Sideshow grumble

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't (*&^ing believe this!

I bought some new stands and new Luke Blaster and then I snap my ANH Obi Wan sabre off at the thin part of the hilt trying to get the thing out of the figures hands.

Sideshow is a dirty word right now!

Same thing happened to my ANH Obi Wan, definitely not an isolated system. I think the same thing happened to Bcm77 too.
His Light Sabre is just too fragile.

I think it is more that the hands are so rigid. A lot of the other figures have softer plastic where the hands are concerned making the removal of the accessories a tad easier. Still bloody annoying though.

you guys should stop buying dolls....they look bad, and doesnt stand the test of time...Statues is where this hobby is profitable and enjoyable.

+ SWSUX.

Ahhhhh, the sweet smell of discrimination. You're wrong on several accounts. First, collecting action figures and collecting little figurines and chachkis are two different hobbies. People might do both, but they're two different markets. 2nd, the Hot Toys Predator line, as well as the RoboCop line disprove your theory. Both lines run an average of a 50% price increase in resale value less than a year after an item's release (anyone who's had to buy a Predator from ebaY or the secondary market can vouch for this). Add to this that the average SS Exclusive SW figure fetches an extra $20 on average after they're released (a 20+% increase in value immediately after release).

As far as action figures looking "bad," that's a biased and general statement. Let's take Sideshow's Han Solo PF and their 12" Smuggler Han to use as an example. Sideshow's PF looks just like Zach Braff and really nothing like Ford at all, yet their 12" figure has a fairly good resemblance to Ford.

My local comic shop has both the PF Han Solo and Luke with a $300 price tag. Not surprisingly, over the past two years, neither has sold. Additionally, ebaY is flooded with PFs and statues at retail and guess what? They ain't selling all that well either. TIME and DEMAND are what makes an item monetarily valuable. But that "value" is irrelevant to about 90% of the people here as it's more a sentimental value that you really can't put a price on. And as I was mistakenly told by a member of these boards, if you're collecting for turnover profits, you're in the wrong forums.

And I don't see the difference between collecting "dolls" and collecting figurines and chachkis. Even though you used the term "dolls" to be derogatory and intentionally offensive, and taking into consideration that the term "action figure" was a marketing ploy by Mattel to sell their G.I. Joe 12" "doll" to a masculine consumer base, to be blunt, dolls don't have movable parts or "action" features (and no, I don't even consider Barbie a "doll" as she has movable parts). Even still, by your rational, some of Sideshow's PFs have moving heads, arms, etc... and wear real cloth outfits. Wouldn't that make them "dolls" too?

What Shai is really talking about is Marvel statues, I think. None of Sideshow's Star Wars stuff (whether PFs, figures, or busts) appreciates like Marvel stuff does. To me, that's mostly a good thing, since you can get things on the secondary market long after release and not pay a fortune.

What Shai is really talking about is Marvel statues, I think. None of Sideshow's Star Wars stuff (whether PFs, figures, or busts) appreciates like Marvel stuff does. To me, that's mostly a good thing, since you can get things on the secondary market long after release and not pay a fortune.

Even still, just walk into your local comic shop. Most of the Marvel statues they have there, at retail, aren't really selling either. I ended up buying all the SS exclusive Sentinel X-Men statues at LESS than retail when he gave me a discount for the lot. How is that "appreciating" in value?

Meh, dont get worried about the 'dolls' tag. It used to bother me but it doesnt anymore.

Think about it, the 6" collectors laugh at the 3 3/4" 'toy' collectors. 1/6 collectors laugh at the 6" 'toy'collectors. The statue collectors laugh at the 1/6 'doll' collectors. The 1:1 lifesize collectors laugh at the 'tiny' statue collectors. And everyone else 'normal' on the outside that dont collect anything laugh at ALL of us '40-year old virgins.'

So dont feel bad about collecting 'dolls' as some would say, everyone gets heat for their collections, whether it's stamps, coins, beanie babies, barbies, whatever.

Its weird how everone likes to discriminate against their own kind anyways. Marvel collectors laugh at Star Wars collectors? WTF? So we collect Jedis and they collect Hulks? What's the difference?

Same thing happened to my ANH Obi Wan, definitely not an isolated system. I think the same thing happened to Bcm77 too.
His Light Sabre is just too fragile.

Open the hand and let it drop out, don't try and pull the saber from the hand.

Meh, dont get worried about the 'dolls' tag. It used to bother me but it doesnt anymore.

Think about it, the 6" collectors laugh at the 3 3/4" 'toy' collectors. 1/6 collectors laugh at the 6" 'toy'collectors. The statue collectors laugh at the 1/6 'doll' collectors. The 1:1 lifesize collectors laugh at the 'tiny' statue collectors. And everyone else 'normal' on the outside that dont collect anything laugh at ALL of us '40-year old virgins.'

So dont feel bad about collecting 'dolls' as some would say, everyone gets heat for their collections, whether it's stamps, coins, beanie babies, barbies, whatever.

Its weird how everone likes to discriminate against their own kind anyways. Marvel collectors laugh at Star Wars collectors? WTF? So we collect Jedis and they collect Hulks? What's the difference?

I'm not mad about it. I just find it hypocritical that he uses it and wanted to point out that there isn't really a difference between the two collectors in what they collect and appreciated value of the collectibles. And being honest, I understand that the whole term "action figure" was a coined marketing ploy by Mattel because they didn't want to try to sell a "doll" to boys.

I think he's just mad because he streaked his superhero underoose so his mom threw them out and they no longer make them in his size. :p

:D Sideshow
Yes, they are kings in selling overpriced 12", and most of their stuff has lost it's value, the minute you've bought it. Even their super deluxe customer service can't make up for that anymore.

Actually, that's Medicom. You could make a case for Hot Toys as well but they are the ^^^^^ when it comes to 12" so you can make a case for them. Sideshow is still the cheapest but you get what you pay for. But Medicom is ridiculously overpriced.

I just dont like dolls anymore, but you guys can collect dolls if thats your thing.I prefer statue over dolls.

While the investment of Sideshow's 1/6 Star Wars line is up for debate, I think it is the quality issues that really can't be ignored, I have purchased a few Sideshow 12" 1/6 figures and find that generally in terms of quality they just don't stack up. Thing break easily, paint job is questionable, early figures have massive over sized heads. I have currently the SDCC Vader anakin on display next to sideshow, bbi and hot toys figure and if anakin/Vader wasn't the most powerful force weilder in the galaxy, he certainly had the biggest head. People say Sideshow fills the gap between Hasbro and the more pricey hot toys lines but bbi was able to make excellent figures for basically the same price, and the only down side is that they no longer produce figures as often as they used to. Sideshow has now developed, with the aid of the quality leader hot toys a new body which everyone is no doubt looking forward to seeing and coming into contact with but why wasn't this body developed when they first got the star wars licence, surely Indiana Jones is not more popular than star wars. People will say that if you don't like something then don't buy it, but for 1/6 Star wars fans sideshow and medicom are all we have and I have never been able to purchase a Medicom figure. Any way I just wanted to get that off my chest and hope I haven't offended to many people.

While the investment of Sideshow's 1/6 Star Wars line is up for debate, I think it is the quality issues that really can't be ignored, I have purchased a few Sideshow 12" 1/6 figures and find that generally in terms of quality they just don't stack up. Thing break easily, paint job is questionable, early figures have massive over sized heads. People will say that if you don't like something then don't buy it, but for 1/6 Star wars fans sideshow and medicom are all we have and I have never been able to purchase a Medicom figure. Any way I just wanted to get that off my chest and hope I haven't offended to many people.

That description above fits Medicom more than Sideshow. Except that in place of the head, you get a cheaply built plastic body that breaks all too easy and looks like a little boy, not the grown men they're trying to portray. And add likeness issues as well. As bad as some of the Sideshow's have been, Medicom's missed likenesses more often then not. And let's not forget that they're double the price!

Last edited:

AMEN to that...we're all nerds in this together! :lol

Actually, that's Medicom. You could make a case for Hot Toys as well but they are the ^^^^^ when it comes to 12" so you can make a case for them. Sideshow is still the cheapest but you get what you pay for. But Medicom is ridiculously overpriced.

Yeah for the price of two medicom figures you could buy a Marvel PF (including the cost of shipping) and be much happier!

dolls are boring.

Statues > Dolls

Yup boring!

:)

12IronMan_MarkI.jpg

Back