Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the TTM-20 body swap last night. Very pleased with the results. Now he is exactly 13.5" tall. Blissy!!!
5a8avybe.jpg

zy7a9ana.jpg

Got my new camera today and Vader was first to be photographed.

Absolutely stellar. I don't really think saying any more is needed. :lecture

My Vader is in the house. Sitting here on the floor a few feet away from me, but I haven't even opened the box, only the shipper. Might have to wait a few hours because it's almost time to go pick up my daughter from school. Also picked up my first SSC Stormy today (from a nice board member who messaged me a couple of weeks ago). He'll be posed elsewhere though, as Vader is headed for a duel on Bespin.

Finally! A leaked image from the New Star Wars movie! Looks like either Leia or Luke have fallen to the dark side! While the Emperor watches from her throne!

article-0-0136AECF00000578-698_468x341.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've opened the box and right now I'm visually inspecting before taking off the top plastic shell.

1. The plastic film/bag over the left tusk has a hole in it, the same as many others have shown. The plastic shell in that area is not crushed and can not touch the tusks. It may be possible for Vader to move around in there. The head it tilted a bit to his left side, so if he moves, that tusk would probably hit the plastic shell.

2. Both tusks are in still place.

3. Measured 13 7/8" - 14" from head to toe - this is through the top shell, before unpacking. When I get him out I can be more precise.

4. Removed the top plastic shell - plastic film came up with it. There are many spots on the plastic film that are scratched/dinged from Vader touching them. At $250+ this figure should have been packed in FOAM like Hot Toys, not plastic.

5. It's way more difficult that it needs to be to remove part like the saber hilt from the plastic. Again, it should have been packed in soft foam. Plastic looks and feels CHEAP.

Developing.

Last edited:
I did the TTM-20 body swap last night. Very pleased with the results. Now he is exactly 13.5" tall. Blissy!!!
Hmm, a TTM20 body swap is tempting. Will wait for more pics... Like that 13.5" height, though!

I've opened the box and right now I'm visually inspecting before taking off the top plastic shell.

1. The plastic film/bag over the left tusk has a hole in it, the same as many others have shown. The plastic shell in that area is not crushed and can not touch the tusks. It may be possible for Vader to move around in there. The head it tilted a bit to his left side, so if he moves, that tusk would probably hit the plastic shell.

2. Both tusks are in still place.

3. Measured 13 7/8" - 14" from head to toe - this is through the top shell, before unpacking. When I get him out I can be more precise.

4. Removed the top plastic shell - plastic film came up with it. There are many spots on the plastic film that are scratched/dinged from Vader touching them. At $250+ this figure should have been packed in FOAM like Hot Toys, not plastic.

5. It's way more difficult that it needs to be to remove part like the saber hilt from the plastic. Again, it should have been packed in soft foam. Plastic looks and feels CHEAP.

Developing.
Good point about the foam. Probably would've prevented a lot of dings/scratches and held the body more securely. Really like HT's use of the soft foam for normal figures and the hard foam for the heavier ones, like diecast or Hulk, etc.

So I put him away after the last message as I had some things to do. Just got back and walking up the stairs to my office, no lie, I could smell Vader as I got to the top. Walking down the hall smell getting stronger. By the time I got to my office, i'd already got accustomed to it so now I can't really identify the smell anymore. I hope the guys in the factory and packing areas have some decent ventilation and respirators.

Received my replacement belt yesterday and my Vader helmet replacement is due to arrive tomorrow. :yess:

I got my replacement cape yesterday as well. It came in a ziploc bag and stuffed in a box, it came in perfect condition. Finally a great looking Vader on display.

On another note great pics Paramore & Deathasylum !

So I put him away after the last message as I had some things to do. Just got back and walking up the stairs to my office, no lie, I could smell Vader as I got to the top. Walking down the hall smell getting stronger. By the time I got to my office, i'd already got accustomed to it so now I can't really identify the smell anymore. I hope the guys in the factory and packing areas have some decent ventilation and respirators.

Man, Your aren't lying. That smell smacked me in the face when I got him out of his box.

Moment of truth… I'm about to take him out. Let's see what that cape looks like. And dome and…

Measured accurately and he's EXACTLY 14" prior to any adjustments, standing perfectly straight. He needs to come down .75" for scale, but I'll be satisfied if I can get him to 13.5" The suit fabric seems stretchy so I hope to pad out the arms and avoid an expensive (although awesome looking) body swap.

Tusks - OK
Cape - OK
Dome - OK
Extra Helmet - OK
Extra mask - OK
Head Sculpt - OK
Sabers - OK
Chest panel - OK

About to open the battery compartment to remove the plastic film and try the LEDs.

LEDs - OK

He seems VERY easy to get taller, slightly pull out the boots and adjust the shin guards and you can easily have a 14.25" Vader. So far I haven't been able to get him any shorter by adjusting the feet/shins. Don't have time right now to try adjusting anything else, have to get down to the kitchen to make some amazing 4-5 minute Pizzas.

Last edited:
:goodpost:

Excellent pic indeed paramoremcr88. Looks like an alternate reality scene where Vader & Luke killed Palpy (the aftermath)

Also I received Vader, missing tusk, emailed SSC sent 3 pics. But the rep said to send one @ a time.
:slap

Thanks shockwave, glad you like that pic. Sorry to hear yours was missing a tusk, hope Sideshow sort it quickly.

Not sure what was wrong with your old camera :wink1: Fantastic pics as always man :clap Here are a few not even as good, but I try :lol

Thanks, old camera will still be used, but wanted an upgrade for shooting figures and other things. I like your Vaders pose, that's the same as mine's in!

Great shots :clap

:hi5:

Absolutely stellar. I don't really think saying any more is needed. :lecture

Cheers pixel, appreciate it. :duff

Incredible photos bud! What camera did you buy?

Fantastic shots as always para. What DSLR did you pick up? I picked up a 7100 about 2 weeks ago and Vader was the first to be photographed as well.

Also glad to see you got yours without any QC issues.

Many thanks guys, appreciate it. :duff

My Vader did have one QC issue. His helmet is severely scratched in a couple places, but Sideshow are sorting a replacement.

I bought a Nikon D3200 and a macro lens.

Many thanks guys, appreciate it. :duff

My Vader did have one QC issue. His helmet is severely scratched in a couple places, but Sideshow are sorting a replacement.

Great work!

What macro lens is it? 85mm? 105mm?

That's an awesome camera!!! Almost the same one I have. I own the D3100 and bought it 3 years ago. Still going strong so you will not be disappointed. All the vids on my YouTube channel were also shot using this camera so it is great for pictures and videos in HD. Congrats!!

Back