Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has it too. Crack right across the hat.

I'm probably breaking the new code of conduct rules by saying the QC on these figures is very poor.

Can't break any rules if what you're saying is a fact. Fact of the matter is, SSCs prices are reaching or exceeding Hot Toys but some of their latest releases have not been up to par with the price point. Which with their close relationship with Hot Toys seems very puzzling.
I commend them for trying to forge new ground with the head sculpts having separate eyes and whatnot but the execution has been spotty at best. Admittedly it does look less lifeless in person, it still could look better. In hand and in pics, it looks kinda like a kewpie doll effect at certain angles.

Alright received Han in today as the final package deal from the UT contest and overall it's pretty good! Very impressed by the quality. Some minor nit picks which in the review I'll mention but overall I like the figure a lot. The Exclusive head is my favorite. Both sculpts look like Ford! The paint is solid as the outfit is pretty damn good but one of the flaps on the arms came lose so it sits up and doesn't stay down. As some of the hood fur comes off easily. Overall you can't go wrong with this one. Sideshow did a great job with him. Review coming tomorrow but here's some pics to hold you guys over. Tauntaun pics with Han will hopefully will come soon but in my review I'll show him on his ride. Highly recommend him to any Star Wars Fan or Harrison Ford Fan! Very impressed. Enjoy!

Ryan

2le74h0.jpg

333ldgi.jpg

Man, the bill on the helmet is really cracking? Sure it's not just the paint?

The crack is on my Hoth Luke hat as well and yes it does appear to be caused by the paint cracking at the seam of the bill and the cap.

Got my holster from TA today. It didn't come with the droid caller (for some strange reason), but I'm hoping the one from my old Bespin figure will still work well enough...

The holster is also looking a bit odd to me with those empty pouches, so think I might have to scratchbuild some little silver doodads to fit inside. And checking google, it does look like there are supposed to be some in ESB.

Yeah I noticed they sold the droid caller separately. :lol

I'm probably going to cannibalize the parts from the Bespin Solo belt since I like the Hoth Belt more.

I had a chance to really "play" with him all weekend and I have to say that the figure is great! I know it's the biggest cliche here on these boards, but it really does look so much better IRL. I ended up taking off the Bespin jacket and shirt, and adjusted the gauntlets a bit, and it really looks great. I ordered a knock-off TT narrow shoulders so I can bash a new Bespin Han.

The clothing is quite impressive.The fit on the jacket and pants are quite good. I even like the boots. I think the soft rubber or silicone or whatever it is works really well in that it allows for a lot of movement. The sleeves of the coat could have been a touch slimmer, but ultimately it doesn't look too bad and certainly doesn't look like a Hasbro coat. Yes the holster strap is oversized and loose but Vonhahn had a great fix for it. The accessories are beautifully detailed and I'm constantly changing my mind about which piece he should be holding--the blaster, the binocs or the scanner.

My one criticism is of course the eyes. The prototype showed a much squintier look which I think would have worked much better for the portrait. He's just a bit too wide eyed in the way he came out. But honestly it isn't terrible in-hand. It's actually pretty good and after a little while you even forget about it. The overall sculpt and paint is really quite good. The paint is subtle and if you look closely there are some minor speckles on the face. I actually prefer them being a little more conservative with the paint because there is less of a chance for them to screw it up!

Even the pro 1.0 that mine came with has been okay. The joints are nice and tight and he is able to get some natural poses. I thought about moving him to a knock-off TT but I'm happy with him as-is.

And unfortunately mine came with a little paint rub on one of the gauntlets. I contacted Sideshow so hopefully I will get a replacement.

I'm very happy with it and I'm glad I got him! He may be my favorite HF figure in my collection!

IMG_7341%2B1.JPG

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7316%2B1.JPG

IMG_7343%2B1.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

Oh cool, first time I've seen him without the gloves. That actually works pretty well.

I was eager to try that look and I'm really liking it. That's how he's staying for now. The sleeve edges could use more futzing and even maybe an ironing since they're really wrinkled because of the gauntlets.

That's perfect! :clap

Thanks, kl241!

Love the no-gloves look, Mad Old Lu!

I do think that Sideshow has yet again made oven mitts for gloves. Not as bad as the Snowie's catcher's mitts, but still noticeable. The gauntlets are also very "fat" instead of being somewhat flat and flared (especially Han with the thick parka sleeves ballooning the gauntlets,) so using the bare hands looks terrific.

In case anyone is curious... yes, you can remove a bit of Han's belt and make it fit on the non-Hoth figure.

Looking at a prop guide on-line, it looks like all the right bits are present on the Hoth belt, just a wider space between the edge of the droid caller and the first set of nail heads. The droid caller plate and first pocket can be pulled out of the holes in the belt. Then for placement, I used the far hold of the droid caller plate as the first hole and made a new one, effectively shifting it over one place. Then glued the first pouch with fabric glue and reglued the velco next to the first hole the droid caller plate used to occupy. When closed you can't see any holes and it all looks good.

I also tightened up the leg strap, but need to make it a smidge tighter.

I think the belt is a bit too dark in color and I think I'll remove the current nail heads, the look more like pastic beads. Funny since the original ESB belt had real nail heads and looked better for it.

46182cdc-ca2c-4ad1-a6e5-8b91c368ca38_zpsugnplixp.jpg

In case anyone is curious... yes, you can remove a bit of Han's belt and make it fit on the non-Hoth figure.

Looking at a prop guide on-line, it looks like all the right bits are present on the Hoth belt, just a wider space between the edge of the droid caller and the first set of nail heads. The droid caller plate and first pocket can be pulled out of the holes in the belt. Then for placement, I used the far hold of the droid caller plate as the first hole and made a new one, effectively shifting it over one place. Then glued the first pouch with fabric glue and reglued the velco next to the first hole the droid caller plate used to occupy. When closed you can't see any holes and it all looks good.

I also tightened up the leg strap, but need to make it a smidge tighter.

I think the belt is a bit too dark in color and I think I'll remove the current nail heads, the look more like pastic beads. Funny since the original ESB belt had real nail heads and looked better for it.

46182cdc-ca2c-4ad1-a6e5-8b91c368ca38_zpsugnplixp.jpg

This new belt is much more pleather-y (with the black fabric backer) then the older SSC Han holsters which seem to be a better material (more like leather - color and sheen) and seem a bit more accurate. At least the smuggler one I have is.

The new Han Hoth belt material reminds me of the material that the Hasbro Lando skiff's loincloth/belt/holster was made from - glossy brown on one side, black fabric on the other. Unfortunately a lot of that type of pleather goes bad in time like Walrusman's jacket. The old smuggler belt I have has to be nearly ten years old and seems fine.

Yup, I was able to do pretty much the same thing with mine. And the other thing I did is make a new black belt as well, since the original one was so narrow and cheap looking.

IMAG3502 (462x800).jpg

Now I just gotta wait for my new jacket to arrive.

Looks great without gloves. Feels more Harrison/Solo like for some reason.
Those eyes though, because they seem to stare into thin air, it makes it look like something shocking is happening to his derrière.

Probe droid?

Hood up for me. :lol

Last edited:
Love the no-gloves look, Mad Old Lu!

I do think that Sideshow has yet again made oven mitts for gloves. Not as bad as the Snowie's catcher's mitts, but still noticeable. The gauntlets are also very "fat" instead of being somewhat flat and flared (especially Han with the thick parka sleeves ballooning the gauntlets,) so using the bare hands looks terrific.

They needed to leave something for the Hot Toys crowd to fixate on and insist Hot Toys will do better with (he says as he brings up the shipment tracking on Star Lord).

Back