Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about it. Meeting a long-time modeler tomorrow to discuss. Stripping an expensive piece like this and repaint is pretty crazy. Exciting thought, as this could look good, but always a risk.

It looks like it could be killer with a repaint, though. My only beef is with the initial price. Good repaints are fraggin' expensive. $800 + shipping + repaint? Let's say it winds up being about $1200-1400 in the end. It would have to be an insane repaint for me to take the plunge.

"The statue looks like a toy, without movement or life..." More proof that people see things differently. Using this posted photo for a comparison, I'd say one of these Godzillas does indeed look like a toy, without movement or life, while the other looks like a full-fledged statue with strong presence and emotion packed into its stance, including a dramatically raised head that seems to be bellowing operatically. I'll leave it up to the fair-minded observer to decide which of these more closely resembles a static toy or action figure, and which one conveys the aura of a statue with high emotion and movement in its stance.View attachment 198022
The maquette may have presence and emotion in its stance, a dramatically raised head, etc., but the flat ass paint and the price that is WAY too much, kill it. I'm glad I cancelled my order on this. Even though the X-Plus piece is static, to me, it is much better in every way.

Only place I am finding any of the X-Plus right now is eBay. Seeing a few for around $260-270 shipped. That's at least as good as BBTS. Hoping the new statues will be up for PO somewhat soon. I'd love to see the price and specs.

With that said, now that some of you have this maquette, is anyone planning to get a repaint?

AmiAmi [Character & Hobby Shop] | Toho 30cm Series - Godzilla (2014) Complete Figure (Partial Assembly Required)(Released)

"The statue looks like a toy, without movement or life..." More proof that people see things differently. Using this posted photo for a comparison, I'd say one of these Godzillas does indeed look like a toy, without movement or life, while the other looks like a full-fledged statue with strong presence and emotion packed into its stance, including a dramatically raised head that seems to be bellowing operatically. I'll leave it up to the fair-minded observer to decide which of these more closely resembles a static toy or action figure, and which one conveys the aura of a statue with high emotion and movement in its stance.

I like the X-Plus better. Much better detail and price.

The paint and sculpt on the x-plus look better imo but yes it's a neutral pose.
5b387ad89ce0e268444c597ccdb482e9.jpg

621271795244c738af58415142289e3c.jpg

b234d3cf061534c082f1ce12798e2f58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No doubt paint could help, but the texture on the maquette is just soft overall. Other than the armor on the side and top of his neck, this Godzilla has a rough skin, that just doesn't come through, the right paint could make what is there stand out more but the overall look feels more like something that you might find in Jurassic Park.

It looks like it could be killer with a repaint, though. My only beef is with the initial price. Good repaints are fraggin' expensive. $800 + shipping + repaint? Let's say it winds up being about $1200-1400 in the end. It would have to be an insane repaint for me to take the plunge.

I would do the repaint myself, but decided today to send back. Even assuming I bear the cost of labor of repaint, there is still the time and effort, etc. and I'm still out the $800+ for a piece that I repainted. I hope all those who purchased and keep really enjoy the piece. I am bummed, but hey, will move on.

Hi everyone, I am JKB, andnew to this forum, and I have been following this thread for a while now. Like many of you, I was looking forward to receiving the maquette from Sideshow, but as soon as they released the final production photos, it did took me a few days to gather my thoughts, but luckily I managed to cancelled it just before they shipped it (saved $900 including shipping!!), and got to know from you guys (many thanks) about the X-plus version. I wasted no time and got it from another website based in Japan, which I must admit it turned out pretty neat, both quality and pricing. I would like to share the images I took from the model with those of you who are considering getting one. :clap

IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg

I honestly don't understand the fuss being made over the X-Plus ...it looks like an oversized toy (which it is) compared to the SideShow sculpt. By that I mean lifeless. Sure, the details pop more because it's a harsher, less artistic interpretation of the creature: I appreciate it's all taste though and evidently some folks prefer a spec toy to a sculpture. Two different mediums IMO.

I honestly don't understand the fuss being made over the X-Plus ...it looks like an oversized toy (which it is) compared to the SideShow sculpt. By that I mean lifeless. Sure, the details pop more because it's a harsher, less artistic interpretation of the creature: I appreciate it's all taste though and evidently some folks prefer a spec toy to a sculpture. Two different mediums IMO.

It's not a preference of toy over statue, people praising X-Plus over Sideshow are doing so for the level of sculptural detail, representation of the CGI model form the movie and paint application.

I think every one of those folks would love to own the maquette had the paint and sculpt work been to the same level, but at this point, they feel there's a choice between going after a very expensive piece for a unique and interesting pose, or a less expensive piece that looks more like they want a piece depicting this Godzilla to appear.

I think those same people would probably agree with me that the newest Sideshow statue is a vast improvement over those flaws they see in the maquette, so it's not not about the type of product, and yes, the head proportion on the statue is off, neither Sideshow piece is dead on. If the maquette had the detail level of the statue and the accuracy, and the statue had the proportions, they'd have two of the most amazing Godzilla pieces ever done.

From consumer's point of view, the fuss is all about the value you get in return from the money you spent, that's $800 to Sideshow vs $185 to X-Plus.

It's not a preference of toy over statue, people praising X-Plus over Sideshow are doing so for the level of sculptural detail, representation of the CGI model form the movie and paint application.

I wasn't clear in my last post. I appreciate you're judging both pieces on equal merits, toy or statue regardless. I just don't understand the preoccupation over 'level of sculptural detail'.

I haven't seen either in person TBH but what immediately strikes me, and impresses me first and foremost is the pose and 'life' of a piece. The details are obviously important but more of a secondary consideration. I do agree that the price of the SSC piece is on the high side, but you're paying for a talented artists work: their dynamic applied to the subject. As opposed to the more clinical, objective process of just replicating an accurate facsimile of the movies digital asset.

I wasn't clear in my last post. I appreciate you're judging both pieces on equal merits, toy or statue regardless. I just don't understand the preoccupation over 'level of sculptural detail'.

I haven't seen either in person TBH but what immediately strikes me, and impresses me first and foremost is the pose and 'life' of a piece. The details are obviously important but more of a secondary consideration. I do agree that the price of the SSC piece is on the high side, but you're paying for a talented artists work: their dynamic applied to the subject. As opposed to the more clinical, objective process of just replicating an accurate facsimile of the movies digital asset.

I think it comes down to what leaves a mark on you as a fan that you then want to see in collectibles. Some people took a broader impression of Godzilla, his overall depiction and characterization, and in that case, the Sideshow piece is great, it really captures the essence of him from the 2014 movie.

Some folks, myself included, really dove into his design, following all the little details put into it, waiting for each leak to slowly get a sense of what he'd look like, so those fine little parts are burnt in our mind to the point where their absence can take value out of a collectible.

I have nothing against what Sideshow did with this maquette, as you mention, it's an artistic interpretation, but that interpretation just doesn't work for me personally. The new statue is more in line with my tastes, it has the finer details that I expect to see when looking at a Godzilla 2014 piece and a dynamic pose. I can agree that the head proportion is off and it's not a 100% perfect depiction, but for me personally, so much else works in that piece that I don't even pay attention to that fact, just like folks here like the pose on the maquette so much they ignore if every little detail is there.

I'm passionate about Godzilla, especially this movie and design of the character, so I just love to come here and discuss the good bad and everything else about Sideshow's work and any photography and such of the pieces.

I'm passionate about Godzilla, especially this movie and design of the character, so I just love to come here and discuss the good bad and everything else about Sideshow's work and any photography and such of the pieces.

I see where you're coming from :) Your knowledge of all the details would naturally make you much more discerning. I haven't immersed myself in the subject to that extent and I wasn't mad about the film TBH (only saw it once), but I've always loved the concept of Godzilla and his place in pop culture. It goes back to that goofy cartoon series I used to watch as a kid, so I perhaps see the pieces in a more existential light. You said it perfectly: the essence of him. Also I work with CG so the idea of a godzilla that's in a neutral pose like he might be for rigging to an animation skeleton doesn't appeal.

It'll be cool to keep an eye on this thread in the coming weeks to see how people react to the maquette in hand. I don't normally think size matters but it's Godzilla right? :lol I'm 2 flexpays away from getting one so I can't be a cynic ...yet ;)

Indeed size matters, I think every Godzilla collector aspires to have one extra large piece in their collection. I'm still hunting for mine, between space and cost I haven't found one worthy of the position yet, JAKKS maybe since it's the cheapest one would ever be but it also looks very much like a toy, would I want to give up so much space to that. Funnily when I hoped to get this maquette, size was never a consideration, I just liked the pose and I'm a fan of the 2014 design.

I remember people were complaining about the size of the maquette and wished it was taller but in person it's huge. I wouldn't want a larger statue.

I 100% agree. Even with the Maquette's faults, IMO, it's destroys the Xplus. I'd never buy the Xplus because to me it looks like a plastic, lifeless, toy.

I remember people were complaining about the size of the maquette and wished it was taller but in person it's huge. I wouldn't want a larger statue.

I could see that based on photos and maybe just reading specs, it didn't sink in for me how bit it is until the pics of it with the JAKKS figure were posted, I've seen the figure tons of times at Toys R Us and have a really good idea on it's size so to imagine the maquette that big really changes things.

Back