Sideshow Masters of the Universe Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about statues but why would they put PVC in it?

For they Man of Steel they claimed it was necessary for the suit fabric they were going to use. For Reeve not sure but by judging the statue when I got it it appeared he would have been too top heavy for their plastic unbalanced base that had no weight to hold him in the pose they ultimately decided to go with. And of course it may be to cut cost on the figure and or shipping. Who knows??? But both were in my opinion a big let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be right but so far all the offering from SSC that was PVC has been disappointing-they just don't know how to incorporate it in their statues IMO. For example, with the Man of Steel they did the entire figure in PVC it was like a 2 lb doll. With Reeve the base was cheap plastic the hands and face had plastic seams it was a let down. As for Skeletor they may use some on the snake or not they may use it on the armor who knows??? While I will still take a chance on this fig it's really disappointing that PVC would be considered at all on a 450.00 statue; hoping they will use PVC on the staff or like you said on the Lava only and not on Skeletor at all. IMO PVC is not Sideshow expertise and therefore they really haven't figure out how to incorporate it properly on their statue without turning it into a cheap doll.

Blitzway used PVC on Bruce Lee's face sculpt and it's the most amazing part of the statue. That one was $700, but like you say- SS seems to have a poor track record with it. Hopefully they'll only use it for accents.

I don't know much about statues but why would they put PVC in it?

two reasons I can think of. It's cheaper for one. Its also softer and can be highly detailed if done right. If not it can come off looking like cheap plastic, SS superman style.

Blitzway used PVC on Bruce Lee's face sculpt and it's the most amazing part of the statue. That one was $700, but like you say- SS seems to have a poor track record with it. Hopefully they'll only use it for accents.

two reasons I can think of. It's cheaper for one. Its also softer and can be highly detailed if done right. If not it can come off looking like cheap plastic, SS superman style.

Unfortunately not cheaper for us as they still demand the price of a PF with no plastic (PVC).

I don't know...if we're paying $450 + for this ...there shouldn't be any plastic at all in it. Product Weight
15.00 lbs? Thats very light for a statue..

Last edited:
Just PO this figure as a third and last attempt at seeing what SSC will do with their PVC offerings, being that this does not human characteristics like human skin, etc. the PVC ,if used on the figure itself, may not suffer from the plastic look although it may still feel cheap, hoping they won't but we'll see. While I did ordered him I have to say that I'm not as excited for him as before; I just hope I'm wrong. I know PCS won't have any plastic and it is a true representation of classic Skeletor so at least I'll have that statue to be happy with. Congrats to all on getting this and I hope it is as close to the prototype as possible because if it is it will be an awesome piece to have.
Not getting HeMan as I was only into Skelli as a kid so I'm good on that end. Funny thing I looked up the HeMan description and there is no mention of PVC for him...mmmm I wonder why with Skeletor?? Oh well happy collecting guys!!

Max Power

I don't know...if we're paying $450 + for this ...there shouldn't be any plastic at all in it. Product Weight

Yikes! Both Plastic Sups were 20lb while the comic book Sups that was all polystone was 36lb; however, they were much bigger figures to be fair. Oh well no turning back the trigger has been pulled[emoji15]

Yikes! Both Plastic Sups were 20lb while the comic book Sups that was all polystone was 36lb; however, they were much bigger figures to be fair. Oh well no turning back the trigger has been pulled[emoji15]

I wouldn't worry. Joker, red skull, poison ivy, cat woman, harley quinn and batgirl all weigh under 15lbs. Are 1/4scale and are polystone. Hell even the new powergirl which is all polystone and 1/4 scale only weighs about 13lbs.

Hopefully SSAlex or someone from SSC will provide more information on what parts may be PVC for those wondering.

Since it will probably not come out until early next year, I will wait to see in hand pics and whether or not there are any QC issues with it before pulling the trigger.

Looking at it I am guessing the pvc will be some of the armour, staff and lava from snakes mouth?

Is there a reason why Skeletor is $450 and He-Man is $400, or is it because the coh EX is more valuable than the alternate weapon EX?

Is there a reason why Skeletor is $450 and He-Man is $400, or is it because the coh EX is more valuable than the alternate weapon EX?

Sideshow hyper-inflation. It's quite the phenomenon.

Sideshow just milking us for all they can. Its nothing new. That's their business model.

It'd make a lot of sense to me if the PVC parts were the lava, if they want to make it semi-translucent. I looked at He-man's page, but he doesn't even list materials. Interesting that He-man is listed as about 4lb. lighter than Skeletor.

Actually Polystone too is a plastic, it just has a powdered stone additive to make it stronger/harder. Forgot to mention before too that PVC is more flexible. If parts of a statue are very thin/delicate its probably a lot better that they're made with PVC.

I actually am really loving this Skeletor with the switch out head. Didn't care for this line much before. Money being what it is at the moment I'll have to pass tho. I love the Heman/Battlecat PCS combo I have preordered, if their Skeletor/Panthor is as good I may get another chance with the bony guy in the future

Actually Polystone too is a plastic, it just has a powdered stone additive to make it stronger/harder. Forgot to mention before too that PVC is more flexible. If parts of a statue are very thin/delicate its probably a lot better that they're made with PVC.

I actually am really loving this Skeletor with the switch out head. Didn't care for this line much before. Money being what it is at the moment I'll have to pass tho. I love the Heman/Battlecat PCS combo I have preordered, if their Skeletor/Panthor is as good I may get another chance with the bony guy in the future

thanks for the insight, made me feel better about the per-order. Being my 1st statue and all didn't want to be let down.

thanks for the insight, made me feel better about the per-order. Being my 1st statue and all didn't want to be let down.

PVC is not bad when used correctly, I mean if Hot Toys can make such impressive figures with plastic it shows it can be done. My fear is that SSC can't do it right or use it in the wrong way to cheapen the statue. I'm sorry but all I got as a reference for SSC's use of PVC was their Sups offering and they were extremely disappointing so hopefully they learned from those efforts.

Back