Sideshow on Ebay..flippers-scalpers WHATEVER!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why "true collectors" actually buy these items at inflated prices. You are only contributing to the problem. If you didn't buy, the flippers wouldn't be able to sell. Of course then you wouldn't be able to complain either.

Mithrandier said:
Be true to yourelf, don't hide it. You should change your screen name to Neon Deion...........or Neon Celene Deion..............

That's not a bad idea... "Near, Far.. wherever you are..."

Bannister said:
I don't understand why "true collectors" actually buy these items at inflated prices. You are only contributing to the problem. If you didn't buy, the flippers wouldn't be able to sell. Of course then you wouldn't be able to complain either.
Like I said, everybody dont know about ordering direct from sideshow and how to get the exclusives so they have to pay scalper prices.

order from Sideshow when they go up for sale and avoid the problem. for those that don't know about Sideshow and how it works, they aren't a part of this board therefore i feel no love for them. beside they probably think they are getting a good deal. ignorance is bliss! btw, i've never flipped but i might if the right opportunity presents itself.

owtkasted said:
Like I said, everybody dont know about ordering direct from sideshow and how to get the exclusives so they have to pay scalper prices.
You don't have to do anything. It is your choice to pay those prices and by doing so you are facilitating the problem. Then you come on the boards and complain about it, like you are some sort of victim. These things aren't necessities, they are luxuries.

Are you a gay dolphin if you buy something for less than it's worth?

For instance, a while ago my brother sold me his Xbox for $15 (He had two xbox's and needed some money) and then I went to gamestop and sold it for $80. (and I don't feel bad because he's older than me and jipped me out of money before).

darthviper107 said:
Are you a gay dolphin if you buy something for less than it's worth?

For instance, a while ago my brother sold me his Xbox for $15 (He had two xbox's and needed some money) and then I went to gamestop and sold it for $80. (and I don't feel bad because he's older than me and jipped me out of money before).
Don't worry, you're definitely going to hell, but other than that you should be fine.:D

!!!The Unwritten Laws of TRUE COLLECTORS!!!

1.Flippers are gay.

2.Must start a thread at least once a week whining about scalpers.

3.Realize it's cool to pay inflated prices for an item and then complain about having to do so because you are a true collector.

4.Call people sad or pathetic because they flip items, while still being able to look themselves in the mirror and not think the same about themselves for posting entire threads on the subject.

5.When you miss out on an item you want, start a thread begging a fellow board member to hook you up with one at cost if they don't intend to keep it.

6.Feel you are entitled to every super limited item you missed out on because you are a true collector.

7.It's ok to sell an item at an inflated price if you paid retail and it has subsequently risen in value. Afterall, you never intended to sell it.

8.Be a whiny little *****.

9.If a dealer sells an item at an inflated price, it's cool as long as it is not above current ebay prices and you like the dealer.

10.Realize that all scalpers are in fact agents of Satan himself. Flipping afterall is one of the saddest things people can do to another human being, right up there with rape and murder.
fixed.

Maybe I should be a "whiny little *****" too and make a WHOLE NEW THREAD about these unwritten laws. :rolleyes:

Everyone look at me, OVER HERE!! OH LOOK AT ME!LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK! :lol

Danny, youre such a True Collectuh hate-uh.

clearly people are missing the point of my banner. Gay = happy, sheesh!

owtkasted said:

I don't feel any remorse for someone's own stupidity.

owtkasted said:
if they even know the exclusives exist, wouldnt they know they came from SS direct since thats the only way they sell them?
... if they dont then they havent even tried to find them elsewhere, cause thats where they'd end up.

This is the weirdest thing I have ever heard....

...yes, I have seen the type of people you are talking about. They buy something (like oh, say a grey Hulk SS statue, an SSE Ardath Bey 1:1 bust, or a super limited Bowen piece) and then immediately turn it over and make a healthy profit just to do it again. I don't like the "speculator" market. It destroyed the comics market in the 1990's. These folks have no interest in the stuff other than $$$.

Now, I have "flipped or turned" or whatever you want to call it something over lots of times. I will give you some examples.

1.) I bought the Bowen Chrome Silver Surfer bust when it first came out. For $90.00. I had every intention of keeping it. I have a huge collection of Bowen Marvel junk. When I saw that some people were paying big bucks for it,however, I sold it. IMMEDIATELY. For $550. You know what I did with that $550? Paid for 15 other new release Bowen busts that I wanted more. The Silver Surfer paid for a huge chunk of my collection. But I probably should have just kept it because it makes somebody else upset? Because they didnt walk into a comic store and get to buy one for $90 to subsidize their collection? C'mon. I am not rich, and its nobody's business but mine if I decide to get rid of one thing from my collection to add a bunch more items to it.

2.) I am out of a job. I still want to keep up with whatever I can. Which at this point has only been the Ardath Bey bust (color). I hope to get a Dracula 1:1 and a Mummy PF. I also collect the X-Files figures. I bought Skinner and Krycek and I had no intentions of getting rid of them. Unitil I saw people were paying big bucks for them. Then I sold them. IMMEDIATELY. For $165-$175...EACH. I suppose I shouldve just kept them because...? In collecting it all balances out. Some things have to be sacrificed to keep your credit card or your wallet or whatever from being hit too hard by this hobby.
Unless you are independently wealthy. Which I am not.

3.) I went to the Flea Market one time. I saw 2 items for sale there. A Janus Dracula and Bride model, and a Jason part 3 12" Sideshow figure. I bought them both for $370. I planned to keep them. Didnt work out that way. Some family crisis hit... and they both were sold. For $600 total. Its very seldom that a profit can be made in this hobby. Add the fact that most of this stuff is overpriced garbage that only decreases in value later on and you are left with a valley of indecision.

What to do? Do I keep everything and just keep sinking dollar after dollar into this stuff? Or do I be smart about this and try to build a nice collection while saving as much money as possible? I have every PF Universal Monster as well as Nosferatu and London after Midnight. Do you know how I got them? Not with cash. I couldnt afford it. I did paintwork for other people to offset the cost. I have about $150 invested in the entire collection of 6. Not SSE versions for me. You don't like it when folks have to "flip" things to keep their hobby afloat? Me neither. But I don't see the prices going anywhere but up. So something's gotta give.

Anytime I can turn a piece over and make a profit to buy other pieces that I want more....I'll do it. And it's nobody's business but mine. Not everyone sells an item just to score a quick $60, and doesn't deserve to be grouped together with those that do.:maul

I bought a regular Luke from eBay for $100... Was I dumb to do that? Yes. Was the flipper dishonest to sell it to me? No. I look at it as a baptism of sorts into the world of collecting.

In the words of John Lennon regarding money: Grab as much as you can, while you can.

I just bought a DOOM exclusive PF for the same value as ebay prices ( around $800). Am I dumb, of course not but I'm not going to complain about the eBay market. WIN SOME LOSE SOME. Fair game baby. Pixle I agree brotha and I apologize if my post offended you. I buy from ebay MANY times, I just got caught up with the topic. :eek:

Back