Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of my replacement helmet with scuffs. Would you guys accept this?

20140206_070932b.jpg

20140206_071008b.jpg

Damn now I have to worry about getting a scuffed helmet as a replacement. That is if they finally respond to the claim I submitted 2 days ago. This is why I was so hesitant to buy another SSC figure. It's almost certain there will be QC issues.

They told me yesterday they are expecting more parts to come in still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received my replacement helmet today and it was noticable scuffed up but I like to take care of my vehicles and have some plastic swirl and scratch remover. I did about 3 minutes worth of polishing and now it's perfect.

So I was switching the helmet for the reveal sculpt. I was pulling the helmet off and it slipped out of my hands, flew across the room and skipped across the floor! Amazingly the helmet was not scuffed or broken, but a tusk was gone! A half hour search later I found it, man those buggers are small! Nothing some crazy glue couldn't fix! :panic:

I received my replacement helmet today and it was noticable scuffed up but I like to take care of my vehicles and have some plastic swirl and scratch remover. I did about 3 minutes worth of polishing and now it's perfect.

Plastic swirl and scratch remover!?! Sounds interesting! Can you point me to an example product! Thanks!

Fear realized: they've burned through all their good replacements and now have to use replaced parts.
Figure's still in production, so anyone buying now is going to be fine. Unfortunate if it takes a couple tries to get it right, though. Later in the run I think it's something I'd only pick-up from a LCS, where I could view it in-hand before buying.

I had the twin scuff marks on the extra display helmet's forehead, and a loose breathing tube next to Anakin's lips that I couldn't fix myself.
SS sent me a PERFECT replacement for the helmet, with a face mask that I didn't need and didn't ask for. They didn't address the loose breathing tube on the head reveal; I'm sure it was just a mistake. I contacted them, and they're sending me a new head reveal immediately.

They have always been good to me, and I don't blame anyone or get annoyed at these common errors, considering the enormous task they have bitten off for themselves. That said, I still hope they send me a free figure care kit with the head sculpt...

The stuff i used is made by Meguiars and is called Scratch X.

Interesting, I used to buy quite a bit of Meguiars stuff for my car! Never occurred to me to use for a toy.

So I'm assuming it works the same way by adding some sort of clear layer over the black paint to mask the scuff?

I know these technically don't belong here, but since he's kind of a bastard (get it) hybrid with no home that uses some of the parts from the new figure, I just wanted to share. :) Really impressed with the quality of the SSC components, especially the chest and belt boxes!

Not 100% sure how it works, i think it has a very mild abrasive. Somebody on here used toothpaste to fix theirs so I figured i could not make it worse by trying.

Not 100% sure how it works, i think it has a very mild abrasive. Somebody on here used toothpaste to fix theirs so I figured i could not make it worse by trying.

I'm worried about the "mild abrasive" that you mention and he mentioned before with the toothpaste! Doesnt that mean the black paint could be scratched off too?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm coming across as a noob with all the questions on polishing. I used Meguiars products to wash really, not polish.....

I'm worried about the "mild abrasive" that you mention and he mentioned before with the toothpaste! Doesnt that mean the black paint could be scratched off too?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm coming across as a noob with all the questions on polishing. I used Meguiars products to wash really, not polish.....

No problem, I'm no expert on how it works (maybe someone else one here is) but I can tell you my helmet looked like crap from a couple feet away. Now close up under bright light it looks flawless, a nice shiny black.

No problem, I'm no expert on how it works (maybe someone else one here is) but I can tell you my helmet looked like crap from a couple feet away. Now close up under bright light it looks flawless, a nice shiny black.

So you applied it just like for a car right? Rub some in with a soft cloth, leave to dry, and then buff off with cloth?

Guys: This is what I have always used and it works like magic to remove fine scratches, smudges and scuffs from any plastic surface or other types of surfaces, painted or unpainted. It's called NOVUS scratch remover.

I would use #2, the red bottle which removes fine scratches, for this instance. I've polished small helmets (First sideshow vader) and the results are fantastic. I first learned of these from a 6 inch action figure customizer guy like 8 years ago and since, I've always had this kit. I remember I was even taking the scuffs off from the plastic cases of the toy biz marvel legends figures' packages. They would turn the surface flawless, smooth and shiny. You can also just buy #2 by itself without getting the other two.

I know sideshow should ultimately solve your problem, but this is something you should have for future use from scratches occurring by accident. You never know. Highly recommended.

Here's a link where to get them, although other places also have them. Just look for the better deal.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/novus-plastic-polish-2-fine-scratch-remover-8-oz-bottle/448PN7030.html
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/novus-plastic-polish-kit-plastic-polish-and-scratch-remover-8-oz/448PN7100.html

Last edited:
Back