Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The snout is actually smaller than pictures reflect. I'm a very big Godzilla fan and obsessed over the new look -- the face on the statue is very accurate. The size of this piece is great and it does have amazing presence. I haven't put him next to my Hulk Maquette, but Godzilla definitely has more presence than the Hulk.

Although the Hulk base is much better than Godzilla's base...no comparison.

It's pretty accurate, but it's not very. I've unhealthily collected every image and taken countless stills from the movie, it's off, not enough to say it looks nothing like him though, that's going far.

It's pretty accurate, but it's not very. I've unhealthily collected every image and taken countless stills from the movie, it's off, not enough to say it looks nothing like him though, that's going far.

We'll just have to disagree. It's closer than any statue I've seen and only less accurate than perhaps Jakks and X-Plus. It's very accurate.

Btw- Have you seen stills of preproduction test photos of him in different cities?

Btw- Have you seen stills of preproduction test photos of him in different cities?

I'd have to see one, I've got poster art of him in various countries throughout the world, and stills of test shots with the model from one of the Blu Ray featurettes.

The problem for me with the face on the maquette is the overall face feels flat, there's so many layers, the details are there but the way they come off the face just lacks depth, one of the things I love on the new statue from Sideshow.

19164564704_d623ccac4c_b.jpg

19166246833_68d601725a_b.jpg

19599250468_5460686338_b.jpg

19599247720_18728d6015_b.jpg

19600660219_f7b1a558b2_b.jpg

And the maquette and statue were both shot at SDCC, same lighting conditions so it's not like one was in more flattering light than the other, it's the level of sculpt detail.

Having literally just got up from the couch from watching the film again only to check the forum, I can tell you now, this piece is looking worse than before. I really want to love it, but aside from a general silhouette, the likeness falls short in many ways. Personally, I think Sideshow should be ashamed releasing this at this price point. Anyone on the fence, save yourself $600 and see if you can still find an X-Plus G'14.

Last edited:
The pose on the maquette is very nice and dynamic, X-Plus are meant to be collectible figures so the poses are pretty standard.

Having literally just got up from the couch from watching the film again only to check the forum, I can tell you now, this piece is looking worse than before. I really want to love it, but aside from a general silhouette, the likeness falls short in many ways. Personally, I think Sideshow should be ashamed releasing this at this price point. Anyone on the fence, save yourself $600 and see if you can still find an X-Plus G'14.

Only place I am finding any of the X-Plus right now is eBay. Seeing a few for around $260-270 shipped. That's at least as good as BBTS. Hoping the new statues will be up for PO somewhat soon. I'd love to see the price and specs.

With that said, now that some of you have this maquette, is anyone planning to get a repaint?

I'd have to see one, I've got poster art of him in various countries throughout the world, and stills of test shots with the model from one of the Blu Ray featurettes.

The problem for me with the face on the maquette is the overall face feels flat, there's so many layers, the details are there but the way they come off the face just lacks depth, one of the things I love on the new statue from Sideshow.

19164564704_d623ccac4c_b.jpg

19166246833_68d601725a_b.jpg

19599250468_5460686338_b.jpg

19599247720_18728d6015_b.jpg

19600660219_f7b1a558b2_b.jpg

And the maquette and statue were both shot at SDCC, same lighting conditions so it's not like one was in more flattering light than the other, it's the level of sculpt detail.

Both of the SS protos are painted the same, so it's safe to say the new one will be painted the same way, as the maquette. What sticks out most, in the proto paint apps, is the light shading in the crevices.

Received my maquette a couple days ago. Here is email I sent to Sideshow:

Disappointment with Godzilla Maquette.

Received long awaited Maquette. Paint extremely disappointing. With all due respect, it looks like a guy with a can of auto body primer started at top and painted through the base. It is so monotone and the base is just a continuation of the same. Considering the cost of this piece, a more detailed paint job was reasonably anticipated. While Godzilla is arguably not colorful in the movie, quality model painting uses shadings and subtle effects to give illusion of size and life. This statue looks like an oversize toy, without movement or life, not like an expensive Maquette from a premier distributor like Sideshow. I really wish the piece was sent unpainted as it would be spectacular, if reasonably painted. Also the mouth and teeth castings are poorly done as well as sloppily painted. The bottom jaw is not seperated from the gum/teeth at all. The paint looks so hurried. The eyes are amateurish and so poorly shaped and painted, they look painted by an elementary student. Where was quality control, or is this piece simply about profit to Sideshow? I am a registered customer and just know with a little time and effort, with the talent at Sideshow this piece could have and should have been spectacular. Instead, I am saddened and disappointed.

"The statue looks like a toy, without movement or life..." More proof that people see things differently. Using this posted photo for a comparison, I'd say one of these Godzillas does indeed look like a toy, without movement or life, while the other looks like a full-fledged statue with strong presence and emotion packed into its stance, including a dramatically raised head that seems to be bellowing operatically. I'll leave it up to the fair-minded observer to decide which of these more closely resembles a static toy or action figure, and which one conveys the aura of a statue with high emotion and movement in its stance.DSC01994.JPG

Received my maquette a couple days ago. Here is email I sent to Sideshow:

Disappointment with Godzilla Maquette.

Received long awaited Maquette. Paint extremely disappointing. With all due respect, it looks like a guy with a can of auto body primer started at top and painted through the base. It is so monotone and the base is just a continuation of the same. Considering the cost of this piece, a more detailed paint job was reasonably anticipated. While Godzilla is arguably not colorful in the movie, quality model painting uses shadings and subtle effects to give illusion of size and life. This statue looks like an oversize toy, without movement or life, not like an expensive Maquette from a premier distributor like Sideshow. I really wish the piece was sent unpainted as it would be spectacular, if reasonably painted. Also the mouth and teeth castings are poorly done as well as sloppily painted. The bottom jaw is not seperated from the gum/teeth at all. The paint looks so hurried. The eyes are amateurish and so poorly shaped and painted, they look painted by an elementary student. Where was quality control, or is this piece simply about profit to Sideshow? I am a registered customer and just know with a little time and effort, with the talent at Sideshow this piece could have and should have been spectacular. Instead, I am saddened and disappointed.

Let us know if they send a reply saying to sledgehammer the thing.

"The statue looks like a toy, without movement or life..." More proof that people see things differently. Using this posted photo for a comparison, I'd say one of these Godzillas does indeed look like a toy, without movement or life, while the other looks like a full-fledged statue with strong presence and emotion packed into its stance, including a dramatically raised head that seems to be bellowing operatically. I'll leave it up to the fair-minded observer to decide which of these more closely resembles a static toy or action figure, and which one conveys the aura of a statue with high emotion and movement in its stance.View attachment 198022

The maquette definitely displays high emotion and movement. It's just a shame it looks like an oversized dusty plastic grey moneybox that conveys high emotion and movement lol. Look at the difference in the colouring of these two side by side. Aside from size, I know which more closely resembles the film.

Man, I do really love the pose, but this paint app. is suffocating what I feel is a beautiful sculpt.

I can't even get over how flat the face looks. $800 and that's how it ends up?

The paint kills a pose that can be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Only place I am finding any of the X-Plus right now is eBay. Seeing a few for around $260-270 shipped. That's at least as good as BBTS. Hoping the new statues will be up for PO somewhat soon. I'd love to see the price and specs.

With that said, now that some of you have this maquette, is anyone planning to get a repaint?

I'm thinking about it. Meeting a long-time modeler tomorrow to discuss. Stripping an expensive piece like this and repaint is pretty crazy. Exciting thought, as this could look good, but always a risk.

Back