Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the paint or the sculpt looks bad, I actually think it looks good compared to SSC's other attempts (lol hemsworth thor, Black widow-- yuck). However, they should have announced the change in materials, I feel as though I was deceived by them into buying something I may not have purchased had I known upfront. They opened themselves up to a major class action lawsuit by not being forthcoming about this.

I spoke to Ss cs. They seemingly had no idea it was pvc and are now under fire from those seeking the same answers as us. The response from them was polite and a simple we will let you know more when we know more. They did recommend me telling fed ex to refuse at customs for a return and refund as I'll be out of pocket if I accept and I'm unhappy.
I'm torn, I like the look but worry about longevity.

Ss have responded at SF. Same thing, suit, more expensive, high quality etc. This really has damaged my consumer confidence in sideshow.

Darkavatar it wasn't meant to be a slight. I collect hot tots and agree. I'm actually hoping the new mystery 1/4 hot toys is a reve Supes. I don't refer to Hot Toys as dolls but figures. This one piece plastic 'statue' is a doll, like some sort of uber injection molded dolly and 400 bucks is a lot of money to ask.

Sideshow statement as posted at SF:

Just so you guys know, we only went with non-polystone on this because that's the only way to control the cut & sew printed element for the ENTIRE suit. Comparing this to a koto all-sculpt piece is apples to bulldozers.

We dont always advertise on the front end what the material will be because frankly we dont know, but the only reason we went plastic on the body was to get the suit made, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible as a cut & sew item.

Wonder Woman, Powergirl, any other "all sculpt" item will more than likely be resin, same for 99.9% of all the statues we have ever made.

At the end of the day, just because it's "plastic" AGAIN, doesn't make it cheaper to produce, it's always more expensive, drastically more-so on low-runs like this. So you're actually getting a more expensive piece.

Plastics hold better shape and better detail than resin does. It's actually a far superior material than resin, but people LOVE the resin because it weighs more…

Anyways, not saying you don't have a right to complain not knowing EXACTLY what you're getting, but at the end of the day you're supposed to get what you see in the gallery. If it's not up to your expectations, return it.

Just so you guys know, we only went with non-polystone on this because that's the only way to control the cut & sew printed element for the ENTIRE suit. Comparing this to a koto all-sculpt piece is apples to bulldozers.

We dont always advertise on the front end what the material will be because frankly we dont know, but the only reason we went plastic on the body was to get the suit made, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible as a cut & sew item.

Wonder Woman, Powergirl, any other "all sculpt" item will more than likely be resin, same for 99.9% of all the statues we have ever made.

At the end of the day, just because it's "plastic" AGAIN, doesn't make it cheaper to produce, it's always more expensive, drastically more-so on low-runs like this. So you're actually getting a more expensive piece.

Plastics hold better shape and better detail than resin does. It's actually a far superior material than resin, but people LOVE the resin because it weighs more…

Anyways, not saying you don't have a right to complain not knowing EXACTLY what you're getting, but at the end of the day you're supposed to get what you see in the gallery. If it's not up to your expectations, return it.

Then he later says hes not sure if its PVC or another plastic in MOS. Whats going here? :dunno

If PVC is more expensive then why are Neca selling there PVC toys for hundreds less? seriously SS

So many divergent comments... on the phone (as per Jimbits76) they had no idea it was PVC... on the SF response, they were well aware. I don't know if it was intentional misleading, as I'm sure many would cancel knowing it was PVC, but managing the expectations of your customers is critical. Frankly, I think a lot of us make our decisions on PF's based on the SDCC pre-production pieces, not gallery images online. Based on that, and lack of physical sightings this year, all discussions from SDCC a few years ago pointed to a polystone statue, with an expertly designed suit, and an infinitely poseable cape. In the end, though, we only get an expertly designed suit.

I'm so torn because it's nowhere near what I expected. However, if I decline it or return it, then I don't have a 1/4 scale MOS figure in my collection.

So many divergent comments... on the phone (as per Jimbits76) they had no idea it was PVC... on the SF response, they were well aware. I don't know if it was intentional misleading, as I'm sure many would cancel knowing it was PVC, but managing the expectations of your customers is critical. Frankly, I think a lot of us make our decisions on PF's based on the SDCC pre-production pieces, not gallery images online. Based on that, and lack of physical sightings this year, all discussions from SDCC a few years ago pointed to a polystone statue, with an expertly designed suit, and an infinitely poseable cape. In the end, though, we only get an expertly designed suit.

I'm so torn because it's nowhere near what I expected. However, if I decline it or return it, then I don't have a 1/4 scale MOS figure in my collection.

They'll probably make new pfs when the new movies come out.

Ya but they will have the same problem with the suit, so 2.0 will be plastic too. I expect them to have the same Tailoring issues with the ASM2 PF. So I guess we need to avoid that one too if its ever released

Trying my best not to sound over the top cynical here, but you're assuming that the story about the suit is an honest and accurate account. I have no evidence, conclusive or otherwise, to assume the statement is anything other than honest and accurate, but it is at least possible that this statement is cover for flying out a test balloon to see how we'd react to use of a (potentially cost saving) new material at the same price point as polystone. Not making any statements here, but if I'm reading the mood on the fan base correctly here, it possible that for version 2.0 (and ANYTHING subsequent to this fiasco, for that matter) the decision will be polystone or nothing based on the reception of this piece, despite what costume challenges they face.

I'm reasonably sure that the proto was polystone, and that suit looked pretty amazing too. PVC might well have been easier to work with in this regard, but the question I guarantee Sideshow is asking itself right now is, "at what cost". Just spit balling here, really... Take it for what its worth.

I'm reasonably sure that the proto was polystone, and that suit looked pretty amazing too. PVC might well have been easier to work with in this regard, but the question I guarantee Sideshow is asking itself right now is, "at what cost". Just spit balling here, really... Take it for what its worth.

Fully agreed! Check out these screen captures below from the YouTube post of kalelsupes808. The lines where the front and rear mould were joined are clearly visible. Certainly not something that was seen on the prototype... And for those of you who have the figure in hand, are these seams really that noticeable?

Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpg

Fully agreed! Check out these screen captures below from the YouTube post of kalelsupes808. The lines where the front and rear mould were joined are clearly visible. Certainly not something that was seen on the prototype... And for those of you who have the figure in hand, are these seams really that noticeable?

View attachment 142751View attachment 142752

Sammy, are you also a member over on SF? If so, you should post this. If not, do you mind if I do? They will have kittens over this. might be fun t watch...

Sammy, are you also a member over on SF? If so, you should post this. If not, do you mind if I do? They will have kittens over this. might be fun t watch...

No, I'm not a member over on SF... Feel free, and post away! Be sure to let us know here what discussions come up.

Back