Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( ... I am yet to see a good light up sabre and i think with the kind of wait it had, they would have really made something kewl. It's definitely possible not sure why they don't make it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:( ... I am yet to see a good light up sabre and i think with the kind of wait it had, they would have really made something kewl. It's definitely possible not sure why they don't make it!

I am sure it has to do with price point. Plus I think they realize that most of us don't want it. :lol

I am sure it has to do with price point. Plus I think they realize that most of us don't want it. :lol

:( so we are ok with a red piece of plastic depicting a sabre :( which was the coolest part for those times. :( beats me! As for cost its 250 odd... So donno...

Yep. Most of us don't want it. Weird I guess. But true. It's a gimmik that would get tried once and then never looked at again. For the amount of $$$ that would add to the final price it just wouldn't be worth it.

The best looking lit sabers are achieved by using cold cathode tubes. The drawback is that it looks like crap when it's not lit - and doesn't look very good/convincing in daylight - it needs low ambient light to really display well. And that's not to mention the power requirements and high voltage. Not likely something most people will want, therefore not something Sideshow would invest in.

So the alternative for the best all-around and good looking figure? No lit sabers.

I'll be adding cold cathode to mine though. :)

The best looking lit sabers are achieved by using cold cathode tubes. The drawback is that it looks like crap when it's not lit - and doesn't look very good/convincing in daylight - it needs low ambient light to really display well. And that's not to mention the power requirements and high voltage. Not likely something most people will want, therefore not something Sideshow would invest in.

So the alternative for the best all-around and good looking figure? No lit sabers.

I'll be adding cold cathode to mine though. :)

Hmm...

1) Why can't they insert lights at both ends and see how it looks? ...
2) As for not looking good in daylight or when not lit, extra saber can be provided for that part.
3) I dont think that piece of plastic cost anything to manufacture. All i am saying is they can try some options, if it looks bad a cheap "current option" can always be provided as an extra... It would increase the cost of a 250 dollar figure by may be a buck or so...

I dont mean to create a racket but i think it would be awesome to have a lighted sabre, they even light the hands of those iron man creatures which i care two hoots for :( ...

But you are creating a bit of a run-around by being both naive and insulting of Sideshow who you assume doesn't know better than you.

Why do you think it takes them two+ years to release a figure? It's called design and development. This is true for any industry and for any product. What you see in the end is the result of multiple iterations, multiple failed concepts and experiments. They do what they do for a reason. Nothing hits the market without a reason. And for a company like Sideshow that is well established at the top of their game, they're always trying something new. If something's not available at market it can be for many reasons.

1. "Light at both ends - to see how it looks." Both ends of what? A tube? A plastic rod? It will look like garbage on both counts. Light travels ONLY in a straight line and is not visible from the side unless something scatters the beam. Seriously, what you're writing is grade-school. Go try it. But let me assure you that the folks designing product at Sideshow are not in grade school and they already know this.

2. Extra saber - So now you want customers to swap sabers twice per day?

3. Doesn't cost anything: Hold on a second…. Ok, I'm back from laughing. Everything costs something. It costs to manufacture, it costs to pack and it costs to ship. Nothing, and I do mean absolutely NOTHING in this world is free. Why on earth would anyone (not just Sideshow) ship something they thought looked bad or cheap as an option. Exactly who would that make happy? Come on, get serious. This is just silly. If you want to make some decent suggestions, figure out real ways to accomplish what you'll be proposing first.

Incidentally, I can think of a few ways to accomplish a lit saber on a production level, overcoming a dozen or so problems I didn't even mention the first time. Maybe even overcoming the problems I mentioned in my first post. But that requires a lot more custom manufacturing and then suddenly a $250 figure becomes a $500 figure to keep the same kind of margin, never mind development costs. And I'm not naive to think that overcoming these problems wouldn't lead to other compromises and additional problems to solve. In the end it would require time and money. Like everything. And the result? Less people buying the figure due to higher costs and very likely much lower ROI. Which leads to the conclusion… Why bother?

You know how some things aren't worth doing unless you do them right? Well, some things just aren't worth doing.

Last edited:
But you are creating a bit of a run-around by being both naive and insulting of Sideshow who you assume doesn't know better than you.

Why do you think it takes them two+ years to release a figure? It's called design and development. This is true for any industry and for any product. What you see in the end is the result of multiple iterations, multiple failed concepts and experiments. They do what they do for a reason. Nothing hits the market without a reason. And for a company like Sideshow that is well established at the top of their game, they're always trying something new. If something's not available at market it can be for many reasons.

1. "Light at both ends - to see how it looks." Both ends of what? A tube? A plastic rod? It will look like garbage on both counts. Light travels ONLY in a straight line and is not visible from the side unless something scatters the beam. Seriously, what you're writing is grade-school. Go try it. But let me assure you that the folks designing product at Sideshow are not in grade school and they already know this.

3. Doesn't cost anything: Hold on a second…. Ok, I'm back from laughing. Everything costs something. It costs to manufacture, it costs to pack and it costs to ship. Nothing, and I do mean absolutely NOTHING in this world is free. Why on earth would anyone (not just Sideshow) ship something they thought looked bad or cheap as an option. Exactly who would that make happy? Come on, get serious. This is just silly. If you want to make some decent suggestions, figure out real ways to accomplish what you'll be proposing first.

Incidentally, I can think of a few ways to accomplish a lit saber on a production level, overcoming a dozen or so problems I didn't even mention the first time. Maybe even overcoming the problems I mentioned in my first post. But that requires a lot more custom manufacturing and then suddenly a $250 figure becomes a $500 figure to keep the same kind of margin, never mind development costs. And I'm not naive to think that overcoming these problems wouldn't lead to other compromises and additional problems to solve. In the end it would require time and money. Like everything. And the result? Less people buying the figure due to higher costs and very likely much lower ROI. Which leads to the conclusion… Why bother?

You know how some things aren't worth doing unless you do them right? Well, some things just aren't worth doing.

Those are a lot of words, from a Tool.

Let us know when you invent the wheel. And Fire.

Though people may not like the style of delivery, Piper is actually right regarding the R+D+manufacture+packing+mark-up+shipping factors.

Sometimes things just cannot be done anywhere as cheaply as we, as collectors, would like them to be.

On the other hand, I am not mad keen on resorting to insults nor ignoring fellow Freak's posts just because reading two or three small paragraphs seems like too much hard work, that's all kinds of dismissive and just plain rude.

People are entitled to agree or disagree, free country, but let's keep it civil, eh?

I like the light up saber SS gave Obiwan and think it looks pretty kewl. But I only messed with it for a couple days after getting the figure and haven't turned it on since.

Extra cost from including a mass produced cold cathode would not be worth it and just something to jack up the initial cost of the figure even more.

So would changing it out with a regular saber for "daytime' lighting. :lol

Though people may not like the style of delivery, Piper is actually right regarding the R+D+manufacture+packing+mark-up+shipping factors.

Sometimes things just cannot be done anywhere as cheaply as we, as collectors, would like them to be.

On the other hand, I am not mad keen on resorting to insults nor ignoring fellow Freak's posts just because reading two or three small paragraphs seems like too much hard work, that's all kinds of dismissive and just plain rude.

People are entitled to agree or disagree, free country, but let's keep it civil, eh?
Yeah, I was going to post something similar. A lot of people seem to take pride in their ability to not bother reading on this forum, for some reason.

Anyway, long and short of it is if you find a light-up sabre essential, go buy a cold cathode aftermarket. Majority of collectors just don't care to have it included with the figure.

If hot toys can create a well sculpted $250 retail dx figure with a 4led light up base and multiple parts

Then sideshow should be able to do the same...maybe they have to hire even better sculptors or engineers to design, but it doesn't mean the improvements mean it'd be super expensive.

In other words, it's been done before...iron man figures are terribly complex with all that armor that has to hinge and fit together and led light up parts.. for sideshow the real challenge with vader is that the look is so distinct, they've got to get it looking right with the right proportions...no complex hinges or hydraulic dampers on his armour.

It can be done, but are they willing to go through the trouble with all their other projects in development, considering the staff is not huge?

Last edited:
Ahhhh. It's good to hear a rational rebuttal to a carefully constructed argument. Replies like "You're a dumb-dumb" and "you write too many words" can get tiresome (unless they are done right). :hi5:

If hot toys can create a well sculpted $250 retail dx figure with a 4led light up base and multiple parts

Then sideshow should be able to do the same...maybe they have to hire even better sculptors or engineers to design, but it doesn't mean the improvements mean it'd be super expensive.

In other words, it's been done before...iron man figures are terribly complex with all that armor that has to hinge and fit together and led light up parts.. for sideshow the real challenge with vader is that the look is so distinct, they've got to get it looking right with the right proportions...no complex hinges or hydraulic dampers on his armour.

It can be done, but are they willing to go through the trouble with all their other projects in development, considering the staff is not huge?

Ahhhh. It's good to hear a rational rebuttal to a carefully constructed argument. Replies like "You're a dumb-dumb" and "you write too many words" can get tiresome (unless they are done right). :hi5:

doc01.png

No real interest in a light up saber. Funny sitting on my couch looking at my DX Luke and liking how they did the saber. At many angles it looks lit with how my lighting hits it. Painted lighted effects can look very good too.

Back