Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it comes down to what leaves a mark on you as a fan that you then want to see in collectibles. Some people took a broader impression of Godzilla, his overall depiction and characterization, and in that case, the Sideshow piece is great, it really captures the essence of him from the 2014 movie.

Some folks, myself included, really dove into his design, following all the little details put into it, waiting for each leak to slowly get a sense of what he'd look like, so those fine little parts are burnt in our mind to the point where their absence can take value out of a collectible.

I have nothing against what Sideshow did with this maquette, as you mention, it's an artistic interpretation, but that interpretation just doesn't work for me personally. The new statue is more in line with my tastes, it has the finer details that I expect to see when looking at a Godzilla 2014 piece and a dynamic pose. I can agree that the head proportion is off and it's not a 100% perfect depiction, but for me personally, so much else works in that piece that I don't even pay attention to that fact, just like folks here like the pose on the maquette so much they ignore if every little detail is there.

I'm passionate about Godzilla, especially this movie and design of the character, so I just love to come here and discuss the good bad and everything else about Sideshow's work and any photography and such of the pieces.

If you look at the pics pilky posted you can see how short the snout is. It's a very good reflection of the cgi model.

If you look at the pics pilky posted you can see how short the snout is. It's a very good reflection of the cgi model.

That is one of many details to capture, I agree though, in profile his overall headshape is right. They got it it about 80% right overall, there are just a few areas, and most more fine detail than broad, that need tweaking. The feet are the most significantly off looking part, and that's not much better on the statue either, a big part being the smaller toenails almost more like a classic Godzilla than the elephant-like feet of the 2014.

I decided to spend a single hour doing some dry brushing on this just to see what I could accomplish. This is something anyone with hardly any painting ability can do. Certainly, the factory could have dedicated one additional hour to each statue for this purpose. Maybe the pictures don't show it very well, but I think it made quite an effect. I only used some dark gray and some black. Did the whole body, or at least everything I wanted to high light in this manner. Probably going to do a bit more with some browns and maybe a touch of green.
004.JPG
005.JPG

That does look better. I fear even the highest of high-end paint jobs would be wasted on this piece though.

I decided to spend a single hour doing some dry brushing on this just to see what I could accomplish. This is something anyone with hardly any painting ability can do. Certainly, the factory could have dedicated one additional hour to each statue for this purpose. Maybe the pictures don't show it very well, but I think it made quite an effect. I only used some dark gray and some black. Did the whole body, or at least everything I wanted to high light in this manner. Probably going to do a bit more with some browns and maybe a touch of green.
View attachment 198452
View attachment 198453

Looks much better. You should do a "how to" video and post it on YouTube.

Spines look much improved...shame you even have to do your own labor.

The shape of the head still bothers me. The area by the mouth and cheeks looks to flat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I 100% agree. Even with the Maquette's faults, IMO, it's destroys the Xplus. I'd never buy the Xplus because to me it looks like a plastic, lifeless, toy.

I 100% disagree. The X-Plus is way more accurate to the screen used model, more massive - the SS Godzilla looks like a starved version of the 2014 Godzilla.
It´s true, the pose of the X-Plus is a little bit boring compared to Sideshows, but that´s no problem for me. And yes, it´s made of PVC not resin, some collectors
don´t like that which i can understand, but there are some pretty cool and detailed PVC models on the market, nobody cares about if the rest is great.

Better a heavy and pretty massive PVC model than a hollow, lightweight, rotocasted resin Godzilla - just my opinion.

Imho, both X-Plus and Sideshow's 2014 Goji have their merits, but I do particularly like the dynamic stance of the Maquette.

Sideshow trying to get people preorder by showing product sample with 'Prototype Shown' message really screwed up this time, let alone people need to pay the 'non-refundable deposit' on top. I am sure if the final production photos are 99 percent close to the prototype ones, we wouldn't be having this dark side conversation. Please relax and be cool. :clap

Anyone with this maquette got any pics of it admitst a collection? Am keen to see how it measures up against some PFs and with shelving height etc.

The eyes and mouth are much better, the distinction in skintone between underside and back is good, plus the mouth, but his overall body seems more monotone than the original Sideshow paint at least in those photos, and it looks a bit glossy.

Check out this Repaint of him from a "David Manke Sr." Looks leaps and bounds better already.
View attachment 199291

Does look better. I like the paler underside to give a bit of distinction, but not fussed on how it goes orange in the neck area.

Still, looks better than the flat grey of sideshow's original paint. I mean, he was after all more black than dusty grey in the film, and the maquette looks so pale and flat in this guys review: My Video Review of the Sideshow Godzilla 2014 Maquette - YouTube

Last edited:
I heard this piece is hallow pvc is that true, if so I wouldn't go near this statue even if I had 800 dollars to spend on it, to me its a rip off just like the superman pf by side show. But only if thats true I think this statue looks way off and its crazy lately side show has been a disaster with certain expensive statues. Then others they been dead on but I am really looking for different companies other than side show to buy statues because to me side show has been really bad as of late and this is unacceptable!!!

Back