1/6 Sideshow Star Wars Scout Trooper 1/6th Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s nothing about the SSC TIE Pilot and AT-AT driver that tells me I needed to wait for HT versions... I’m actually going to order the Snowtrooper Commander as I don’t think HT are going to release theirs and I’ve seen some great in hand shots of the SSC version. I think I’m probably going to order the SSC Scout figure at some point too.

I agree. I have the TIE Pilot and AT-AT driver as well. I'm thinking I'll probably order the Scout trooper and even Maul. I still won't buy human sculpts from Sideshow though.

There’s nothing about the SSC TIE Pilot and AT-AT driver that tells me I needed to wait for HT versions... I’m actually going to order the Snowtrooper Commander as I don’t think HT are going to release theirs and I’ve seen some great in hand shots of the SSC version. I think I’m probably going to order the SSC Scout figure at some point too.

same... I was thinking to get snowtrooper commander from them too, Scout trooper needs to come with the speeder bike so its kinda out of my budget now

very satisfy with both TIE + AT-AT

I like the SSC ATAT driver but the helmet sculpt is not 100% - the goggles/eyes sculpt is off, too sharp and angular. It's not as off as the SSC Biker Scout helmet (which I hated and sold only a few months after getting it,) but it's noticeable to me, though I'm pretty picky accuracy-wise and most wouldn't probably have an issue with it. All I'm saying is there is definitely room for improvement with a HT ATAT driver.

Death Star trooper might sink into oblivion, along with OT trooper prototypes...yet people still expecting "Hot Toys version of TIE, AT-AT, Scout" ?

Death Star trooper might sink into oblivion, along with OT trooper prototypes...yet people still expecting "Hot Toys version of TIE, AT-AT, Scout" ?

Not sure about the TIE or ATAT, but I would say a HT Scout is pretty likely given the two Endor figures HT has shown. But you're right - HT has a stupid habit of showing figs they never even put up for PO like the ROTJ stormie and Power/gonk droid.

Hi guys!
Thanks to you all for your contributions.
Anyway, my questions remain unanswered: I have pointed out a series of weird problems on this figure that are serious enough to turn it into a no-go. I can't see SSC fixing them in the new batch, so I'd really like to have your 2 cents on these problems, according to your own mileage. I have included them below for easy reference:

- Why does the trooper wear a black line across his chest? I have checked it: scouts didn't have that.
- Boots seem to be much bigger than they should.
- The ankle gun's handle is way too small. Not accurate.
- Pristine cummerbund, looks bad next to weathered anything else.
- Very lousy edges on the front of the helmet. Crawford says "intentional", I say crappy.
- Usual Sideshow problems: clothes fit is bad, needs lots of futzing, and the result is not realistic enough (base body too skinny). Also, weak articulations BAU.

So what do you say guys? Are these actually as bad as they seem to me? As slikkerias points out, I'd really like to stop waiting and buy this figure, but this set of problems is really off putting to me. This is not a fine piece of work.

Thanks!
Regards,
m.

Hi guys!
Thanks to you all for your contributions.
Anyway, my questions remain unanswered: I have pointed out a series of weird problems on this figure that are serious enough to turn it into a no-go. I can't see SSC fixing them in the new batch, so I'd really like to have your 2 cents on these problems, according to your own mileage. I have included them below for easy reference:

- Why does the trooper wear a black line across his chest? I have checked it: scouts didn't have that.
- Boots seem to be much bigger than they should.
- The ankle gun's handle is way too small. Not accurate.
- Pristine cummerbund, looks bad next to weathered anything else.
- Very lousy edges on the front of the helmet. Crawford says "intentional", I say crappy.
- Usual Sideshow problems: clothes fit is bad, needs lots of futzing, and the result is not realistic enough (base body too skinny). Also, weak articulations BAU.

So what do you say guys? Are these actually as bad as they seem to me? As slikkerias points out, I'd really like to stop waiting and buy this figure, but this set of problems is really off putting to me. This is not a fine piece of work.

Thanks!
Regards,
m.

I sold mine because:

- helmet sculpt inaccurate and quite noticeably so
- armor wasn't white enough (kind of yellowish) and too dull/matte
- crotch cover too narrow, looks like panties
- pistol too small
- boots too weathered looking and oversized
- body restrictive - arms can't lay flat on body
- body proportions awkward - everything pulled up too much

Though I managed to free up the glued flip-up visor on the helmet (it was supposed to have a human head underneath but they cut that idea during production) which was a nice bonus, and I really liked the EX rifle. Took a cast of the rifle before I sold and used it for my custom biker scout.

I sold mine because:

- pistol too small

Though I managed to free up the glued flip-up visor on the helmet (it was supposed to have a human head underneath but they cut that idea during production) which was a nice bonus, and I really liked the EX rifle. Took a cast of the rifle before I sold and used it for my custom biker scout.

I sold mine for the same reasons.

Not sure about the TIE or ATAT, but I would say a HT Scout is pretty likely given the two Endor figures HT has shown. But you're right - HT has a stupid habit of showing figs they never even put up for PO like the ROTJ stormie and Power/gonk droid.

Heck it’s nearly been a year (SDCC is next month) since they revealed the Endor figures. I’m not even confident that those are still coming out at this point. Until there’s an actual preorder, it’s getting difficult to trust HTs actually releasing anything they tease.

I like the SSC ATAT driver but the helmet sculpt is not 100% - the goggles/eyes sculpt is off, too sharp and angular. It's not as off as the SSC Biker Scout helmet (which I hated and sold only a few months after getting it,) but it's noticeable to me, though I'm pretty picky accuracy-wise and most wouldn't probably have an issue with it. All I'm saying is there is definitely room for improvement with a HT ATAT driver.

That’s probably the case if you say so, but who says that HT will get it right? I mean, the helmet of the Death Star Gunner is undersized. That’s a huge problem to me, much more than the earpieces being slightly wrong or the eyes being too sharp on the AT-AT driver. I could see them do a perfect(ish) Tie pilot helmet, but undersized to make it look more ‘right’. That would be horrible. At least SSC accepts that the actual helmet looks oversized and a bit awkward which gives it so much personality.

Just to illustrate what I mean. Sorry for bringing another figure into this thread.
The undersized helmet of the Death Star Gunner is to me a major flaw. Even if some people would think it look less awkward. I could see this happen to the Tie pilot and AT-AT driver as well.
0f81cc11636a89e15e15c83f586bdc5f.jpg

That’s probably the case if you say so, but who says that HT will get it right? I mean, the helmet of the Death Star Gunner is undersized. That’s a huge problem to me, much more than the earpieces being slightly wrong or the eyes being too sharp on the AT-AT driver. I could see them do a perfect(ish) Tie pilot helmet, but undersized to make it look more ‘right’. That would be horrible. At least SSC accepts that the actual helmet looks oversized and a bit awkward which gives it so much personality.

Oh, I rag on HT just as much - people are usually coming after me for defending SSC. HT has dropped the ball on Vader, Stormie and Fett so far on terms of nailing the sculpt. All I'm saying is it'd be great if HT has a go at new versions of those figs because it's another chance that it will look right (they nailed the Snowie) but it's just as likely they won't.

I will say that I feel like SSC hasn't done that well on troopers in the past few years. Even their old Snowie had a terrible helmet sculpt, viewed as such at the time, and the TIE pilot and ATAT driver both had pretty glaring sculpt errors (even though I loved the crisp paint on the ATAT driver.) The Snowie Commander had issues too (awful holster, helmet flared skirt too thick, those damn fat/oversized SSC gloves again that were goofy on the ATAT driver) but overall it's a solid return to form for SSC.

But yeah, the HT Imperial Gunner is indeed a very sub-par release - horrible badly sculpted hands with the same awful two part design like insect claws Vader, the tunic that tears easily and the inaccurate rifle. I don't even like the jumpsuit - the SSC TIE one is superior. And the much-wished for HT DS Trooper figure has a too-small helmet also. But... the HT Snowie (other the crap boots and squashy height) was a stellar figure that really stands out. That's why I'd love to see them go for other troopers.

Oh, I rag on HT just as much - people are usually coming after me for defending SSC. HT has dropped the ball on Vader, Stormie and Fett so far on terms of nailing the sculpt. All I'm saying is it'd be great if HT has a go at new versions of those figs because it's another chance that it will look right (they nailed the Snowie) but it's just as likely they won't.

I will say that I feel like SSC hasn't done that well on troopers in the past few years. Even their old Snowie had a terrible helmet sculpt, viewed as such at the time, and the TIE pilot and ATAT driver both had pretty glaring sculpt errors (even though I loved the crisp paint on the ATAT driver.) The Snowie Commander had issues too (awful holster, helmet flared skirt too thick, those damn fat/oversized SSC gloves again that were goofy on the ATAT driver) but overall it's a solid return to form for SSC.

But yeah, the HT Imperial Gunner is indeed a very sub-par release - horrible badly sculpted hands with the same awful two part design like insect claws Vader, the tunic that tears easily and the inaccurate rifle. I don't even like the jumpsuit - the SSC TIE one is superior. And the much-wished for HT DS Trooper figure has a too-small helmet also. But... the HT Snowie (other the crap boots and squashy height) was a stellar figure that really stands out. That's why I'd love to see them go for other troopers.

Yep, that sums it up pretty well [emoji4] ...and yes, the snowier is great apart from those awful boots, can’t see and the paint job on them.

Ok, so I got the scout and the bike today. Most of the issues I agree with and I would also assume that a HT version would probably be superior. I especially don’t like the tiny jockstrap, the inaccurate knee guards and the body... but hey, he’s gonna sit on his bike anyways so I won’t notice that.
ea210a93339dada12865b022a7596062.jpg

Wow...
It is going to be a pass. Those boots... I do like the weathering, but the size is Hasbroish...
It is really hard to believe that SSC managed to pull off such a beast as the speeder bike, but failed to nail this figure...

HT will make the scout trooper. They are not done yet with the OT. In fact, they have just begun with ROTJ. In fact, they will do everybody, given enough time.

Anyway, it wows me that the helmet could be cracked open. Is there some quide to do it? Is it very difficult? Once open, could you cram a head into it, graciously? Is the result worth the effort?

Thanks,
m.
I sold mine because:

- pistol too small

Thanks man.
It is sad. I really wanted to have 2 very different Scouts...
I will have to buy 2 HT scouts and try to differentiate them, even though I am not a painter... Ankle extenders, fatsuit... Any other way to differentiate 2 units of the same figure? Do ankle extenders work well, or are they more of a PITA?

I hope HT will make the helmet so that it can be opened and detached, showing a highly detailed interior. That would be awesome.

Regards,
m.

Ok, so I got the scout and the bike today. Most of the issues I agree with and I would also assume that a HT version would probably be superior. I especially don’t like the tiny jockstrap, the inaccurate knee guards and the body... but hey, he’s gonna sit on his bike anyways so I won’t notice that.
ea210a93339dada12865b022a7596062.jpg

Thanks man.
It is sad. I really wanted to have 2 very different Scouts...
I will have to buy 2 HT scouts and try to differentiate them, even though I am not a painter... Ankle extenders, fatsuit... Any other way to differentiate 2 units of the same figure? Do ankle extenders work well, or are they more of a PITA?

I hope HT will make the helmet so that it can be opened and detached, showing a highly detailed interior. That would be awesome.

Regards,
m.

Dunno, I’m pretty happy with him. The boots doesn’t bother me really and I like the weathering. You don’t really see the issues when he’s on his bike. But yes, when HT finally makes this it’s probably gonna be superior... have a nice time waiting 2-5 years for him.
58e357af7d861f93aef70c06d6ca3414.jpg

2a4df390252c7ec9a8808ae63f870ef0.jpg

And take a look at these pictures of one of the original costumes and decide for yourself how off you really think it is. Boots aren’t that far off to be honest. Only thing that really bothers me is the small jockstrap and you don’t see that when posed on the bike.
01e0e310e22d6100b8beafbcbad38be6.jpg

87d772d0241f971889c9c3f0ebe4d7e9.jpg

Back