Sideshow on Ebay..flippers-scalpers WHATEVER!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannieDarKo said:
I just bought a DOOM exclusive PF for the same value as ebay prices ( around $800). Am I dumb, of course not but I'm not going to complain about the eBay market. WIN SOME LOSE SOME. Fair game baby. Pixle I agree brotha and I apologize if my post offended you. I buy from ebay MANY times, I just got caught up with the topic. :eek:

Very true. Ultimately you buy what you want, and how bad you want it becomes the price. Sure paying high prices adds to the scalper/flipper market, but they screw people over first and sometimes you miss out on figures, or join in collecting something later.

I think with flipping, the more socially acceptable practice, the real problem (IMO) is the intent to buy something that you don't want only meaning to quickly turn a profit and screw another collector... thats problematic to me. I remember when the Ardeth Bay SSE came up, I could have easily scored one since they were still available and turned a profit, but I think that would have been a real d!ck move on my part.

What galactiboy said.

People can take offense to and stake sides to this neverending discussion.
And nothing positive will ever come of it.

Nothing is entirely wrong with it. Did I just say that????

Just stinks when you want to get a statue and someone who is selling it, is selling it for $1500 or $1000 when it only cost them $300. And guess what, I do not buy it. I have bought a SSW Treebeard bust for $400. But I thought that was a resonable price. Had it been $500 or higher, I still would not have that piece.

But it is kinda sad when people start complaining that the prices are going down. Oh well. Great for me and those that are waiting for them to fall. Sucks if you bought one for $1000 and hoped to get that out of it or more down the road. That is why I do not look at it as an investment.

I never look at my collectibles as an investment. I get too attached to them to even consider making a profit on them.

But when I was introduced to SS and GG, I just couldn't bare to continue collecting Hasbro and decided to sell off my collection in order to fund my new addiction with SS and GG.

Mithrandier said:
Just stinks when you want to get a statue and someone who is selling it, is selling it for $1500 or $1000 when it only cost them $300. And guess what, I do not buy it. I have bought a SSW Treebeard bust for $400. But I thought that was a resonable price. Had it been $500 or higher, I still would not have that piece.
That is supply and demand. Why sell something for 300 when it normally sells for 1500.

12 back Darth Vaders sell for thousands of dollars, but sold in stores for $1.98. So we should demand that sellers ask 2 bucks for them cause if not they are flipping scalpers :rotfl

Bannister said:
You don't have to do anything. It is your choice to pay those prices and by doing so you are facilitating the problem. Then you come on the boards and complain about it, like you are some sort of victim. These things aren't necessities, they are luxuries.
I buy direct from Sideshow and was not talking about myself. Casual collectors and specific item (mabye sombody who collect just Jaws items) mabye wont know about here or Sideshow.com to get the exclusive so they use ebay. This whole topic got twisted around, my point is how can buying a item, no matter the cose, just to sell it for a few bucks be any kind of fun or living? Buying doubles to help people out is a totally cool thing to do but flipping is a sorry thing to do. You are not getting ritch, sometimes you dont even get enough to buy the next figure you want.

galactiboy said:
Very true. Ultimately you buy what you want, and how bad you want it becomes the price. Sure paying high prices adds to the scalper/flipper market, but they screw people over first and sometimes you miss out on figures, or join in collecting something later.

I think with flipping, the more socially acceptable practice, the real problem (IMO) is the intent to buy something that you don't want only meaning to quickly turn a profit and screw another collector... thats problematic to me. I remember when the Ardeth Bay SSE came up, I could have easily scored one since they were still available and turned a profit, but I think that would have been a real d!ck move on my part.
Exactly, paying aftermarket prices after months is a part of the hobby but to buy something that you don't want only meaning to quickly turn a profit and screw another collector is wrong.

owtkasted said:
You are not getting ritch, sometimes you dont even get enough to buy the next figure you want.

Oh trust me........some get rich! Or shall I say "ritch". :rotfl

I on the other hand make most of my money in Bingo Hall Tournaments. Nothing feels better than winning those old folks social security money. :monkey5

Last edited:
owtkasted said:
flipping is a sorry thing to do

IN MY OPINION, flipping is fine as someone just posted if the right oppurtunity presented itself and honestly don't care if thats not the case for someone else. Its none of my business what they do with their stash.

A "sorry thing to do" would be offering assistance to a little old lady carrying her groceries and then run off with them before she can say "BINGO!" :monkey3

DannieDarKo said:
...A "sorry thing to do" would be offering assistance to a little old lady carrying her groceries and then run off with them before she can say "BINGO!"

I admit I do this but it's only to fund other groceries. :newangel :moon

Fritz said:
I admit I do this but it's only to fund other groceries. :newangel :moon

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Well then, that makes it O.K.

Duke Darko said:
IN MY OPINION, flipping is fine as someone just posted if the right oppurtunity presented itself and honestly don't care if thats not the case for someone else. Its none of my business what they do with their stash.

I agee fully with this statement!

The only flipping I'll be doing is giving the finger to Flippers whose sole intent is to profit off genuine collectors at exorbitant prices. :moon

decadentdave said:
The only flipping I'll be doing is giving the finger to Flippers whose sole intent is to profit off genuine collectors at exorbitant prices. :moon
But no genuine collector would give their hard earned genuine collector dollars to a scalper. That would go against everything they stand for.

Truer words have never been spoken, but that doesn't stop the Flippers from trying to take advantage of us by hoarding all the good stuff.

Once you own it you can do what you want with it. No one is holding a gun to those ebay suckers heads. Just sold my 2 exclusive Han Solos (because the figure sucks)at a cumulative loss of 35.00 Those poor ebay bidders.:rolleyes:

I do it. But, I only buy my limit. I don't have 20 other accounts, just my single account and buy the exclusive. I may buy a regular and then decide if the exclusive is worth the extra dough, most of the time not. I think buyers are lucky if they buy from me... I charge a whole lot but at least they get their stuff. So, I don't feel guilty. It is one thing to sell something and not deliver.

goliath said:
Millions of people do it on the stock markets every day... :rolleyes:
thats the point of stocks. People dont collect stocks to put on a shelf :lol

.. but to each their own, no biggie. .. pop..puh..

Back