1/6 Sideshow Snowtrooper Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having re-worked the lenses on my sideshow snowtrooper, I can say that its not bad at all for the times. Definitely keeping my po on the Snowtrooper commander

Still mulling this guy and was hoping to wait for a great deal, but it's possible this may sell out fast like Luke Snowspeeder did.

Also got an amazing deal on another HT Snowie, so not sure I have the room for a fourth Snowie-like fig (I have two HT Snowies and a modded SSC).

This is the first Imperial figure that I don't have on pre-order. Was [pretty bummed SSC managed to release it instead of HT. I'll wait and see if worth buying.

Same here. Gonna wait for the first in hand pics to decide. Right now, i'm leaning toward a pass and wait for the inevitable HT release in a few years.

Same here. Gonna wait for the first in hand pics to decide. Right now, i'm leaning toward a pass and wait for the inevitable HT release in a few years.

Inevitable like in the case of bounty hunters or tie pilots? ;)

Well, as proven in the past, a HT prototype doesn't necessarily mean we'll ever see production of any given piece. yet, in that specific situation, i'd be very surprised if HT were to abandon the project. We have evidence this piece is well into development and i believe HT won't resist putting out such an easy retool on the market in the near future.
Tie Pilot and Bounty Hunters are a whole other story as we have yet to see anything transpire on that front. Then again, Tie Pilots sound like a given at some point knowing HT passion for faceless troopers.

Well, as proven in the past, a HT prototype doesn't necessarily mean we'll ever see production of any given piece. yet, in that specific situation, i'd be very surprised if HT were to abandon the project. We have evidence this piece is well into development and i believe HT won't resist putting out such an easy retool on the market in the near future.
Tie Pilot and Bounty Hunters are a whole other story as we have yet to see anything transpire on that front. Then again, Tie Pilots sound like a given at some point knowing HT passion for faceless troopers.

You said it right there. No guarantee as their previously shown:

1:6 Millennium Falcon cockpit diorama
1:4 Vader
Gonk droid(s)
Corporal Sandtrooper
Baze

I wanna see this next to other Snowtroopers for scale. Their At-At Driver is too tall IMO - body is the right size but the boot just adds that extra height.

I certainly dig everyone’s opinion and right to buy whatever they want, but not supporting SS is not gonna make Hot Toys dig any further with the line. And after the deep discounts on TFA troopers, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts they stay skittish on producing swarms of troopers especially those with questionable screen time recognition. Not soapboxing for SS, just saying if they get it right, support em. If you’re HT only, that’s cool too, but SS has been decreasing their 1/6th lines and if they quit Star Wars for lack of interest, our market choices will be slim and HT is not a super reliable provider for 1/6th SW not in so far as character depth.

Yeah, the re-do of the head solved most of the probs with the fig for me. Still far from perfect, but nothing close to the disaster they originally showed, and quite possibly a very nice fig once in-hand.

The issues I still have are more minor stuff like the wonky SSC AT-AT driver gloves (with huge hand armor like the old SSC snowie) and the god-awful holster - but these things could easily be changed for the production fig. Price is not terrible (for these days) but still a little more than the HT Snowie, despite no backpack.

I certainly dig everyone’s opinion and right to buy whatever they want, but not supporting SS is not gonna make Hot Toys dig any further with the line. And after the deep discounts on TFA troopers, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts they stay skittish on producing swarms of troopers especially those with questionable screen time recognition. Not soapboxing for SS, just saying if they get it right, support em. If you’re HT only, that’s cool too, but SS has been decreasing their 1/6th lines and if they quit Star Wars for lack of interest, our market choices will be slim and HT is not a super reliable provider for 1/6th SW not in so far as character depth.

I agree that SS provides the variety. But SS has let me down in terms of quality and accuracy imo. I’ve since sold off all of my SS figures except for one.
I’ve made a choice to mainly stick to HT but have no issue with others buying SS. At the end of the day, the collection is yours and if you’re happy with it then that’s all that matters.

I still feel like a massive newbie here but looking at how SSC used to be and comparing those to HT I an see why such a huge gap in quality would result in an equally large jump in price, but my Luke Snowspeeder is as good as any HT figure I have. The TIE Pilot and AT-AT Driver both work really well for me and don't seem to be any less accurate than HT's figures to my eyes. Maybe the armoured and helmeted figures are better for SSC if they have issues with facial sculpting.

I think I'll wait until the first in-hand pictures appear and then look at using $50 in RP for this one.

I have two ssc snow troopers and this on order. Are the hototys snowtroopers better? Yes they are. Are they so much better that the ssc ones are rubbish? No.

Would the hot toys snowtrooper commander be better? Again yes. But it ain’t here and may not be coming.

Hot toys are great and the detail of their product is just that bit better and that can make all the difference but ssc have made some great stuff and some less than great stuff. And I was here at the beginning. With Luke and anakin Look back at them and weep - although they were £30 !

I have two ssc snow troopers and this on order. Are the hototys snowtroopers better? Yes they are. Are they so much better that the ssc ones are rubbish? No.

Would the hot toys snowtrooper commander be better? Again yes. But it ain’t here and may not be coming.

Hot toys are great and the detail of their product is just that bit better and that can make all the difference but ssc have made some great stuff and some less than great stuff. And I was here at the beginning. With Luke and anakin Look back at them and weep - although they were £30 !

I've looked at some of the older stuff on eBay and it's terrible compared to newer items and HT... Someone posted a SSC Han Hoth with a third party head over in the Leia thread and I think it looks great... If I didn't think HT would bring that and Luke in the next couple of years I'd probably grab one and create the same custom.

I can see why those who were picking up SSC stuff for £30 - £50 back in the day would shake their head at newer figures being £200 or more though... even with the higher standard of detailing and finish.

I still feel like a massive newbie here but looking at how SSC used to be and comparing those to HT I an see why such a huge gap in quality would result in an equally large jump in price, but my Luke Snowspeeder is as good as any HT figure I have. The TIE Pilot and AT-AT Driver both work really well for me and don't seem to be any less accurate than HT's figures to my eyes. Maybe the armoured and helmeted figures are better for SSC if they have issues with facial sculpting.

I think I'll wait until the first in-hand pictures appear and then look at using $50 in RP for this one.

Iv'e been in t his hobby since 2005, SS Luke Jedi being my first "non hasbro" 12" figure. 240 figures later and it's easy to see the quality improvements. You look back at HT and a lot of HT older stuff is horrible by today's standards too (I'm looking at you v.1 Ripley). Both companies have been evolving and I think SS can turn out some great 12" figures too. I still put SS Han Hoth and especially Lupe Snowspeeder far and above HT Luke Bespin...but a lot of people would disagree with me on that one. It's really all about what YOU think and in this case...I 100% agree with you.

Iv'e been in t his hobby since 2005, SS Luke Jedi being my first "non hasbro" 12" figure. 240 figures later and it's easy to see the quality improvements. You look back at HT and a lot of HT older stuff is horrible by today's standards too (I'm looking at you v.1 Ripley). Both companies have been evolving and I think SS can turn out some great 12" figures too. I still put SS Han Hoth and especially Lupe Snowspeeder far and above HT Luke Bespin...but a lot of people would disagree with me on that one. It's really all about what YOU think and in this case...I 100% agree with you.

We definitely need a new bespin Luke. I passed on both sec and hot toys and they do not look good.
The aliens still hold up well and as you say at 30£ I was a lot more forgiving

I hope the actual figure is great but from what I've seen at shows I'm really dissapointed especially after the HT one some time ago. I wonder WTH happened with this figure where SS got to release it.

I hope the actual figure is great but from what I've seen at shows I'm really dissapointed especially after the HT one some time ago. I wonder WTH happened with this figure where SS got to release it.

There was NO hot toys commander, it was the SS one all along they were showing. People just thought it was HT and of course it had to be "perfect" because every HT product is flawless. Once it was found out to be from SS it was of course junk.

Back