Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! Mine all mine! Just a camera phone (hence the less than razor sharp focus) and a well placed table lamp. The lighting is everything.

Very nice and congrats. I know you were really looking forward to him. I agree, with most statues lighting is critical as well as display. That is one area I like to challenge the community. Everyone likes taking a flash shot up close and complaining. My thought is often why don't you put it in a nice case uncluttered and add some quality lighting to it and take a pic from 2-3 ft away. Now what do you think? Oh wait, your putting it back in the box so cant do that :lol

Well it took me a few days to gather the courage to open this guy up after the PVC debate, early photos, and YouTube reviews, as I was worried of being disappointed... but man am I glad I didn't cancel! I don't want to duplicate the reviews/posts from folks like Jimbits76, QuiGonFishing, or mattmann6886, but overall this is an extremely impressive piece. Even in spite of it's short stature when placed next to the comic PF.

Don't get me wrong, I have many concerns such as the foot pegs inhibiting the left foot placement, the neck collar being flush with the neck (suggesting a zero thickness suit), poly-seam lines, etc. but they are minor and nit-picky at this point. The largest concern, and something I'm not taking lightly is the use of "high quality" PVC (which only reflects molecular weight, and subsequent molecular weight distributions of the polymer sample; I'm a nerd, sorry), or how the PVC issue has been handled thus far by SS. The lack of heft makes it feel cheap when handled, and he is quite loose in the base, which I find is noticeable while manipulating the cape; something I'm constantly doing to get the right "look". However, when placed on a shelf and in person, this thing blows me away each and every time I look at it. The paint apps are stellar, the base is well done, and the suit... oh the suit... just fantastic! Puts the plasticized HT suit to shame! This thing will really display well with some harsh overhead lighting, where the shadows limit the shine of the PVC allowing a nice highlight of the sculpt, and accentuates the metallic feel of the suit.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. Sliding up the left sleeve to see the metallic coating on the PVC likely highlights the rationale for its use to give the suit that characteristic look, however I still really wish he was made of polystone.

I'm passing on it coz I wasn't that into the fig in the first place - buying figs of brand new movies is not my bag baby

Oh ok.

The bottom line with this statue is NOT whether it's a statue to keep or return BUT rather this question: "is this a pf statue that is worthy of charging $400+ based on historical pricing of premium formats"? To put it another way, who here would have seriously paid $400+ cash tomorrow for a plastic item regardless of the quality cut n sew?

If it was a 1/4 scale action figure made by either Hot Toys or EB with a brilliant/realistic paint job and accurate head sculpt then yes I would pay that much for a plastic item. However, I just could not pay that much for a statue that is totally non poseable and thus just feels like a rubber figure, no matter how nice the costume looked.

Moreover, since when did you and I lower our standards so much as to accept plastic for a $400+ premium format? I mean, c'mon. Social media has been relentless and steadfast on SS about this game-changing plastic decision that it has forever changed the SIdeshow brand. Googling Sideshow will always pull these type of threads up. Then again, notice how Sideshow doesn't care less about what's being said on the Internet. The only response we get is from "informal" guys who just happen to be surfin' the web. Most reputable companies would have unleashed the social-media hounds on by now to FORMALLY address this major business debacle.

Well like I said in a previous post there are no alternatives to Sideshow as far as movie MM statues go so people have no choice but to buy this statue if they want a MOS that is MM.

Here's another way to look at it: If tomorrow's $400+ Grail came in PLASTIC, but a great cut-n-sew, is that okay OR would you finally start to consider Sideshow competitors? Any SS competitor paying attention will jump on this unique opportunity to win over collectors who have finally had enough.

That would be great if they made them MM.

Where I come from, we get fired on the job for horrific business decisions such as blind-siding core customers. The fact that Sideshow's executives haven't addressed this topic FORMALLY means you and I don't matter to them. That is a business decision they have now consciously made. Insult to injury.

Yeah but they never had cared, their move actor statues are painted like **** and now they are making most of the statues hollow, which most collectors don't like because it makes them weigh less, granted not as light as PVC though but lighter than most collectors are use to.

When I got into this hobby, by trial and error of items Ive ignorantly purchased, varied in material. From porcelain, pvc and polystone And over time I found my niche taste for polystone. I just never liked pvc, the texture, the weight.

Can't argue about the weight but PVC is the way to go if u want the head sculpt on your statue to look similar to real skin. PVC head sculpts look more realistic than Polystone head sculpts provided both are painted on the same level.

Most of all it made me feel like I had a toy, rather than something highly regarded from both collectors and non collectors alike. Sideshow is pushing the boundaries and seeing how far they can charge us with cheaper materials. Now using decals as well.

They are using decals to avoid that googly eye effect, which is what Hot Toys and EBs do to. However, you are right a fully PVC statue just feels like a cheap rubber toy.

There will be other competitors and Ill just be forced to go elsewhere.

I hope you are right, if there will be other competitors that will make these type of movie MM statues, I will also go with them to. :pray:

I'll stop boring you with these, I'm just really happy...

ROwf1g.jpg

And before anyone can't help themselves, yes, Sideshow wins/gets away with it again. I'm OK with that.

I'm glad you received yours and like it.

guys i didn't buy this piece but have heard a lot of ruckus about it, whats the deal? apparently it is made of plastic or pvc or god knows what? I don't mean to rehash at all and am just genuinely curious and as someone who buys SS products I just would appreciate the insight..thanks!

guys i didn't buy this piece but have heard a lot of ruckus about it, whats the deal? apparently it is made of plastic or pvc or god knows what? I don't mean to rehash at all and am just genuinely curious and as someone who buys SS products I just would appreciate the insight..thanks!

The thread pretty much explains the non-controversy. If you like what you see and aren't using it as a paperweight - buy it.

The thread pretty much explains the non-controversy. If you like what you see and aren't using it as a paperweight - buy it.

I wouldn't say that it's a non-controversy. There are people who like it and people who don't. I hate mine, and think it looks like ****. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. I could care less about the weight. This statue is no where near the quality of the other Superman PF , and it only $20 cheaper. I preordered this day one and I am hoping Sideshow will give me a refund.

Sorry Dave there are a lot of guys on FB and elsewhere who are terrible upset with the fact that SSC didn't inform them of the switch. As SSC has stated 99% of their statues are polystone, and I personally believe that if they are going to deviate from that they should inform the customers first, and give them a chance to get a refund before the piece ships out. This is very much a bait and switch when you look at what was expected and what was delivered in terms of materials.

Sorry Dave there are a lot of guys on FB and elsewhere who are terrible upset with the fact that SSC didn't inform them of the switch. As SSC has stated 99% of their statues are polystone, and I personally believe that if they are going to deviate from that they should inform the customers first, and give them a chance to get a refund before the piece ships out. This is very much a bait and switch when you look at what was expected and what was delivered in terms of materials.

Absolutely correct.

I'm just waiting to see what Sideshow will say about my request for a refund. Looks like I will have to cancel my Chris Reeve statue also. This really sucks. I was hoping to have my 2 favorite Superman portrayals next to my comic version for the big trifecta.

I'm just waiting to see what Sideshow will say about my request for a refund. Looks like I will have to cancel my Chris Reeve statue also. This really sucks. I was hoping to have my 2 favorite Superman portrayals next to my comic version for the big trifecta.

Sorry about your disappointment. But hey, look at the bright side, you got the best Superman pf out of all them.

so what happened then is it really made of plastic or something??

Yeah, it's pretty much all PVC. I don't really care about the weight of it, even though it feels like a cheap toy. I do care that he looks horrible ,and cheap looking. To me, it's just not worth the cash. To each his own though. I'm certainly not going to fault anyone for like theirs though.

Is this the first time they've done that on a PF? Does anyone know if they plan on doing that for any other pieces going forward? Also I checked out the description it says PVC, was that there beforehand or not until after it shipped?

Is this the first time they've done that on a PF? Does anyone know if they plan on doing that for any other pieces going forward? Also I checked out the description it says PVC, was that there beforehand or not until after it shipped?

For this piece? No, it wasn't in the description. Sideshow didn't say a peep about the change until it surfaced on the forums...after people started getting it in hand.

According to SS, most pieces going forward will be polystone.

Back