Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys...I just modded my Vader to be shorter but I might have gone a little overboard. What do you think?

157924993_lego-star-wars-darth-vader-mini-figure-set-10212-rare.jpg

:lol

You went a little further than I did. I think mines just about right.

P1151562_zpsdd854785.jpg

I've certainly done more than my share of radical mods and complete scratch-built custom figures.
These days though, I try to focus on quick, simple mods that achieve instant visual improvements. No time for more at present.
Here's my latest quick-fix, for those who might benefit:
On my Vader's belt, the red and black LED wires behind the waist boxes were sticking out against the body, pushing the boxes/belt
away from the body and making the wires visible at the top of the belt. It looked crappy.

Solution: I removed the belt, and found that the wires could be much more closely pressed against the back of the belt and boxes,
with a little superglue gel and a couple minutes of constant squeezing. I didn't glue the actual wires themselves, but rather the black electrical shrink tape wrapped around them, to the back of the boxes and belt. They were already glued on, but in a very clumsy and misplaced fashion.
I repositioned them to be a bit lower on the back side of the belt, and glued them with my fingers tightly squeezing them flat until the glue set.

Now the belt looks perfect; it sits snug against the body and inner robe in a natural way, and not a trace of wire is visible.

Last edited:
I still haven't got my vader I ordered months ago. I bought from my local corner store comics in Orange County and they haven't got there shipment in. Probably will be getting mine from a later batch. You think they would have most of the QC fixed up by the other batches?

The longer I have owned him the more I do not want to mod him at all. Too tall or not he is perfect to me and has a killer presence on the shelf. I really don't care how he looks compared to others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yea same here and I've modded many figures.
He looks great especially on his stand next to Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh so it was your idea!! Thx man! I really like how it turned out. I tried the base in the middle and for me it just sits too high. Plus I like the stairs. If u **** around w vader he will stand fine but took a few min to get sturdy. Picked up another stormy too so I can swap fett in and out.

Yeah I have to take credit for my one good idea! lol.. Im glad that you were able to use it to help with your display. Here are my pics with and without the base. While I like both I really like the extra flair that the base brings to the display. It does sit up high but it doesn't bother me since I don't think there is a problem with Vader being taller than the storm troopers. I did make an adjustment to bring stairs back into the mix. I wasn't sure if the detolf door would close but it fits perfectly.

5p4pcl.jpg

2nukeib.jpg

I still haven't got my vader I ordered months ago. I bought from my local corner store comics in Orange County and they haven't got there shipment in. Probably will be getting mine from a later batch. You think they would have most of the QC fixed up by the other batches?
It's normal for distributors to have to wait until after Sideshow has had the figure for a bit. Hopefully by the time they ship that new batch, the QC issues will have been resolved, but I'd also be sure to inspect the figure before you take it home and make sure you're happy with it. My LCS doesn't allow returns on 1:6, so they tend to make sure the figure's flawless in the first place.

Yeah I have to take credit for my one good idea! lol.. Im glad that you were able to use it to help with your display. Here are my pics with and without the base. While I like both I really like the extra flair that the base brings to the display. It does sit up high but it doesn't bother me since I don't think there is a problem with Vader being taller than the storm troopers. I did make an adjustment to bring stairs back into the mix. I wasn't sure if the detolf door would close but it fits perfectly.

5p4pcl.jpg

2nukeib.jpg

Nice display right there :clap

I switched mine to the ANH suit and its a big difference. The skinny arms aren't necessarily the problem, its the suit tendency to act like spandex. It remines you of skinny jeans in suit form. I took a lot of pics last night, upload coming later.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

A few pictures of my Vader. I am going to run with the pointing for a bit. It feels like it is in motion rather than a pose......"For your sake" or "your a liar and a traitor take him away"..

Also I found my inner robe (left side) wrinkly. A few sharp creases here and there (thats why I have not done full body shot yet). Any solutions? Ironing tips?

Thanks

How's the bunchy crotch with the ANH suit?

I'm glad you asked. After taking the suit off the ROTJ version and getting a good look at it I'm convinced the pants version sewn on backwards. If you can't tell from a picture it becomes obvious in hand.

So to answer your question, the ANH suit is fine, it was never an issue with that suit.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Back