Sideshow Spike Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not impressed with the human head. Or the price increase. Or the double standard when it comes to the women of Buffy versus the guys.

Sue has a point. Unless they're digitally scanned, Sideshow's human likenesses are more miss than hit. The spike/stake thing and the vague likeness OTOH are in keeping with the line's fantasy nature so far. I figure it's some kind of likeness/licensing thing that they haven't gotten any of the releases exactly true to the show or the original actor.

They really f'd up Willow. The best thing about it was the headsculpt and the paintjob blew that.

Soooooo, It's not just me then? :lol

I'm more then willing to believe that the lighting in the photos isn't doing the human faced version any favors, so I'll reserve judgement until I see more. But yes the increase in price is well out of order imo.

Yeah, where is our 'whore Spike' anyway? :lol

Really? This wasn't expected?
Isn't everybody already used to SS charging more for the male (therefore, usually, larger) statues in a particular line?

Last edited:
statue looks good. unfortunately i only have cash and space for 1 statue line and i chose the LOTR maquettes over these. but at least i can still look at the pics. can't wait to see the Angel statue. hope he is in a better pose than the PF.

I also hope he's got a better sculpt then that version. Although I wouldn't part with mine, I have to say I didn't think much of the human face, but the vamp head was superb.

Throne - $250
Willow - $225
Faith - $250
Spike - $260

It's not unexpected because Sideshow always increases their prices.

Actually, the price increase in this line was with Faith who doesn't have a big beefy fantasy throne to justify the $$$$$.

I haven't noticed any difference in the price they charge for female versus male statues. Rogue is the same as Cyclops for example.

Always up, up, up.

So yes, it was predictable.

I rate collectibles on the dollar value they MSRP at.

Buffy - $200/$250
Willow - $135/$225
Faith - $215/$250
Spike - $225/$260

I really believe Willow will drop in price on the secondary market, close to the $135 mark. If it does, I might pick one up and go to Milliput and Acryl town to fix her.

Spike isn't bad as a Bufy collectible. I think the quality of his proto is right around where Faith v2 is. Of course, they can still f up both with the cheap Chinese factory paint jobs, a la Willow.

Sue has a point. Unless they're digitally scanned, Sideshow's human likenesses are more miss than hit. The spike/stake thing and the vague likeness OTOH are in keeping with the line's fantasy nature so far. I figure it's some kind of likeness/licensing thing that they haven't gotten any of the releases exactly true to the show or the original actor.

I get not wanting Spike, or any vampire, holding a stake, but I don't really see why people think it's out of character.

He seems to prefer his hands in a fight, but he uses stakes a lot on the show. Both of them. It's not really the same thing as putting Buffy on a throne, or having Willow in a mini skirt, it's actually believeable (not saying people who complain about the stake think it's the same level of OOC as the throne or the skirt, but I needed a comparison).

----

Regarding Willow, I'm really starting to like that statue. For me, all she needs is leggins(I think they're called), and she looks Willow-y enough for me. Easy to paint and give her pants, I might even be able to do so myself, despite how much I hate changing a expensive piece. I don't think I can fix Buffy to my liking though, but I wonder if I couldn't give Faith a longer shirt with airdrying sculpey and paint. Question is if I would actually care when I get her in person. Wouldn't suprise me at all if I saw Faith wearing something like that in season 9, just after I painted her. :monkey1

I don't know if some have checked it out yet, but I watched the 'Comic Con Showcase' video for this piece and it looks CRAZY awesome. A lot better than the pics, I feel. They posed it next to the Slayer and they look great, great, GREAT together.

I'm really excited about this one. I dare say I like it better than Faith. A toss up for me right now which one I like better.

I get not wanting Spike, or any vampire, holding a stake, but I don't really see why people think it's out of character.

He seems to prefer his hands in a fight, but he uses stakes a lot on the show. Both of them. It's not really the same thing as putting Buffy on a throne, or having Willow in a mini skirt, it's actually believeable (not saying people who complain about the stake think it's the same level of OOC as the throne or the skirt, but I needed a comparison).

----

Regarding Willow, I'm really starting to like that statue. For me, all she needs is leggins(I think they're called), and she looks Willow-y enough for me. Easy to paint and give her pants, I might even be able to do so myself, despite how much I hate changing a expensive piece. I don't think I can fix Buffy to my liking though, but I wonder if I couldn't give Faith a longer shirt with airdrying sculpey and paint. Question is if I would actually care when I get her in person. Wouldn't suprise me at all if I saw Faith wearing something like that in season 9, just after I painted her. :monkey1

I don't mind whatever it is he's using, either. To me it looks more like a railroad spike from the lip around the large end. If it is a spike, it isn't based on the tv show, just like Willow's wolf doll (and clothing and body and pose, etc ok I'll stop) and Buffy's throne aren't. Still, it would be more in character than any of those other anomalies. And no, I don't care either way.

I can't see lighting really having that much effect on the portrait being of James Marsters and you know you have to figure the factory paint is going to hurt more than help but I'd be happy to be wrong about that. Still, the head that's on there now is okay.

The fact is that all the portraits, even the ones from Trev, seem slightly off to me. It has to be intentional, I figure. Maybe they're comic book likenesses. I'd prefer actor portraits but really don't mind the if they really are going for their own interpretation of the characters resulting in the slightly off portraits. What I do mind is when the the interpretation is horribly off from the characters themselves (cough - Willow - cough).

But this is unmistakably a Spike statue. Actually, a bit boringly so, but then taking chances (cough - Willow - cough) with a tried and true character can go horribly horribly wrong (cough - Willow - cough). It'll be interesting to see what if anything they do with future characters now that this line seems to have some life left even after a serious misstep (cough - Willow - cough).

Hi-rez "human" face:

https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3014/200142press05.jpg

buffyIsBack.png

Sideshow Collectibles Spike Polystone Statue Comic Con Showcase

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7go2oD4GYpM&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - ‪Sideshow Collectibles Spike Polystone Statue Comic Con Showcase‬‏[/ame]

Fana Collec channel!​

Thank you so much for the higher res image and the vid. :D :clap

yes, thank you.. it really made me see a better facial likeness in the human head. i so wanted a human spike, but the likeness is not spot on as it was in the 12 inch fig. hope it will improve.

The high rez face is a much better likeness. I think I'm too used to the texture in 1/6 heads now and these statues seem a little too smooth so the paint doesn't bring out the likeness. I def think there's a problem w the eye paint though.

yes, thank you.. it really made me see a better facial likeness in the human head. i so wanted a human spike, but the likeness is not spot on as it was in the 12 inch fig. hope it will improve.

Well to be fair the 12" version was created using a reworked computer scan, so it bound to be more accurate. So far I think the likeness in the 12" and the PF is better, but the stance in this one has more life to it.

Back