Sideshow Life-sized C3PO & R2D2 (or, "I am apparently insane")

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reality is when you add up all the little things you buy over the years, they will add up to much more than the droids. It's not a bad decision. And you don't have a million boxes to store in the end.

I'm not entirely sure what process they're using. I kind of doubt that they would make a completely shiny chrome version and then weather it, since that would be a lot more work, and it's the final appearance that's important. But in any case it looks like weathered gold metal from the pictures I've seen. Here is a closeup that yodasan took at SDCC:

DSC03139.jpg

I'm pretty sure its plated then dirtied. You can't get that effect otherwise. I also saw the clean versions by Barton before they were dirtied up. Lucas wanted them dirty.

Is there additional pictures from the SDCC? link?

Damn, those are both just unbelievable! So from the site it looks like C-3PO's arms move... any idea how much, or if he has any other points of articulation?

I know the head turns on both. the arms on 3po move. And the hands move.

Does anyone have the don post droids? I heard these are better (there were some casting problems with the Don post ones - especially on r2).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure its plated then dirtied.
I think you're right that they plate it first, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the pre-weathered version would look like a pristine "throne room" C-3PO finish.

You can't get that effect otherwise. I also saw the clean versions by Barton before they were dirtied up. Lucas wanted them dirty.

My theory was that given how Sideshow's factories have been performing, they realized that it would be difficult to get a pristine finish (especially on C-3PO), so they decided to weather them. Just look at how much trouble people are having getting good paint jobs on the 1:1 Iron Man bust -- and that should be simple compared to an entire droid. They also probably wanted to separate themselves from the Don Post versions. Do you know for sure that Lucas dictated the weathered finish? I personally prefer it, so I'm not complaining.

Is there additional pictures from the SDCC? link?
There are some good pictures in this link from the Rebelscum forums. It was actually these pictures that convinced me that they would be worth getting, since the ones on Sideshow's site aren't really that great. No one on any of the sites I frequent has gotten a C-3PO yet, so these are the closest thing we have to in-hand photos of him. A couple of people on Rebelscum have gotten R2 units, though.

Damn, those are both just unbelievable! So from the site it looks like C-3PO's arms move... any idea how much, or if he has any other points of articulation?

C-3PO's head turns, his arms move at the shoulders, and the hands turn at the wrists. R2's dome spins around. And of course they have lights and sounds.

Does anyone have the don post droids? I heard these are better (there were some casting problems with the Don post ones - especially on r2).

There is a thread on the Rebelscum forums about the supposed accuracy problems with the droids, and there are some pictures there of the Don Post versions of the droids. As replicas of the movie props, the Don Post versions may be more accurate, but as you say there are some problems as well. The C-3PO is a bit undersized, and the R2 is apparently kind of flimsy and for some reason has a clear "eye" where it should be black. In any case, they are hard to come by nowadays, and would likely be at least as expensive as the Sideshow versions.

The Don post versions were much more expensive when released ($11K for 3po and $7K for R2). And that was over 10 years ago. These are a bargain.

I believe Lucas wanted them dirty. I don't think the "pristine" form was a concern.

Does anyone have the don post version?

The Don post versions were much more expensive when released ($11K for 3po and $7K for R2). And that was over 10 years ago. These are a bargain.

Well, they were originally $7,500 for C-3PO and $7,000 for R2-D2, as you can see in this scan from a Star Wars Insider magazine from the time. After a while, they increased the price quite a bit because they were apparently more expensive to manufacture than they originally thought. From what I heard, not too many people bought them after the price increase (understandably). Although it says that they are limited to 350 pieces, I don't think they sold anywhere near that many.

DSC01162.jpg

Also, I have heard from people on Rebelscum that they were available for considerably less if you bought through dealers. I believe they said that they were closer to $5000 before the price increase. Of course that's mid-1990s dollars, so the Sideshow versions are still cheaper. But it may not be quite as big a difference as it seems. For what you're getting, though, I do believe the Sideshow versions to be a better deal, quibbles about accuracy aside. I think the weathering makes them look more "real" and overall they seem nicer from what I can tell.

that don post promotion looks a lot like clean versions of the sideshow droids. The pose on the don post 3po was different in the end.

This is a picture of a Don Post C-3PO. It looks like he has a pot belly almost. It's kind of an awkward pose, but the chrome is nice. I'm not sure if the Don Post ones had any articulation at all. (The R2 in the picture is a Gentle Giant R2, which is an improved version of the Don Post design that was given away in some sort of contest sponsored by M&Ms. Apparently only 3 or so were ever made.)

DSCN1743.JPG

Thanks for the pics. I expect the don post 3po is next to impossible to find these days. It must have been difficult to raise the cost during production without a lot of people complaining.

the eyes on the don post 3po look pretty large to me. I think the sideshow version was cast from the oriignal molds. I think its accurate.

No, I don't think they were. I don't know if I believe him, but Fred Barton claims that the originals weren't really suitable for casting, although he did use them for reference. I'm not going to get too hung up on that, though. What's important to me is whether they look good.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures cruise! I think it's great that you have the room to display these, and the money to afford them. Cause I just don't have the space to get any kind of life size collectible period, or the money, unless it's a bust, and even that's pushing it. Congrats to you again man! :rock2 :D

I prefer the sideshow versions myself. The droids were pristine in the classic trilogy for maybe 10 minutes of the film. The sideshow versions are much more representative of their appearance in the trilogy.

That Don Post threepio is pretty incredible looking.....!

Indeed. Wish I would've picked one up back when I had the chance. Now they're impossible to find and even if you're lucky enough to locate one it's gonna cost you somewhere in the $15k neighborhood to buy it. Rumor is they produced less than 100 of them.

Back