1/6 Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from a few minor things with the helmet, it looks fairly accurate to me. A side arm would be good, but I don't remember the TIE pilots in ANH having any.

Has anyone posted a screengrab of the pilots from ANH yet?

SWIV_6800.jpg

Trooper repaint... in smashing purple...

SWIV_7312.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone posted a screengrab of the pilots from ANH yet?

View attachment 124186

Hehe, that shot is one of my favourites in the film. I like the way the pilots walk off behind Vader, they appear to be mucking about. I almost expected one of them to poke the other in the ribs.

It makes me sad when they get blown up.

The pilot with the stripes on his helmet appears to be the bad ass to Vader's right in flight -- he shoots Wedge and someone else I think, he's the one Vader asks to "Cover me".

TieCap3.jpg

The guy without stripes is to the left of Vader and says "Look out!" and then for some reason crashes into the boss for no reason.

ny8zf7.jpg

So who is this with the silver square on his forehead?

star-wars-tie-fighter-pilot.jpg

BTW, they all have great silver teeth. Does the Sideshow TIE?

attachment.php

NO! It doesn't. Why the hell not?

I never knew there were different helmets/specific pilots, until Gentle Giant made the Mini-Busts. I first saw Star Wars ANH the year it came out and my 8 year old mind did not pick up all these details. Even watching the movie thousands of times over the last few decades, I thought differences were just lighting issues. :dunno

Even at the beginning, Lucas had a penchant for 'clone' variations.

I guess the 'blank' Sideshiw pilot is good so we can choose which pilot we want on the shelf. I think I'll take the simplified "clumsy" pilot to the left.... although the striped pilot is the bad-ass.

So the jumpsuit is the same as the Luke one only in black correct? The gloves and boots are also the same?

My understanding was they were all the same, dyed different colors. ATST driver, Imperial scanning crew, rebel ground crew, Hoth base crew, A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing pilots etc etc - all the same.

My understanding was they were all the same, dyed different colors. ATST driver, Imperial scanning crew, rebel ground crew, Hoth base crew, A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing pilots etc etc - all the same.

resized_conspiracy-keanu-meme-generator-you-are-being-preposterous-dcf915.jpg

Using "same" and "different" in one sentence about a singular subject… :nono Clearly someone modified the pockets too, so they're "different" but "similar." ;)

I wish he had black versions of the straps around Luke's legs. It may not be movie accurate but he just seems so bare below the chest. Even so I was hoping for the Biker Scout but this guy was an awesome surprise outta nowhere!

I think the figure looks pretty good! I have a TIE outfit so I'm a little more drawn to this than some, perhaps. I have a little bit of knowledge about the nuances in the uniform so I'll try to address a couple of the questions in the thread:

Besides colour, the jumpsuits are essentially the same throughout ANH: black for some Navy Troopers, Bridge Crew, Imperial Gunners and TIE pilots; grey for scanning crew and Rebel ground crew, blue for mechanical crew and orange for Rebel pilots. The only other real difference was that Rebels had an extra set of pockets near the boot (which are German jack boots--often with a side buckle). As far as I can tell, most pockets in ANH had rectangular flaps. During the filming of ESB and ROTJ, flight suits with chevron shaped pocket flaps supplanted many of the older ones from ANH. Both types of pockets were used throughout the latter two OT films.

There has been considerable debate about the differences between the TIE pilots in ANH and ROTJ. Complicating things is the fact that footage of TIE pilots shot in 1976 was used for ROTJ, as well. The 501st Legion's costume reference library maintains that ROTJ chest boxes had a third hose coming from the left lower quadrant of the chest box, while ANH lacked the third hose. Others argue for the opposite. It is argued that the rocker switches differed between films, as well. Certainly not all ROTJ TIE pilots had the third hose and there is no definitive proof that ANH Tie pilots had them or not as most shots were in-cockpit and primarily shot the shoulders and up. There's a photo of Andrew Ainsworth--the original vacuum former of the armour--mocking up an early version of the TIE gear with a third hose in 1976. Who knows how many of (or if) these made it into ANH? Perhaps they were only on the Hero TIEs, but never appeared on film?

original_TIE_1976.jpg

This Sideshow figure has chevron-shaped pocket flaps more commonly associated with ROTJ. The rocker switches look more ROTJ, as well. It lacks the third hose, but not all ROTJ pilots had that--especially those assembled in the hanger when the Emperor arrives.

In my opinion, Sideshow was trying to emulate the details of the ROTJ TIE pilot in the visual dictionary:
tfp_full1.jpg

Or this guy who was waiting for the Emperor:
scan0001hd.jpg

Back