Statue Sideshow Rancor statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a tour at Sideshow the other day and was lucky enough to see the prototype of this guy... If it turns out anything like what I saw, there's going to be some serious pants browning when people gets these in hand. Its pretty incredible. In fact, if you display 1/6 figures in the foreground of a display, this guy would pass as 1/6 scale.

Thanks for sharing Ahab! I can understand some of the criticism but I am really excited about this thing!

I was given a tour at Sideshow the other day and was lucky enough to see the prototype of this guy... If it turns out anything like what I saw, there's going to be some serious pants browning when people gets these in hand. Its pretty incredible. In fact, if you display 1/6 figures in the foreground of a display, this guy would pass as 1/6 scale.

Any other possible prototypes you saw?

Any other possible prototypes you saw?

Man, I'm still suffering from sensory overload:) So much stuff... I'll need to go through the site and see what's already public knowledge and doesn't conflict with the NDA I signed.
As a sculptor myself, I'm blown away at what the resident artists and tailors produce. It was cool meet the folks who have created some of the pieces on my shelf and run into old friends I'd worked with years ago. The funny thing is, the Rancor was a complete surprise to me! I'm for the most part a 1/6 scale collector, so I don't get over to this side often...

Man, I'm still suffering from sensory overload:) So much stuff... I'll need to go through the site and see what's already public knowledge and doesn't conflict with the NDA I signed.
As a sculptor myself, I'm blown away at what the resident artists and tailors produce. It was cool meet the folks who have created some of the pieces on my shelf and run into old friends I'd worked with years ago. The funny thing is, the Rancor was a complete surprise to me! I'm for the most part a 1/6 scale collector, so I don't get over to this side often...

I?m sure he looks outstanding. I personally don?t mind a bit of artistic freedom if it makes the creature come alive. Maybe, just maybe I think it?s a bit too clean looking, but I still love it.
I don?t get to this side often either as I also solely collect 1/6, so for me this price is at least close to be a dealbreaker for me. Is that price normal for statues?
When Jabba was announced people on the 1:6 side were pretty chocked by the price - I found it ok - but it was close to half what this one costs. I would pay the American price for this, I know that, but I?m Europe... 1500? is more than 1650$... plus shipping [emoji32]

It looks like a rancor, but not the Rancor.

I think it's mostly the face that looks off sculpt wise. And then when I saw the up close photos the face also looked very smooth, almost waxy. Jabba's a bit like that too.

Because Sideshow also put a greedy price on his head it makes passing on this very easy. He would have to be close to perfect. I'd rather wait for a better option, even if there never is a better option.

Saying that, he does look good for what he is.

I?m sure he looks outstanding. I personally don?t mind a bit of artistic freedom if it makes the creature come alive. Maybe, just maybe I think it?s a bit too clean looking, but I still love it.
I don?t get to this side often either as I also solely collect 1/6, so for me this price is at least close to be a dealbreaker for me. Is that price normal for statues?
When Jabba was announced people on the 1:6 side were pretty chocked by the price - I found it ok - but it was close to half what this one costs. I would pay the American price for this, I know that, but I?m Europe... 1500? is more than 1650$... plus shipping [emoji32]

The price is on the higher end but not exactly unheard of. Thanos statues that stand 30" tall go for $1000+ and they aren't as big overall. I'm not sure there is an apples to apples comparison to the Rancor. Sideshow does seem to push prices above what is the standard, especially with Star Wars. I'm sure some of it is licensing and some of it is that the Rancor will not sell a huge number based on the size, price, and the fact that the Rancor was only on screen for a couple minutes.

So I expect the edition size will be pretty low, maybe 300-400. This is targeting the hardcore OT crowd but many of even those will pass, because of price, size, or accuracy. I have always been fascinated by the Rancor since seeing it from the front row of a 80s movie theater as a child so I am pretty excited that Sideshow decided to offer this creature period. In my collection room filled with troopers, heroes, and spaceships it will be nice to have this terrifying monster.

The price is on the higher end but not exactly unheard of. Thanos statues that stand 30" tall go for $1000+ and they aren't as big overall. I'm not sure there is an apples to apples comparison to the Rancor. Sideshow does seem to push prices above what is the standard, especially with Star Wars. I'm sure some of it is licensing and some of it is that the Rancor will not sell a huge number based on the size, price, and the fact that the Rancor was only on screen for a couple minutes.

So I expect the edition size will be pretty low, maybe 300-400. This is targeting the hardcore OT crowd but many of even those will pass, because of price, size, or accuracy. I have always been fascinated by the Rancor since seeing it from the front row of a 80s movie theater as a child so I am pretty excited that Sideshow decided to offer this creature period. In my collection room filled with troopers, heroes, and spaceships it will be nice to have this terrifying monster.

Agree. I really want to support SSC making these big OT statues/figures, but this might be out of range for me here in Europe...

Agree. I really want to support SSC making these big OT statues/figures, but this might be out of range for me here in Europe...

Yeah price is quite high as it is and additional fees would definitely make one question if it's worth doing, there has to be some limit right? Right now Sideshow does not charge sales tax outside the state of California but there is pending legislation that may change this. But the local sales tax here wouldn't match the sort of fees you are talking overseas. It's hard to exactly calculate the cost differences in different countries/regions based currency values constantly changing, regional salary and cost of living variance, etc.

Yeah price is quite high as it is and additional fees would definitely make one question if it's worth doing, there has to be some limit right? Right now Sideshow does not charge sales tax outside the state of California but there is pending legislation that may change this. But the local sales tax here wouldn't match the sort of fees you are talking overseas. It's hard to exactly calculate the cost differences in different countries/regions based currency values constantly changing, regional salary and cost of living variance, etc.

The dollar is pretty low at the moment, but the rancor still will be around 1700$US here if we preorder now. I actually thought that Jabba would be at my price limit and still I?m looking for this one closer to the US price... I?m hopeless. Like so many collectors I guess :)

So the Swedish supplier that I sometimes use Scifishop has it for 23,695 Skr... that is literally TWICE the US price! 2500usd... that is NOT ok!
80b68dcd9e4025b16048b79f56f717f6.jpg

How do you think it would look with 1/4?
I'd like to get it but I'll pass if it's going to look silly. My gut says it's really pushing it to go 1/4

How do you think it would look with 1/4?
I'd like to get it but I'll pass if it's going to look silly. My gut says it's really pushing it to go 1/4

Yeah, passing it off as 1/4 would be pushing it for sure. The statue itself is more like 1/8 or 1/9 scale I believe. If the intent is to create a diorama, I think you can get away with creative placement with 1/6 scale figures,
but that can even be pushing it depending on how close they are to the statue.
That said, it still is an imposing piece, and would display well with any scale. Mixing scales can be done successfully, and can be a welcome departure in a good display, IMO.

Yeah, passing it off as 1/4 would be pushing it for sure. The statue itself is more like 1/8 or 1/9 scale I believe. If the intent is to create a diorama, I think you can get away with creative placement with 1/6 scale figures,
but that can even be pushing it depending on how close they are to the statue.
That said, it still is an imposing piece, and would display well with any scale. Mixing scales can be done successfully, and can be a welcome departure in a good display, IMO.

It?s almost exactly 1/7 scale. The figure itself is at least 70cm. 70cmx7=490cm. A/the Rancor is 500cm.

Re: Sideshow Rancor sttaue on SSL ???

wouldn't be surprised to see SS release a 1:6 Rancor figure. They were able to get $800 for Jabba + throne, so a Rancor would probably run $699 or so.

wouldn't be surprised to see SS release a 1:6 Rancor figure. They were able to get $800 for Jabba + throne, so a Rancor would probably run $1699 or so.

Fixed :lol

The joke price guess was closer than the serious price guess.:lol

This is a serious chunk of resin but I can't see how this is worth $500 more than Jabba + throne was.

And what makes this "deluxe"? Is there alternate accessory of some kind? I didn't see anything googling it.

The joke price guess was closer than the serious price guess.:lol

This is a serious chunk of resin but I can't see how this is worth $500 more than Jabba + throne was.

And what makes this "deluxe"? Is there alternate accessory of some kind? I didn't see anything googling it.

The deluxe tag is marketing speak, and poor marketing at that. You get the Rancor and the base... that's it. Which is fine because that is all the is really needed. But deluxe would be Rancor with his iconic gate door for example, or with keeper, or Oola.

This thing is much bigger than Jabba, well over twice the size. So that combined with the fact that they will sell even less of these than Jabba, combined with Sideshow's desire to turn you upside down and shake you by the ankles until all the change falls out of your pockets and you reach $1300.

I’d love to be able to add a “basement” to my Jabba display, but $1300 plus shipping is too insane for me. I’d rather use that money to buy more than one figure.

The deluxe tag is marketing speak, and poor marketing at that. You get the Rancor and the base... that's it. Which is fine because that is all the is really needed. But deluxe would be Rancor with his iconic gate door for example, or with keeper, or Oola.

This thing is much bigger than Jabba, well over twice the size. So that combined with the fact that they will sell even less of these than Jabba, combined with Sideshow's desire to turn you upside down and shake you by the ankles until all the change falls out of your pockets and you reach $1300.

I was thinking it could have maybe had a swap-out arm like Jabba's arms. It'd be pretty huge though, maybe too big for a magnet to hold. I always hated the long aluminum posts SSC would use for larger swap-out pieces.

I really hope they haven't gone back to polystone for this one - it'll need a crane to get it into your house.:lol

And this may be twice the size/volume of Jabba (well, maybe not including the throne) but Jabba came with a ton of stuff that had to be manufactured.

It would be awesome if someone did a rotocast Rancor that was true 1/6 scale. It would only weigh maybe 10-15 lbs, could be shipped in pieces, have movable arms and head, and probably cost no more than $500 (based on a more high-end version of those massive 3' tall roto SW figures that used to be in TRU.)

Back