Sideshow Predator Maquette vs The Cinemquette Predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I received my CM Predator today. Outside cardboard box looks a bit beat up to put it mildly.

Won't be able to unpack for a couple of days though. Will get pics out of both once I do ...

Yes, cant wait to see the pictures. Cinemaquette Predator is the best. Love seeing all the photos. Too bad I do not have one. It is a bit to much for me right now.

I like both , i havent seen neither of them yet but from photos that iv seen they look even more than AWESOME !!

the maquette in greece is im stealth mode and the CM retails 2300 E.

shoot me !1

Ok, it took me 2 hours to unpack and set this baby up yesterday. Now, keep in mind I retaped all the styrofoam corners:rolleyes: and put some thought into arraning the plants on the base. This also includes me photographing each layer of unpacking, in particular the statue, accessories, and base, so that I can repack if I ever sell in at least or better packing.

Anyway, the statue is incredibly impressive. I have literally got a flawless one in terms of defect, breakage, scratches etc. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and everything is intact including everyone of those prickley spikes.

The issue I did have with this is the same I have with everyone of my CM statues that have "eyes" - they are painted on instead of putting in glass eyes (espescially for this kind of cash) AND they are not aligned! Regardless of what anyone here says, when I put up the SS Exc head beside the CM one, no can possibly argue that the CM eyes are better, they are simply not and take a bit of the luster away from such an incredibly spectacular sculpt.

I will post pics in a few days or so of both.

You guys are all mindless robots! This thing doesn't suck, but it's not better than the Sideshow version.

01.jpg

What's with the tiny cannon on his shoulder? It's the same size as the SS version, but on a huger figure.

02.jpg

My only concern is the leaning of the SS piece, but that's it. Come on, it was made by the guys at Stan Winston Studios for SS, so, sculpturally, it IS perfectly accurate. CM isn't, despite being sculpted by the great Steve Wang. There are so many things wrong with the CM that it's not worth the money. In case you missed my comments in one of the many other CM slave threads, here it is again.

REPOST:
DSC_0036.jpg

I know that talking trash on this piece never makes me popular with those who leave comments in its threads, but I keep seeing little details on this that just make it not worth the money you'd have to pay to get it. Now look at this photo of the mask. The lenses are wrong. They should be mirrored with a fine, black-lined grid patterns on them like Sideshow one pulled off to perfection; not thick, silver-painted lines with black squares. What's up with that?

This is a beautiful piece, but there are just so many incorrect details that it totally bugs me to look at it: the tiny little human spine on his left side; there's supposed to be a human being inside that Predator's body (guy in suit), so how can that spine be so damn skinny; and the mouth seems way too wide open making the crown of his head look too small, though I think the head is otherwise well proportioned.

This is how far the mouth should go and no farther (watch the f'ing movie and don't argue this). It looks stupid any farther and isn't accurate.
(These pieces were also made by Winston Studios, so deal with it)
haircut_predator.jpg
7143_press05-001.jpg

Which face looks better to you: the accurate Winston/SS versions, or the whack Steve Wang/CM version with superwide, less detailed mouth and wrong-sized teeth? If you say CM, you don't know Predator, and you're a mindless robot slave to CM, probably because you didn't get in on the SS, and had to fork out mass cash for the CM version.

DSC_0030.jpg

I don't even like the pose (not that Sideshow's was better, but it IS accurate to the one in Winston Studios lobby). The CM isn't static enough to look natural, or dramatic enough to look like an action snap shot. It feels like the protrait of a guy wearing the suit for a photo op.

Aside from that, the SS version has one huge element that the CM doesn't, and that's that SS has the Exclusive option of wearing the mask while CM's is stuck in the mud. That's my two cents. So, bring on the hate, CM slaves. Bring it on.:lol

BTW, in case it comes up, I think the paint job on the CM is great, maybe better, but my comments are all structural.

Totally agree, the mouth on the CM really sucks. If i had the cash i'd opt for the SS.

Ok, finally got the pics together:

First I will download the CM Predator, then the SS Exc Pred, and the final ones will be of them together, with one bust shot (this is to compare the members who have had critiques of the mouyhs of the Predators).

There are many images.

I will give my thoughts at the end of the uploads.

CQPredator0045001.jpg

CQPredator0045030.jpg

CQPredator0045031.jpg

NOTE: Anyone coming to this page: I have uploaded many pics and to see all the pics you will have to go back a few pages.

BOTH of these statues are great works. To those that have dished the CM as not being “accurate” need to take another look. For example, to say the mouth is not an accurate representation is really absurd: Does every human in the human race have the same mouth? Obviously not, and neither would they in the Predator world. Just look at SS Exc Pred mouth and the mouth on the 1:1 bust. Both different, in fact the one from the SS bust looks more like the CM mouth on the statue than SS own Exc Predator!

Yes, there are some differences. I would have liked exchanging head and helmet option on the CM Predator. On the other hand, the CM Predator hair locks are truly exquisite and realistic, especially with the rubber material they used to construct it (I also like the fact I don’t have to worry about breakage so much.

On both of the moquettes, I would have like to see a laser light come out of the shoulder gun.

So which one is really “better”. Neither.

What is depends on is what your likes are to displaying, how much space you have, and whether you collect 1:4 or 1:3. It depends on how this piece is going to work on your collection. And simply put, when the quality is this good, the bigger in size the piece, the more the statement it is going to make because of it’s size. This is why if you put the SS one beside the CM, the CM “looks” more intimidating: it is because of it’s sheer size, not necessarily because one is better quality sculpt over the other.

As some other members have noted, the fact is that both of them have accuracies and inaccuracies to what Predator is “supposed” to look like.

IMO, both sculpts have captured the details and essence of the Predator. Determine what you want for your display, and you should be happy with it.

It is worth a note on one item: I have two SS Exc Predator Maquettes, and on both the heads have two or three of the small black prickly hair prongs broken off (during shipping) SS replaced one of them, and yes the replacement came with two or three broken hair prongs in different places. I have heard it is difficult to get this head without a hair prong broken.

Likewise, I have heard some of the CM have had that, however it comes with some replacements in the box.

Outstanding pictures Batman. Congrats on getting a flawless CM piece. You can't go wrong with either piece. I agree with you, it boils down to what an individual likes.

Back