1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a lot of people complaining about the Obi Mythos statue being more than Maul so they passed…. Now they are paying $1000+ for it. I hope it doesn’t happen again. :)

Used my points. Obi will cost $32.21 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Man if this had a Ewan sculpt I would've bit, even at $260. I may just buy the clothing for it in the after market to upgrade my SS ROTS Kenobi while I wait for the HT version.

Have kinda regretted not getting the mythos kenobi and vader. The vader dx displayed with the anakin sculpt would go pretty well with this piece. I never much cared for all the orange paint on the mythos vader.

Have kinda regretted not getting the mythos kenobi and vader. The vader dx displayed with the anakin sculpt would go pretty well with this piece. I never much cared for all the orange paint on the mythos vader.

I thought the orange paint was pretty cool until I saw someone do a repaint of the statue, and it just looks way better. I understand the lighting effect the orange was trying to give, but it probably just looks funky in certain lighting no matter what.

This thing is a travesty of pricing and I think they're hoping to reign in alot of suckers based on the popularity of the statue. That being said, I feel dirty that I've already PO'd :lol

I thought the orange paint was pretty cool until I saw someone do a repaint of the statue, and it just looks way better. I understand the lighting effect the orange was trying to give, but it probably just looks funky in certain lighting no matter what.

It looks great in any lighting, but looks spectacular in low light, if they had foregone the orange paint and did the lava in an orange clear resin with an uplight beneath it in the base, it probably would have been even better because you could then control the output. I'm guessing that extra engineering would have upped the price point of what they wanted to hit with these at the time though.

Re: Sideshow vs Hot Toys figure pricing :lecture

This should be obvious, but it's dismissed or forgotten very often: Remember, everything gets mass manufactured in China because it's so much cheaper. It's so cheap because workers get paid so little.
If Sideshow figures were cheaper they'd have to pay their employees wages certainly unbefitting their skill and time, probably not enough to live on in the US.
Conversely, if HT payed their employees respectably, well, if you think they're expensive now...

Not to get political, or make anyone feel bad that people get exploited so we can enjoy these nifty toys and complain about the price, or what anyone should or shouldn't buy, I'm just, y'know. Just sayin'. It's a thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This should be obvious, but it's dismissed or forgotten very often: Remember, everything gets mass manufactured in China because it's so much cheaper. It's so cheap because workers get paid so little.
If Sideshow figures were cheaper they'd have to pay their employees wages certainly unbefitting their skill and time, probably not enough to live on in the US.
Conversely, if HT payed their employees respectably, well, if you think they're expensive now...

Not to get political, or make anyone feel bad that people get exploited so we can enjoy these nifty toys and complain about the price, I'm just, y'know. Just sayin'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...unfortunately value is value and when I go to the movies the cost of a ticket to an indie flick with a $900,000.00 budget is no different than the cost of a ticket to a $250,000,000.00 tent pole blockbuster...moral of the story is don't expect me to pay more for your overhead Sideshow...or some of their senior and executive level leaders could take paycuts and we could probably lop $20 off each one of those Obi Wans...

Guys I have 5 figures currently pre-ordered at SideShow. Should I pre-order this Obi at BBTS ? Their $4 flat shipment rate seems good, and no NRD..just grab that Boba Fett deluxe at BBTS.

Guys I have 5 figures currently pre-ordered at SideShow. Should I pre-order this Obi at BBTS ? Their $4 flat shipment rate seems good, and no NRD..just grab that Boba Fett deluxe at BBTS.

If you don't need the SSC payment plan, I'd definitely go BBTS.

I'm hoping the paint apps and sculpt come out more on the Maul side of being similar to proto pics and less on the every Luke they'd released side lol. Though, the Snowspeeder helmeted sculpt isn't bad IMO...

I haven't purchased a recent Sideshow figure (only have Neyo), are the bodies really bad? Should I just prepare to swap with an HT body?

Not to get political, or make anyone feel bad that people get exploited so we can enjoy these nifty toys and complain about the price, or what anyone should or shouldn't buy, I'm just, y'know. Just sayin'. It's a thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty sure Sideshow sources most of the actual manufacturing overseas though. Sure they've got people in the US who develop their products but I don't think they actually produce their items in the states,

Pretty sure Sideshow sources most of the actual manufacturing overseas though. Sure they've got people in the US who develop their products but I don't think they actually produce their items in the states,

Yes, there is a big "Made In China" on the shipper of SSC figures. I get their designers are in the US and may incur high salaries than what HTs is paying. At the end of the day, SSC charges more but the QC is not better.

I broke down and ordered on BBTS. Not a guarantee I'll keep it, but it does look nice the more I look at it. And Kenobi is one of the best characters in all of Star Wars. Hopefully HT announces their ROTS Kenobi so I can cancel. :lol

Edit: I think I just fell for the outfit and accessories. The sculpt looks eh after examination (old Asian Kenobi), so cancelled. Especially after considering the $260 price tag. I'll be patient for HT and put my money towards Kylo instead.

I actually decided to cancel mine (thank goodness before the NRD was charged.) I was looking at the statue last nigh and I figured no way would the figure be as nice as this so I’ll just stick with it and use that $260 to help pay for the nightmare batman statue.

Back