Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised you didn't know about the checkered pattern on the Vader helmet, piper.

I like it, and prefer it. That little peg on the saber is lame though. The ANH one is better.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That sucks Pixel. At least they will send out a replacement for the defect. I got lucky on the figure itself. The helmet stand is crooked but that was the only problem for mine

I like the checkered pattern, because it gives the same visual effect to the naked eye that it gave the camera during filming. It adds a bit of contrast between the angled facets of the mask. If you look at the mask from 5 or 6 inches away, sure- it's going to be too obvious. For me, the average viewing distance is about 18 inches. I like the effect it has, and my inner nerd likes the fact that the paint scheme was intentionally reproduced from the screen prop mask.

I'm surprised you didn't know about the checkered pattern on the Vader helmet, piper.

I had no idea. It works on screen precisely how they intended it - the differences just seem like reflections of light. I noticed one panel first on the figure so that it was just missing paint. When I noticed it on other parts, I had a suspicion it might have been intentional, but still wasn't sure.

This isn't a flaw it's an intentional paint scheme, so you don't like weathering either? Get an airbrush out and give it a blast of black

I didn't mean the paint scheme as a flaw necessarily. In that case it's a prop-specific compromise intended for film production purposes. A flaw might be a crooked black band on a trooper's helmet. But again alone the lines of production-specific elements, I don't care about special marks on Stormtrooper armor parts intended for the actors to know which was the right and left pieces. The stem on the saber is a stellar example of bad judgement in producing this product. I wouldn't want an R2 to have a removable dome with space inside to fit an actor, and I wouldn't want a 3PO figure that was composed of a suit over top of a human figure.

Last edited:
When I read PP's posts I often come away with the impression that, as far as my figure collecting goes, I am easily pleased.

I definitely agree with him on the prop replication thing. I don't want thumbprints in Stormtrooper armour or lightsaber hilts as they looked before visual effects, etc. I have a feeling Vader's mask won't bother me at all, but for the most part, just make it look as we were meant to see it on screen and don't get too doggone cute with it.

When you see close ups of the ANH helmet its crazy to see how ****ed up it is. I really didn't notice until a fee years ago. Its got nicks and scratches on it and what even looked to be paint brush strokes. I'm not positive on that last one buts that's what it looks like.

When you see close ups of the ANH helmet its crazy to see how ****ed up it is. I really didn't notice until a fee years ago. Its got nicks and scratches on it and what even looked to be paint brush strokes. I'm not positive on that last one buts that's what it looks like.

Yeah I think there was brush stokes too.

in the movie? or the SSC figure? I just watched the movie on Blu the other day and yep his helmet is ****ed up.

Totally believable from a production perspective. That thing was huge, and the first weapon of its kind. Lots of room for bugs that would need to be worked out on the first pass. (Also, who knows how many engineers were force-choked to death during the process, necessitating the breaking-in of a fresh team...hey, it could happen...) By the time they got around to building a second, the engineering was nailed. Development wasn't an issue anymore. They basically just had to build the thing.

Also, I don't think it was ever established exactly when they began construction on the Death Star II. For all we know, it could have been well underway during the events of ANH.

It's implied it was begun after ANH in the opening crawl of ROTJ.

Little does Luke know that the
GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly
begun construction on a new
armored space station even
more powerful than the first
dreaded Death Star.

The two-tone paint scheme on Vader's mask is essential if you want your figure to look like what you see on screen. If they hadn't done the two-tone paint, it would have been like them not painting eyebrows onto a human character. An all black Vader mask just looks wrong and I'm glad that Sideshow didn't screw it up.

I had no idea. It works on screen precisely how they intended it - the differences just seem like reflections of light. I noticed one panel first on the figure so that it was just missing paint. When I noticed it on other parts, I had a suspicion it might have been intentional, but still wasn't sure.

I didn't mean the paint scheme as a flaw necessarily. In that case it's a prop-specific compromise intended for film production purposes. A flaw might be a crooked black band on a trooper's helmet. But again alone the lines of production-specific elements, I don't care about special marks on Stormtrooper armor parts intended for the actors to know which was the right and left pieces. The stem on the saber is a stellar example of bad judgement in producing this product. I wouldn't want an R2 to have a removable dome with space inside to fit an actor, and I wouldn't want a 3PO figure that was composed of a suit over top of a human figure.

I've been toying with mine for a few days now and I am just loving it! I wore down all the batteries pretty quickly, and had a hell of a time finding new ones for the chest rig! I left them on all night, and they're still going strong!
i wish there was an attachment on the helmet display for the Anakin head, but that's my only gripe. None of the other issues brought up are bothering me, and he showed up with perfect QC.
ROTJ Vader was the last in my triad of SW Grails, which included Palpy and Jabba on their respective thrones. Unless sideshow does the classic Rebo Band, I think I'm safely done with this line. It's a little weird to acknowledge that after all these years. I can still remember using the prototype pics of Jedi Luke as my desktop wallpaper, I was so excited! In the end, of all the SW figures that I've had and stored or sold, the ones in the display cabinet are the above three, Old Ben, and Hammerhead.

I received my Vader 5 days ago (Jan 29).

I immediately emailed Sideshow after discovering a broken left tusk, scuffed display dome and some very dodgy wiring on his belt.

After 3 days I received no reply.

I emailed them again.

24 hours later.

Still no reply.

Emailed them again last night.

Still no reply.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Are they honestly so swamped with emails regarding defective items that they can't reply to me?

My last email was addressed to their "exchange" address, their "customer service" address and to Dawn, who seems to deal with all the orders.

Surely someone will get back to me soon...

Back