1/6 Sideshow Snowtrooper Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The helmet looks like a massive improvement over the first showing for sure. I'm gonna be keeping my eye on this and see how I can afford it eventually.

4f95e90d34cf583ab913cf91c7a6d382.jpg

2fd62b4c42f81f0a1ec8aa460e9a3f67.jpg

Looking much better compared with Celebration. Only thing I'm not really crazy about are the gloves.

Yeah, credit where credit is due - this figure is actually getting pretty close in quality/accuracy to the HT figure except the gloves - and holster.

SSC went with new sculpts for the TIE pilot and ATAT driver gloves and they really are not very convincing at all (driver's were a slightly better than TIE Pilot though.) They have a bit of a "carved from stone" look and I'm not a fan. They've done a straight re-use of the ATAT driver gloves here, along with a reuse of the ginormous hand armor from the ill-fated SSC Snowie.

This figure really needed new glove sculpts. It's strange how SSC sometimes redoes everything when they could have simply reused a previous figure's gear (like the boots and hands/gauntlets on Luke Snowspeeder are all-new - and improved - over the Luke Hoth parts they could have used) but other times they don't like here - straight reuse of SSC ATAT driver (and apparently, also SSC Snowie - the belt has the same undersized greeblie) parts. The chest armor is new, but the Commander has somewhat different chest armor to the regular Snowie anyway.

The holster on this atrocious in both quality/materials and accuracy. I have a Snowie Commander custom holster I may use if the production holster comes out as bad as the prototype's is.

What I find disappointing is the lack of hands and accessories. He's a commander, give him hands that a commander would use. As it is he's pretty much a grunt with two guns, fists and gun holding hands.

Now, where's that add to cart button...

What I find disappointing is the lack of hands and accessories. He's a commander, give him hands that a commander would use. As it is he's pretty much a grunt with two guns, fists and gun holding hands.

Now, where's that add to cart button...

A pointing hand would be great to have.

Yeah, the original SS Snowtrooper had that two finger hand that seemed useful to convey that type of inter-trooper communication.

In general, the pointing hand needs to be much more common. Every Ford figure should have one.

I've always wanted pointing hands with Trooper figures. I like posing them that way, so I just end up using the gun-trigger hand or open finger hand as an alternative.

And yeah what's with that? No pointing finger hand for Harrison Ford figures yet? Slacking.

I caved and ordered from bbts. It does look miles better now but still wish for that HT. My snowies need a leader:dunno

Yeah. Looks better but will likely wait 'til release and in hand reviews before i make a final decision on him.

Any word on if HT will do this? Gah, 209 bucks SS, what the hell! They price their stuff like HT and they aren't HT quality. Temptation is great BUT I can wait for pics before I pick this up. I hate the SS to HT cycles we seem to get.

Just came across this thread...I'm fairly new to sideshow collecting but I'm an avid Snowtrooper "enthusiast" and upon discovering the Commander figure at Celebration, I was both excited and disappointed-Obviously for the same reasons concerning the helmet sculpt. This had prompted me to actually email Sideshow directly the week following CE Orlando to provide constructive feedback, a long with various reference pics. While I would like to think it was used for consideration, I'm not the only one to probably have messaged them.

Anyways, I just received the Deluxe snowtrooper 2 pack from Hot Toys, and based on every other figure to date, that figure is without a doubt the most "screen accurate" representation of a snowtrooper in figure form- Yes, there's some inaccuracies for sure, but I have to factor in limitations w/ creating scaled down armor. I'm glad they didn't leave off the helmet Rivet - for both the HT and the SSC's commander figure.

To the commander, it's currently got some more issues than I'd like to admit, but if we're going overall, it's not bad. I saw some complaints about the boot specifically, but I can tell you that they're just about as accurate as we can get. There's very little sufficient visual reference of the commander- and AT-AT which show's their feet. I have spent numerous hours wasting away to identify the boots used for the real costumes- to no avail. That being said, I have to argue that based on my own research and meticulous scrutiny, that the artisans had to implement "light" creativity in the development. The only caveat to this is that I do know LucasFilm has a photo library of costumes that are un-released to the general public specifically to be used in the future for whatever means they desire, and that they provide such reference to licensees for developing their products, which means they may have had other references we are not aware of.

That being said, I'm awaiting for final production pieces. I do own the first SSC snowtrooper figure, but that was a god awful helmet sculpt, and it had some other numerous inaccuracies I won't get into. This figure, however, I hope in it's final form is actual glossy-plastic, non-painted white. The Abdomnial plate is still incorrectly shaped. The helmet is WAY better, but the curve along the bottom could still be cut a bit higher than it is. The gloves are accurate in appearance (stand alone from what you feel the quality of it should be, I'm just stating the physical characteristics). I'll chime in again when I get home, but yea, those are my thoughts

-TC

Back