Sideshow Life-sized C3PO & R2D2 (or, "I am apparently insane")

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with Sideshow and the droids are coming on the 30th of this month! So far I know of two people who have R2s, but nobody on the forums I frequent have gotten C-3PO yet, so I might be the first. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Looking forward to pics. Have you picked a spot for them yet?

I'm jealous, man! I'm jealous. I wish i had the funds and space for them :monkey2

Just got off the phone with Sideshow and the droids are coming on the 30th of this month! So far I know of two people who have R2s, but nobody on the forums I frequent have gotten C-3PO yet, so I might be the first. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

I hate you so much!

And I mean that in the nicest way possible. :D

Great news!

Are you going to invite Gino over to check out Threepio? :D

Great news!

Are you going to invite Gino over to check out Threepio? :D

:rotfl

I think I'll pass.

(For those who don't frequent the rebelscum forums or the RPF, Gino is a prop enthusiast who was very dismissive of the accuracy of the Sideshow droids.)

icruise you should post in this thread

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48278

and crush the people whining about all the money they are spending this quarter. :)
Maybe I will. ;) You ordered 3PO, right? No word yet on when he's coming?

Unfortunately, thanks to the global recession, business has really slowed down for me in the past month or two, so it's looking like I'm going to have to seriously cut back on collecting for a while. I even considered canceling the droids, but I know I would regret that later (not to mention the $2000+ in cancellation fees). At least I'm going out with a bang. :cool:

I just got a call from Sideshow and apparently they are having some problems with R2 units arriving with a damaged leg. So I was told that I'm going to have to wait 2 or 3 weeks while they sort that out. They said that they had around 35 of them on hand and I guess they're going to be doing individual inspections of them or something. That's disappointing, but not as disappointing as having to return a broken one, so I guess it's OK. On the bright side, they're still going to be delivering C-3PO on the 30th as planned.

I just got a call from Sideshow and apparently they are having some problems with R2 units arriving with a damaged leg. So I was told that I'm going to have to wait 2 or 3 weeks while they sort that out. They said that they had around 35 of them on hand and I guess they're going to be doing individual inspections of them or something. That's disappointing, but not as disappointing as having to return a broken one, so I guess it's OK. On the bright side, they're still going to be delivering C-3PO on the 30th as planned.

Good quality control. Better to get it right than have it arrive on time and broken.

Can't wait for your pics!!! The rest of us will have to live vicariously through you.:lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I look very forward to your pics! I know there was a lot of "discussion" surronding these, but I would buy them in a heartbeat if funds permitted.

Congrats again on acquiring true grails for any Star Wars fan.

So I'm assuming you don't have issues with the accuracy of the pieces? I guess folks have bigger complaints with 3PO than R2.

(For those who don't frequent the rebelscum forums or the RPF, Gino is a prop enthusiast who was very dismissive of the accuracy of the Sideshow droids.)

Well, actually there are complaints about both of the droids from the hardcore prop enthusiasts. The R2 builders think that the Sideshow R2 is a piece of junk. But that's because they're coming at it from a very different perspective. Their hobby is making replicas of the R2 units as they appeared on screen, and this generally means trying to replicate the original parts and so forth. Sideshow's R2 isn't a replica in that sense -- it's a life-sized statue. To the average person (and even to the average hardcore Star Wars fan) they look great, but if you want to start comparing each individual part with the ones used on screen, you're going to find differences. To me, as long as they look good I'm not going to stress about whether a particular part is 100% screen accurate.

To me, the only difference that is noticeable is C-3PO's eyes. They appear to be a bit too big. However, it seems that the way the figure is lit can greatly affect how it looks in photos, so it may be that the size of the eyes is being exaggerated in some shots. We don't have that many pictures of the final C-3PO, but he looks quite a bit better in the shots from SDCC than in the official ones on the Sideshow web site.

In any case, the only options for life-sized droids are to build them yourself (NOT an easy task, especially when it comes to C-3PO), to track down one of the Don Post versions from the 1990s (probably a difficult and expensive proposition) or to get the Sideshow ones. All things considered, I think they're the best option for most people.

Back