1/6 Sideshow Snowtrooper Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Snowtrooper Commander

It comes down to what you grew up with. The OT filled my imagination from an early age. Even those early wacky Marvel SW stories. Plus the early novels. Even Splinter of a Mind's Eye fits in there somewhere, some how.

I think that's part of it too, Star Wars was just the movies for me and maybe some video games like Rogue Squadron, but there weren't really stories there. I'm sure I read one or two books when I was young but nothing I remember, so I was maybe more open to the sequels than some. I'd also known of Ford's desire to be killed at the end of Jedi and I actually thought it would have been an interesting plot point despite him being my favorite character. I still find ANH moving when Ben is killed.

The whole freighter scene I hated. Like so bad...I don't know why but I hated it. Seemed so unlike SW and felt more like the also JJ Abrahams directed Star Trek. Also I felt that would have been a good place to have one of the old bounty hunters (Boba Fett anyone) appear instead of those run of the mill space thugs.

Yeah, I still really don't like that scene. My friend had to go to the bathroom during the first time we saw it and was lucky enough to go during that exact scene. :lol
It feels like the type of thing I hated from the prequels and to top it off, they missed a golden opportunity for cool aliens. Take out the rathtars and just have the fire fight with a couple alien gangs and the scene might have worked for me.

So who's going to be snagging this one then? I certainly will be! Not sure about the Snowtrooper though. I'd love to get both but I'm pretty happy with my SSC snowtrooper and my wallet is taking such a heavy pounding with all these superb OT figure releases I'm not sure I can justify it.

Probably me too. I have the e-web and I'm thinking this guy the snowtrooper and the e-web will make a great little detolf display.

The other thing about TFA was the soundtrack...not memorable like the OT. I found it even less memorable than the PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooooo.... How about them moon boots on the Snowtrooper Commander?

Sooooo.... How about them moon boots on the Snowtrooper Commander?
Phasma has this pair
183c62ba9051ae7f6e8c75f3c5ce5022.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I personally never had any appreciation of the snowtroopers despite Empire being my first SW movie in a theater, I think it had something to do with growing up without playing in snow. I don't have the Sideshow Snowie so at this point if I was to buy just one of the HT snowtroopers, it would be the Commander version.
Something about the harder armor shell covering the lower face seems more SW than the softer cloth looking one of the reg. troopers. Also the helmet reminds me a bit of the Emperor's Royal guards which are favorites of mine.
If money wasn't an issue, I'd love to get this Snowtrooper Commander.

I share some of those sentiments...

:exactly::goodpost:

(Not fully quoted for brevity):lol

That hits most of the main issues I had, but I agree with Ton - TFA did deliver something for me I didn't get from any of the PT... and enjoyable new SW moviegoing experience (though I'd say ROTS came close to doing that.) Nothing much stayed with me, but I was very much entertained.

I personally never had any appreciation of the snowtroopers despite Empire being my first SW movie in a theater, I think it had something to do with growing up without playing in snow. I don't have the Sideshow Snowie so at this point if I was to buy just one of the HT snowtroopers, it would be the Commander version.
Something about the harder armor shell covering the lower face seems more SW than the softer cloth looking one of the reg. troopers. Also the helmet reminds me a bit of the Emperor's Royal guards which are favorites of mine.

Yeah, as a kid, I did think the soft hood was an odd choice. Like is it a hood that goes over a regular stormtrooper helmet? I used to wonder if the whole suit went over a stormie's regular armor.

That being said, the snowies I loved even more than the stormies for some reason, despite being onscreen for all of maybe 45 seconds total. The choice of SW on a snow planet worked so well, and it was so cool they did a new stormie to go with it.

I always thought that under that cowl there is a breathing mask similar to a Stormtrooper, and that the cowl was jut covering it form snow. Like this McQuarrie Snowtrooper:

mcquarriesnowtroopermy.jpg mcquarriesnowtroopermb.jpg

Looks like ballet slippers for gloves. Or like he has horse feet for hands.

The gloves are quite creative, since they are snow troopers and they still need a trigger finger. Ralph McQuarrie knew his stuff.

Awesome! I held out on the Sideshow version because I always liked this version of the trooper better!

However, now that I see them kinda side by side, I'm actually leaning towards the trooper and not the Commander like I was planning all along! :lol

There's only one solution: Both!

BTW, I really enjoyed TFA, maybe more than I expected to. And I enjoy it more the more I watch it, which has only been 3 times so far. I didn't have any expectations coming in to it, more than just knowing JJ's work and liking most of his movies. I knew TFA or any movie now would ever recapture the magic I felt when watching movies as a kid. That’s just impossible. But there are plenty of current movies I love and enjoy now as an adult, and TFA was just as good as any of those others. I loved Ray. I thought all the characters were great and even though I didn’t like Han’s fate , I’m fine with it—and he’s my favorite character. The only downside to that is that there won’t be any more HT figures made of him for the new movies! The only real criticism I have is that I didn’t think Poe was fleshed out enough. His character felt a little thin. I’m hoping the new movies will help with that.

I also didn’t compare the movie to what I imagined or hoped would happen. To me that’s just an exercise in frustration and disappointment. Even if I think I can plot a better movie, I don’t know anything about what true screenwriting is, and what kind of structure a script should have, etc, so I can’t presume to know that Character X should have done this and not that, and how it falls into a larger narrative. There was one critic who made a great point about Han’s character. He felt Han should have been actively on the hunt for Kylo, intending to kill him. His character would echo the John Wayne character in the Searchers where Wayne is looking for his daughter who was kidnapped by indians and intends to kill her because he believes she has been corrupted by them after years of living with them. But in the end he can’t kill her and takes her home. Likewise, Han would confront Kylo with the intent to kill him, but couldn’t go through with it in the end, and Kylo would kill Han instead. It would have provided a better character arc for Han, and I have to say that I agree with that.

Compared to the prequels, it’s night and day. The prequels are just so poorly conceived and I can’t get past the terrible dialogue and plotting. Hell, I just watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and thought that they did a better job at fleshing out characters and telling a story than the prequels!

So yes, I loved TFA and have zero problems with most of the criticisms people throw its way.

The gloves are quite creative, since they are snow troopers and they still need a trigger finger. Ralph McQuarrie knew his stuff.

These are my ski gloves, very similar.

c807bfda23f0a3ff2782c67149233006.jpeg

[...]
So yes, I loved TFA and have zero problems with most of the criticisms people throw its way.

Oh, I still think it's a good film, no question about it. Just not something I want in my personal Star Wars continuity. But hey, we all have to grow up. I can't really watch ROTJ anymore, either.

ESB and ANH are classics, I like select aspects of the Clone Wars television series in terms of atmosphere, direction and art; ditto for Rebels. ROTJ is weak, and the PT isn't for me. The Sequel Trilogy is beautifully crafted and welcome for its aesthetic and performances, but I see it as something entirely separate, as perhaps I should.

As for these Hot Toys snowtroopers, I would love to see a pair flanking a Hot Toys ESB Vader. The commander looks well-executed, but I've always questioned the design. Seems impractical even for Star Wars, and a little thrown together. Undeniably nostalgic though, and would no doubt look stellar next to AT-AT drivers and a Veers.

Maybe even better, as it would call-back to the film where he wasn't seen with grunts.

It's the almost flesh-colored patch on the bust that I think is questionable.

It's the almost flesh-colored patch on the bust that I think is questionable.

It's dirt build up on a white patch. But not quite a realistic application because that spot would be less dirty than the fingers and palms in use.

1125x682_preview_100409_SnowtrooperCommander3-1.jpg

Snowtrooper Commander™ Sixth Scale Figure

Sideshow’s Snowtrooper Commander™ Sixth Scale Figure is coming soon for Star Wars™ fans! While you wait, pick-up the e-web cannon to prepare to create the ultimate Hoth sixth scale display for your collection!

Last edited:

Uh, this better be the Hot Toys one. Otherwise some weird competitive **** is starting. Or maybe they mean a Veers type figure.

Uh, this better be the Hot Toys one. Otherwise some weird competitive **** is starting. Or maybe they mean a Veers type figure.

Would be weird indeed, especially since HT has already shown a proto.

Can't wait for this one. I am very happy with my SS snowtrooper, but the Commander is justifiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back