Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered Brown froom Sideshow yesterday as I want the second head sculpt. My 8 year old daughter and I just went frame by frame on the bluray after I told her about the debate. I was curious after reading someone thought there could have been both colors worn. We could not find a scene where the coat wasn't clearly brown in direct light. When He mounts the Tauntaun in the base it's in direct light. When he shoots the Probe Droid right when he fires also. When Chewie is working on the Falcon Han os next to him and his sleeve goes into the light. As he is talking with the deck officer holding 3PO by the mouth he walks away just after under an overhead light which floods the jacket showing how brown it is. The lighting on Hoth is very cool and blue, but I liked the idea of a second coat. I think the blue looks cool, and is super nostalgic. I just don't ned to support Sideshow's money grab. While we should have gotten both in one, I will not buy blue and then put out more money to pick up brown loose. The price is high enough already, so I'm just buying the one I know I will display more often.

Though in this case apparently all the blue images are photoshopped so we actually have no point of accurate comparison at all. Who knows what the blue coat will actually look like.

Really? Sideshow is even more out-of-touch than I thought. They obviously had no clue and thought the blue coat would be some obscure variant only a few people wanted.

You would think in the six months since SDCC, they could at least get a blue prototype made. Pathetic.

We could not find a scene where the coat wasn't clearly brown in direct light.

You should know that you can't bring facts to an internet discussion, it's just so out of place! ;) That's like bringing a gun to a knife fight (not the other way round of course).

I'm still wondering why they don't want to call the blue coat exclusive, when it's only available for an exclusive set. :lol
Seems like a sensitive legal matter.

They clearly made no effort whatsoever to gauge what people want in terms of colour or the prospect of packaging both coats together. Their actions suggest that they assumed the overwhelming majority wants brown, so much so they did not even bother to make a blue prototype.

I think somebody nevertheless wanted to leave open the possibility of a blue non-exclusive in case the initial orders show they misjudged the fan interest (or if retailers got upset about not being able to carry the blue version).

Really? Sideshow is even more out-of-touch than I thought.

Yeah, some people were commenting a few pages back that they noticed that a lot of the pictures of the "blue" coat were just the same brown images photoshopped to look blue. Who knows what the actual color will be.

21341-captain-han-solo-hoth-002.jpg

21342-captain-han-solo-hoth-005.jpg

Ordered Brown froom Sideshow yesterday as I want the second head sculpt. My 8 year old daughter and I just went frame by frame on the bluray after I told her about the debate. I was curious after reading someone thought there could have been both colors worn. We could not find a scene where the coat wasn't clearly brown in direct light. When He mounts the Tauntaun in the base it's in direct light. When he shoots the Probe Droid right when he fires also. When Chewie is working on the Falcon Han os next to him and his sleeve goes into the light. As he is talking with the deck officer holding 3PO by the mouth he walks away just after under an overhead light which floods the jacket showing how brown it is. The lighting on Hoth is very cool and blue, but I liked the idea of a second coat. I think the blue looks cool, and is super nostalgic. I just don't ned to support Sideshow's money grab. While we should have gotten both in one, I will not buy blue and then put out more money to pick up brown loose. The price is high enough already, so I'm just buying the one I know I will display more often.

I did the same thing last night, except with Harmy's Despecialized Edition 1.0 AVCHD and indeed the coat is brown in almost every shot, most obviously in the shots you listed (I screen-capped a few of them if anyone is interested). I was already going to buy the brown coat version, but that just solidified the decision. That said, I do wish the blue coat had been the exclusive so we all could have had both options in one figure purchase. Bad form here, Sideshow.

They clearly made no effort whatsoever to gauge what people want in terms of colour or the prospect of packaging both coats together. Their actions suggest that they assumed the overwhelming majority wants brown, so much so they did not even bother to make a blue prototype.

I think somebody nevertheless wanted to leave open the possibility of a blue non-exclusive in case the initial orders show they misjudged the fan interest (or if retailers got upset about not being able to carry the blue version).

They already separated the coats. I can see more people disgruntled if they release a real non-exclsive blue coat later and not now when everyone is making a decision. Not everyone doesn't have to pay NRDs or have unlimited pre-order period.

I do not understand the reason behind selling it as two different figures. Luke and Han have the same price point. Luke comes with 3 head sculpts! Han does not.

So at this price point wouldn't it make more sense to have Han include an extra Jacket? This whole thing just feels like a dirty cash grab, it is not all too different from Hot Toys and their latest Thor offering.

At this point I accept the price point of these collectibles. Economy is doing pretty bad and prices for everything including our hobby have skyrocketed into the air. We may complain about it but face the facts. We still will be buying and I think for the price point of Luke and Han. Isn't that bad. Both very well done figures and I can't wait to have them. Just got to accept it. Hot Toys prices are getting even worse than Sideshow. Sideshow I can accept but Hot Toys I can't. For the debate like I have stated I really don't care. The screen used coat was Brown. Lighting gave off the bluish tint. But I ordered the Han Solo Blue Jacket EX. Reason why Is both are very nice you can't go wrong with any. I do agree it wasn't the best choice on Sideshow's part to pick and choose which like the rest of you would of preferred to get both Jackets within the set. Just starts up the debate again but at the same time it's actually a good move. You like Brown than you get Brown. Like Blue get Blue. It's whatever. Done deal but the reason I picked Blue is it will change up my Hoth Display setup when I get everything together. Will look nice. So whatever color you choose. Brown or Blue. You can't go wrong.

Just too bad there was never an official statement by anyone who worked on the film if they intended the jacket to be Brown but the Blue lighting made it look blue OR they wanted the jacket Blue but used Brown fabric with Blue lighting to get their desired Blue.

With that said Im just about 99.9% on the side it was supposed to be Brown, just the blue lighting made it look Blue in certain scenes.

So i think Ill be getting the Brown version with Two Heads.

God, was hoping I'd wake up and we'd find that it was a mistake and that there would be a 2 coat version.

Oh well. Guess people will vote with their wallets and maybe this will become a regular way of doing business for Sideshow. If they get people to double dip then they are definitely doing it right I guess.

I don't think intent is even important. I think personal perception is all that matters. If your eyes see blue and someone else's see brown, to decide, "I must be wrong. Their perception is fact and mine is biased," is such an utter abdication of your own consciousness that you might as well have them eat your dinner, tell you how it tastes, and then thank them while you sit there starving. For someone to expect others to defer to their perception is the height of arrogance, and more than a minor confession of insecurity. Anyone who requires that their consciousness be flattered by the obedience of others is highly lacking in self-esteem. Otherwise, they'd be content with the satisfaction that their own experience is in fact their own. An independent mind does not need the conformity of others.

Last edited:
Yah but if the Rebel Hoth uniform was meant to be Brown, then its Brown....:dunno
There is no official documentation stating what its supposed to be. With so much out there on Star Wars history, including official uniforms, this one seems will be a mystery unless someone official tells the public what it was meant to be.

Isn't it possible that it was not nearly as important to the people making the film as it is to the fans?

I see dark blue with brown highlights in certain lighting. I don't care what anyone has to say regarding what I'm supposed to see.

Well they spent a lot of months & years on costume design to decide what their uniforms will look like. John Mollo won an Oscar for his costume design for Star Wars. So i think its important.

Yah but if the Rebel Hoth uniform was meant to be Brown, then its Brown....:dunno
There is no official documentation stating what its supposed to be. With so much out there on Star Wars history, including official uniforms, this one seems will be a mystery unless someone official tells the public what it was meant to be.

But Han's not wearing a Rebel uniform. No other Rebel wears anything close to what Han wears. He wears his own thing. Which is why, even though the prop was brown, I think he's supposedly wearing blue. It's what his character wears in the movie--a blue outer jacket.

I'm with Khev!

I get that there is apparently a brown museum coat making the rounds. But I just watched the Harmy ESB and that coat he wears is blue, blue, blue. :lol

It's not a "tint" thing either, unless it is a unique shade of brown that appears blue under light like Zartan or something. Han's hair onscreen? Brown. Chewie? Brown. His gun belt over his blue coat? Brown. If his coat is really "brown" then why doesn't his hair or Chewie or ANY other brown also trick people into thinking they are blue?

Why does *every* other brown color actually look brown in ESB *except* Han's coat? Because that's what the "brown camp" would have you believe.

Of course the Tippett miniature is relevant, because it's blue! Which begs the question, WHY is it blue? Because Pippett just made a mistake, a mistake that the majority of people who watch ESB also make? Based on what evidence can we say he made a mistake? The fact that some people think Han was running around in some one of a kind Zartan coat? If the coat looks blue when a ton of other stuff onscreen looks brown, then IT ISN'T BROWN. :lol

In Kenner we Trust. In Tippett we Trust. In our Eyes we Trust. In Common Sense we Trust. In Zartan we Don't Trust, Because His Superpowers Don't Really Exist.

:goodpost:

Is that on the Harmy edit? I read he was supposed to have 'colour-corrected' the copy he worked from.

Echo Base had rows of blue lamps on the ground. What do you see in other lighting?

And are there any stills to be seen from the Harmy? I searched for some today, but came up with nothing.

As opposed to an argument between what's right and what's wrong, I'm intrigued by the evidence and the variance between what different people have seen. After all, I'm guessing we generally collect things that inspire us and trigger nostalgia, so 'right' and 'wrong' don't factor into that equation.

The Harmy edit is the first place I noticed brown highlights, but I'm still getting a lot of blue tones. I can see it in the Walmart exclusive bonus dvd's too (the one's presenting the unaltered trilogy, although I'm not sure what copies those are based on). The places they were most apparent were under the Falcon's outer lights, which are much more yellow than the rest of the base.

If the Harmy's are color corrected, that suggests to me that the original edits appeared even more blue.

And I agree that it absolutely has nothing to do with right or wrong. And it is extremely interesting (until people start bible-thumping, so to speak).

But thats what Im saying....No one knows what it "officially" is "supposed" to be. Fans just state their opinions of what they think it "might" be, but there is no official statement by anyone who worked on the film. All we have seen is a screen used Brown Coat, many people have photographed it. But there has never been a Blue Coat ever shown to the public. Plus many of those props were destroyed back in the day. I know it looks blue at times on screen, but was it supposed to be blue and they used brown fabric with blue filters to get it to their desired blue? (this lighting effect happens all the time in movies) OR was it supposed to be brown, but the blue lighting made the brown look blue?....No fans really know the true answer....its just all speculation ever since this jacket controversy started many years ago. You figure some big Star War fan who know people who worked on the film might have talked to someone about it at some point, but its funny that no has has ever asked since its been a bit of mystery after all these years. Even the Brown Coat for that museum, doesn't seem like there was any explanation about the controversy. All you get is examples that the toys changed. Figure maybe Sideshow might have had access to someone who worked on the film when making their figures, someone must have talked to someone at some point. But the question just never seems to get asked or if it was, its never been told to the public.

It just seems odd that no one from Star Wars creators or crew has ever really come out and said what it was supposed to be since the day the controversy started. Maybe because it helps sell products to be able to have different versions?

But thats what Im saying....No one knows what it "officially" is "supposed" to be. Fans just state their opinions of what they think it "might" be, but there is no official statement by anyone who worked on the film. All we have seen is a screen used Brown Coat, many people have photographed it. But there has never been a Blue Coat ever shown to the public. Plus many of those props were destroyed back in the day. I know it looks blue at times on screen, but was it supposed to be blue and they used brown fabric with blue filters to get it to their desired blue? (this lighting effect happens all the time in movies) OR was it supposed to be brown, but the blue lighting made the brown look blue?....No fans really know the true answer....its just all speculation ever since this jacket controversy started many years ago. You figure some big Star War fan who know people who worked on the film might have talked to someone about it at some point, but its funny that no has has ever asked since its been a bit of mystery after all these years. Even the Brown Coat for that museum, doesn't seem like there was any explanation about the controversy. All you get is examples that the toys changed. Figure maybe Sideshow might have had access to someone who worked on the film when making their figures, someone must have talked to someone at some point. But the question just never seems to get asked or if it was, its never been told to the public.

It just seems odd that no one from Star Wars creators or crew has ever really come out and said what it was supposed to be since the day the controversy started. Maybe because it helps sell products to be able to have different versions?

They're simply going by Harrison Ford's stand on the matter.

Back