Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except this image is from ROTJ...
View attachment 93482

Plus I don't need an "ESB Vader", I just need the open left hand to pose him like this...

View attachment 93483

I don't see any significant difference between ESB and ROTJ

Off the top of my head, the chest box was different between the two. What we got on this figure in that regard was a merger of the two, so strictly speaking it's neither ESB or ROTJ.

I hate props. And especially any kind of nod to props in 1/6 figures. If they ever release an R2, I don't want a pop-uoff dome to reveal a large cavity inside where a tiny actor can sit.

You hate props? And yet, you are being very particular about the figure's height. I seem to see a little bit of conflict there.

So finally got my vader today from my local shop in Orange County called corner store comics. Non exclusive. Not a single QC issue. Arrived perfect. No scratch no nothing. Very thankful for that. Cape perfect. All tusks. I love this guy. Looks better in person then in pics.

You hate props? And yet, you are being very particular about the figure's height. I seem to see a little bit of conflict there.

Vader the character has a specific height. Vader the character does not have a lightsaber with a tab sticking out to hold a broomstick. C3PO the character is a robot who is made of metal. C3PO the character does not have a man inside a skin made of fiberglass.

Because I'm not into props repros and behind the scenes stuff, a Vader reveal head should look like what we got from Sideshow, not like David Prowse. I want my collectibles to represent what the film makers illusion, what we saw on the screen, not what it took in the real world to create the magic. Vader (and others) are characters, not costumes.

Some people go nuts over Stormtrooper differences from movie to movie - that's all prop/production business. The Empire didn't issue replacement armor for all their troops during the saga. I'm fine with a trooper that looks screen accurate for any of the movies or even if it's an amalgamation if that's what it takes to get best of breed.

I trust the difference is obvious now. :lecture

Last edited:
I opened my vader and he is fantastic, but I noticed there was extra chain included in the packages and it was loose? did anyone else have a loose chain or know where it goes?

Do you have a chain connecting both clips of the cape? If not, that's where the chain goes. If so, then you have an extra. :)

Which is fine, but it means that any figure is gong to be loved by some and hated by others because it doesn't fit "their" personal idealised version of that character. That's inevitable when you take facts out of the equation and substitute them with peoples wishes and dreams.

I like both so generally I'm happy with a mix of idealised, screen accurate and prop accurate. For example on this release I love the prop (and screen) accurate two tone paint job. I love that you can see the back of scarred anakin's head - a mix of prop accurate (helmet) and screen accurate/idealised (the scaring instead of Prowse's hair). I'm ok with the height because it is screen accurate to a lot of scenes and not that bad for others (yes for some it's not good at all e.g. Vader and Boba, but sideshows Boba being too short doesn't help that either). I don't like the prop accurate sabre nub. Overall the good outweighs the bad for me on this one.

I like that many of these pieces closely follow the actual props.... But I agree, the metal nub on the unignited saber bugs me as well.

Vader the character has a specific height. Vader the character does not have a lightsaber with a tab sticking out to hold a broomstick. C3PO the character is a robot who is made of metal. C3PO the character does not have a man inside a skin made of fiberglass.

Because I'm not into props repros and behind the scenes stuff, a Vader reveal head should look like what we got from Sideshow, not like David Prowse. I want my collectibles to represent what the film makers illusion, what we saw on the screen, not what it took in the real world to create the magic. Vader (and others) are characters, not costumes.

Some people go nuts over Stormtrooper differences from movie to movie - that's all prop/production business. The Empire didn't issue replacement armor for all their troops during the saga. I'm fine with a trooper that looks screen accurate for any of the movies or even if it's an amalgamation if that's what it takes to get best of breed.

But how do you know how tall the character is? How do you know any of this stuff if not for the actual props used for the films. One of the things about the prop connection that these figures have goes to the Leia in Boushh disguise: 1138 is scrawled on the side of the helmet. This was a revelation to many fans of the films as the number 1138 is most if not all of Lucas's movies. These details might be hard or impossible to spot on film, but that does not mean they are not there.

This whole discussion is too close to cgi vs. real-life models for me, which is a subject I am rather passionate about. (so forgive me if I come across as rude)

Truthfully it is all a middle ground, as yes, including David Prowse would be going a bit too far, but without the props for reference, how do you know how it looks. I imagine many die hard fans would have been furious if prop details were left out. If you look at a movie so many times, you tend to start noticing the details. Sometimes these prop details lead to very important looks for the character. All details that make sense in universe for me, should be included. The different color panels could make since for the same reason they did so for the film: it pops. Vader is not a subtle character, so he could have that to be more noticeable, and visually imposing. Almost all prop details can have in universe reasoning. If you doubt me, look at the DK books from several years ago; they say what each little nob on a blaster or lightsaber is for.

A good point for Vader would be the comparison between OT Vader and ROTS Vader. For ROTS, they noticed the original mask and helmet was asymmetrical, so they duplicated the side they liked to make it perfectly symmetrical. They then painted it all black and sharpened the all of the edges, and shined the whole thing up to be as clean and "perfect" as possible. But I can't help looking at the ROTS Vader, and seeing it off somehow. It just looks too different to me, and that difference is rather jarring. So, I pose which is better: the ROTS Vader with the perfect symmetrical black details, or the OT Vader with all of its prop flaws?

But how do you know how tall the character is?

In relation to other characters? Published specs from Lucasfilm? My eyes? I'm not sure what you're trying to debate here. I gave my opinion and you're not gong to change it. Prop chancing is not my interest at all and I find it a complete waste of time.

Leia in Boushh disguise: 1138 is scrawled on the side of the helmet.

Totally uninteresting to me. I could not care any less about this.

If you honestly didn't understand what I wrote regarding props then maybe I could shave been more clear. But you're barking up the wrong tree here. I don't care about props, I care about what the props were meant to create. Props can made of Papier-mâché or fiberglass when they're supposed to represent steel, stone or whatever. I want my collectible modeled as the final product, not what was used to build the prop. A prop collector would want the opposite. I'm not a prop collector.

That's the whole point of a movie isn't it?

It's a joke, more or less. (As it is a line of dialogue from the film) Just trying to gauge things of detail by sight can be tricky often times and therefore can be subjective. Which is kind of to point with what you said earlier idealized dreams and personal opinion. In a thing such as mass production, it is always a safe bet to go with the facts then a personal opinion.

The neck piece on mine is a son of a ***** to get off. I tried pliers and it didn't budge. I stopped and ended up not taking it off. Anyone else have this problem?

Curved needle nose, used them to pry. A pry tool in plasticized metal or rigid (and strong) plastic might work well and not mar the plug - mine was marred by the fourth time removing it - I cut off that part in the end anyway. Another way might be with two strong pieces of string, cross them under the neck plug to form a cradle and then pull up.

Back