the second reg away down the road instead of selling them to a friend as gift.

See, this is my problem with the ridiculous aftermarket prices people seem to be determined to give this Thanos MAQ. Will the EX be more than the REG in the aftermarket? Of course. Will it be $800 or more than the REG upon release. I doubt it. Here's the point most people around here are missing. Let's look at the early SSC grails. Start with Cap. The EX is a few hundred more than the REG. However, a REG will set you back about a G. Same with Gambit, Thor, and a few more of the older desirable PFs. This even applies to what many consider SSC's top grail. The OG Doom PF. The EX is worth more than the REG. However, a REG will set you back thousands of dollars. My point is simple. A grail is a statue where both the EX and the REG will set you back some serious coin. In all cases, the REG and the EX are both expensive and sought after. Name me any Ex SSC Marvel statue that sells for serious coin where the REG is still at or near retail. Can anyone think of one?

Now, I'm supposed to believe that Thanos' EX COH sets a new bar and is worth a minimal of $800 more in the aftermarket than the REG (in some cases $1800 more according to members on the forums), and the REG isn't sold out or even have an ES yet? Not to mention it's readily available at retail from numerous sources. There's only 2 sets of people who can believe this theory. Collectors who have the EX POd and flippers who want to sell you an EX Thanos MAQ for $2000 to $4000 right now. The hype train doesn't go fast enough for them. They want to turn it into a bullet train. Sorry, I'm not buying it. If the EX Thanos MAQ is selling North of $2000, then you can be sure the REG is sold out as well and selling for only a couple of hundred dollars less than the EX.

There's always someone willing to overpay for an EX. There'll always be some clueless collector who sooner or later hits the ridiculous BIN price for a statue on ebay because they can't wait or they fall for the hype. A smart collector is patient and waits for an auction or someone who's not trying to rape them on the forums. So, to all of you that want to drop $2000 or more for this EX now...go for it. It's your money.

Good points, no doubt, but I do think that Thanos is a bit different in that I think Sideshow made a mistake in making the preferred portrait the exclusive. I can't think of a better example of a must-have EX.

Good points, no doubt, but I do think that Thanos is a bit different in that I think Sideshow made a mistake in making the preferred portrait the exclusive. I can't think of a better example of a must-have EX.

It still all boils down to a switch out portrait. There have been plenty of Marvel PFs that have had great EX portraits. I'm sorry, but IMO, there is no greater SSC Marvel EX than the original Cap PF. Nothing else even comes close as far as I'm concerned. You had an old school COH, a switch out WW 2 shield, and a WW 2 helmet for him to stand on. Then you could put his modern head and shield on, and then have him standing on Ultron's head. That's 2 totally different statues available to a collector with the EX features offered. No one can convince me that a smiling Thanos portrait can come close to matching those EX Cap features. Thanos IS Thanos. Whether he's got a smug grinning look on his face or a stern one. No one will look at this Thanos MAQ and say that either portrait looks bad. There may be a preference of one portrait over the other. That doesn't make it a MUST HAVE EX. There aren't many of those as far as I'm concerned and the OG Cap PF certainly qualifies as one. And how much more is that game breaking EX feature selling for when compared to the REG? Yeah, a couple hundred bucks more.

Again, if anyone wants to believe that the EX feature on Thanos is worth $800 or more at this time (and only going to go for more when it's released)...go ahead and believe it. That's exactly what EX owners want to hear and flippers are counting on.

I'll only add that the exclusive seems increasingly desirable in this hobby. Look at Bloodborne, where some collectors are hesitant to buy the reg because it doesn't include a cup.

It still all boils down to a switch out portrait. There have been plenty of Marvel PFs that have had great EX portraits. I'm sorry, but IMO, there is no greater SSC Marvel EX than the original Cap PF. Nothing else even comes close as far as I'm concerned. You had an old school COH, a switch out WW 2 shield, and a WW 2 helmet for him to stand on. Then you could put his modern head and shield on, and then have him standing on Ultron's head. That's 2 totally different statues available to a collector with the EX features offered. No one can convince me that a smiling Thanos portrait can come close to matching those EX Cap features. Thanos IS Thanos. Whether he's got a smug grinning look on his face or a stern one. No one will look at this Thanos MAQ and say that either portrait looks bad. There may be a preference of one portrait over the other. That doesn't make it a MUST HAVE EX. There aren't many of those as far as I'm concerned and the OG Cap PF certainly qualifies as one. And how much more is that game breaking EX feature selling for when compared to the REG? Yeah, a couple hundred bucks more.

Again, if anyone wants to believe that the EX feature on Thanos is worth $800 or more at this time (and only going to go for more when it's released)...go ahead and believe it. That's exactly what EX owners want to hear and flippers are counting on.

:lecture :good post: If you look at XM studios, who are top of the line when it comes to statues and QC. Their Knight of the Rising Sun Samurai Batman originally costed $705 and came with the following:
THE BATMAN SAMURAI PREMIUM COLLECTIBLES STATUE FEATURES:
Approximately 51 cm tall (from head to toe)
Crafted from cold-cast porcelain
Includes four (5) head sculpts; Regular Cowl, Samurai Cowl, Demon Mask , Unmasked and Rage mode
One (1) left hand with interchangeable parts (for holding either, Sword, Batarang, crunch fist or relaxed fist)
Two (2) interchangeable right hand (for holding either Grappling gun, Sword, Batarang and relaxed fist)
Two (2) interchangeable chest plates (black bat logo and red bat logo)
Two (2) interchangeable shoulder plates (samurai style and normal )

All this and we can't get two head sculpts for Thanos at $1200. Interesting.

I think they should've given everyone both head sculpts and made the exclusive a signed art print or something to that extent. Not cool to keep a piece so central to the character away from everyone, plus they would've sold a ton more doing this IMO.
With that said, I'm done beating a dead horse, it is what it is. I'll just take my regular, be happy and ride off into the sunset.

I'll only add that the exclusive seems increasingly desirable in this hobby. Look at Bloodborne, where some collectors are hesitant to buy the reg because it doesn't include a cup.

I believe that the only reason the REGs on the Thanos MAQ are so readily available is because the ES is TBD and the price tag is $1200. I can't speak on Bloodborne. I limit myself to Marvel and DC pieces. That's pricey enough for me as it is. :lol

Just got an email that my waitlist will be cancelled next Tuesday. I'm on the portion of the waitlist they don't expect to be filled

Just got an email that my waitlist will be cancelled next Tuesday. I'm on the portion of the waitlist they don't expect to be filled

I got the same one ...... ordered within minutes of it going to waitlist. And I gota say I am kinda pissed, Over the last 3 years of me collecting I have spent over $12000-16000 on SSC stuff. The fact that from what I have read , there is a good number of first time buyers that got the EX many of which are flippers no doubt is VERY VERY irritating. I don't know what would fix the problem because having it reserved for members would be BS but maybe have something like PCS saying the statue will go live at 1500 hours on this day. I work 40-60 hours a week .... I love the hobby but do not have time to check the SS website every 10 minutes on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I really wanted it for the EX head .... the reg is meh IMO. I will probably still purchase it but with how poorly this was handled I am very very salty towards SS right now.

Last edited:

2001901_press01-001.jpg

I got the same one ...... ordered within minutes of it going to waitlist. And I gota say I am kinda pissed, Over the last 3 years of me collecting I have spent over $12000-16000 on SSC stuff. The fact that from what I have read , there is a good number of first time buyers that got the EX many of which are flippers no doubt is VERY VERY irritating. I don't know what would fix the problem because having it reserved for members would be BS but maybe have something like PCS saying the statue will go live at 1500 hours on this day. I work 40-60 hours a week .... I love the hobby but do not have time to check the SS website every 10 minutes on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I really wanted it for the EX head .... the reg is meh IMO. I will probably still purchase it but with how poorly this was handled I am very very salty towards SS right now.

I got the e-mail too. At the moment I am hoping there will be custom heads with the notorious grin. At least I can wait to order the regular instead of throwing my deposit down. I assume Prime 1 might have something up their sleeve.

I just got the email too. I got the EX waiting list a few minutes after it opened up...insane. Already grabbed the regular...I can't seem to call it the collector yet. This makes me grumpy....yay weekend.

How do you know the motivations of the 750 people who bought the statue?

It's safe to say that people buying a $1200 statue also work. How was this poorly handled? Sideshow gave everyone the same info to purchase the statue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back