Premium Format Sideshow Thanos on Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a pic of a piece that said it was printed for SSC, so it is hard to tell if it is a recast. If people begin to recast the EX head the **** will hit the fan and rightfully so. I can already say I can see one guy here doing it.

yeah I can see the head being redone for sure....Though if they put some sort of twist on it then it would be all good then wouldn't it?? Sort of a gray area for all the guys doing custom pieces for statues isn't it??

There's nothing gray about recasting. It's theft.

Obviously, but where is it considered recasting and crossing the licensing line.....Technically anything made for these statues would be considered a recast and crossing the license agreement lines wouldn't it?? if it's any way looks like a head of Thanos then it would be crossing the line I believe... Even if it's a custom piece it's a representation of a character that is licensed to Disney.

Obviously, but where is it considered recasting and crossing the licensing line.....Technically anything made for these statues would be considered a recast and crossing the license agreement lines wouldn't it?? if it's any way looks like a head of Thanos then it would be crossing the line I believe... Even if it's a custom piece it's a representation of a character that is licensed to Disney.

You are mixing up license infraction with recast... recast means just that... re casting an already existing product to make copies. If I sculpt a brand new Thanos head I may be stepping on the license, but I am not recasting anything except perhaps the neck key, and there is a difference. One involves some creative talent where the other involves literally dropping a head in silicone and then making copies. Again both are legally dubious, but not the exact same thing.

You are mixing up license infraction with recast... recast means just that... re casting an already existing product to make copies. If I sculpt a brand new Thanos head I may be stepping on the license, but I am not recasting anything except perhaps the neck key, and there is a difference. One involves some creative talent where the other involves literally dropping a head in silicone and then making copies. Again both are legally dubious, but not the exact same thing.

Yep got that......lol... figured both are illegal for different reasons is sort of what I was getting at..

Is it illegal to draw pictures of Thanos or a superhero for fun? No. Is it illegal to repaint your statues? No.

What is illegal to sell a custom head you created to others.

Lol...you know people won't do that

50 or so doesn't get you slapped to hard... same with prints at a con. Awhile back a licensed producer tried to report a few custom producers in a rather offhand way, the word got back to the producer via a family friend who works for one of the BIG companies that it the licensed producer was trying to make waves. Nothing ever came of it. Simply put the man license holder didn't care that much because the numbers were so small. It is a gamble for sure, but not much tends to happen. At least not with custom heads.

Is it illegal to draw pictures of Thanos or a superhero for fun? No. Is it illegal to repaint your statues? No.

What is illegal to sell a custom head you created to others.

The selling is the issue. Profiting off the intellectual property of a company that you don't own is the issue. The thing is that it is a bit of a lame duck at times because.... companies love artists to make prints and pics of their characters to spread the word so to speak, but don't make to many. They don't come down to hard in spcuatom statue makers or the sculptors, again as long as the numbers aren't to high. Now, don't piss them off though or you will pay for it. Also, in the end it is usually the best idea to stay away from any Disney characters proper like say Mickey or Donald or you may be in hot water.

Exactly, publicity is good whether good bad or non licensed at times.
I would think if someone was to do a run of 25-50 heads they wouldn't care, but do a run of 200 heads and that i'm sure will attract attention..

Exactly, publicity is good whether good bad or non licensed at times.
I would think if someone was to do a run of 25-50 heads they wouldn't care, but do a run of 200 heads and that i'm sure will attract attention..

If someone was to copy the SSC EX head though, even just 25-50, I know SSC could go after them, and they could do it as it is the theft of their work.

Last edited:
There will plenty of Exclusive and Custom heads to go around. SS can't do anything about it. Just don't sell them on this board.

If you wanna be real safe just get a 3d printer and print the damn head out yourself. Or the entire Statue. Ppl are now selling files for basically any piece you need, for certain statues. Sometimes you gotta jump in a rocket ship and go exploring.

There were 4-5 custom heads made for the XM Wolverine, 4-5 for XM Magneto, at least 2 for XM Thanos, 2 for XM Jean Grey, several for the PF Joker, and on and on. There will be plenty of Thanos heads and one or two arms to choose from. Someone will probably do a base extension with the standard Marvel trophies, Mjolnir, Cap's broken shield, Iron Man's helmet and so forth.

If you wanna be real safe just get a 3d printer and print the damn head out yourself. Or the entire Statue. Ppl are now selling files for basically any piece you need, for certain statues. Sometimes you gotta jump in a rocket ship and go exploring.

Do you have a recommendation on a good printer. I'm waiting for a high resolution unit to come down to a relatively affordable price.

Sideshow will manually process ur flexpays early so long as you leave the final payment alone

Only $600 left on this bad boy for me

Also paid off majority of Jane Foster Thor

And some of Spider-Man 2099

This is great, any spare change I have will just knock down the prices closer and closer to release date

The Prime 1 Venom and Spider-Man I was worried about but now anything I sell on eBay will just go towards chipping away at these 2 pieces in particular

Great feature I hope nothing spoils it

Back