Statue Sideshow Superman Chris Reeve PF 1/4 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot all about this, I really do hope it sees the light of day soon

Looks like the sculpt changed from stern to more of a smirk.

I will probably buy regardless since I am Reeves fan.

The last Reeves PF that SSC made a few years ago (with the dam/water base) had a face sculpt that could of been better.

Gallery is up. $585. No exclusive.

Superman-The-Movie-Premium-Format-Figure-DC-Comics-Collectibles-1.jpg

It's cool and nostalgic and all, but it's incredibly boring. They got me used to all of the newer dynamic PFs, that this just comes off dull and unimaginative.

Its not boring, its elegant. Sideshow tried dynamic with the last attempt and look how that turned out.
I will say that of all the licensed releases to date, this captures Reeve's actual proportions and stature. Its easily the most accurate costume too. There's something about the portrait that's throwing it off though - issues with the left eye and I think the eyebrows have softened the expression too much. Repaint those with the correct arch and that might solve it...

Its not boring, its elegant. Sideshow tried dynamic with the last attempt and look how that turned out.
I will say that of all the licensed releases to date, this captures Reeve's actual proportions and stature. Its easily the most accurate costume too. There's something about the portrait that's throwing it off though - issues with the left eye and I think the eyebrows have softened the expression too much. Repaint those with the correct arch and that might solve it...

I agree. The simplicity of the base and pose are perfect to me. I will gladly preorder this when it goes up. The sculpt looks decent, but I am sure it will suffer in production with paint. I passed on the last version, this one I can’t refuse.

Hopefully Queen Studios is doing a 1/4 (or 1/3) Reeve Superman. Their head sculpt artists are far superior with respect to real actors' likeness. The sideshow Ledger Joker was terrible.

Yea, I agree. This looks way more elegant and better for something like Reeve. The previous PF lacked in multiple aspects aside from the really bad pose choice. Costume is pretty accurate aside from the sewn in shield. Here the shield is just printed, though I get it. The previous PF tried doing a sewn in shield and that turned out awful too with rounded corners and different sized edges etc.
I agree. The simplicity of the base and pose are perfect to me. I will gladly preorder this when it goes up. The sculpt looks decent, but I am sure it will suffer in production with paint. I passed on the last version, this one I can’t refuse.

Yes unfortunately, no matter how much Sideshow ups their prices, they can't seem to improve on their production paint. I probably won't PO. I'll wait for production pics before I decide.

I like the simplicity of it, I just don't trust SS with the headsculpt.

With these other companies like Queen Studios the bar has been raised as to what is considered good enough for 1/4 actor likenesses.

the pose is perfect. if you are a real fan of the version portrayed by this actor you could not ask for anything different, except maybe his arms crossed.

the pose is perfect. if you are a real fan of the version portrayed by this actor you could not ask for anything different, except maybe his arms crossed.

yeah, he's definitely stood like that in the movies, I forget which scenes, very casual and relaxed. Small base looks great too, he doesn't need anything fancy. The pose does embody Reeve Superman very well, if they had a Queens Studio or Infinity Studio or even Prime 1 artist for the head sculpt, that would've been awesome. Regardless, I am still getting this because I loved Christopher Reeve as Superman and it looks close enough compared to say their recent Ledger Joker. I have the Hot Toys posed with fists on hips and I think they would compliment each other.

Could not agree with you more. This piece is Reeve all day. Remember, he was more of a model Superman. They wanted to showcase the suit and have the perfect pose. Those were the shots they were looking for. This is definitely coming to my collection. I think the sculpt looks great.

Hate the head sculpt. Not an ounce of heroic to it. That stupid looking sheepish grin makes it look like he's embarrassed to be there. The eyes looking off center makes it even worse. Too bad because the rest of the statue looks nice. Leave it to SS to screw it up.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for a great Christopher Reeve Superman statue, unfortunately this is not it! IMO with a Reeve superman you don't necessarily need to be dynamic but with that, you absolutely must have a near perfect head sculpt to compensate for that. This sculpt is off for sure. I'll definitely wait for production pics before i order this. Sideshow should maybe consider staying away from movie accurate sculpts and stick to comics.

The ES is TBD right? There's no need to rush to pre-order, if it's a high number we can probably wait to see final production photos, maybe get a discount or free shipping yes?

Preorder placed. I like the overall look of of it, the 1/4 scale and the classic movie pose. I agree that the headsculpt isn't perfect but feel I will be happy in hand. Will go great with the SS Artprint.

The ES is TBD right? There's no need to rush to pre-order, if it's a high number we can probably wait to see final production photos, maybe get a discount or free shipping yes?

it will be around for a very long time. no exclusive version as well. I am waiting for inhand pics from collectors before making up my mind. the mixed media on the last one left a lot to be desired (especially the cape) and of course I want to see a factory painted portrait.

Back