Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not about competition the way "in the running" implies in your comment. I'm not saying that Hot Toys won't be allowed to make any more SW..
I wasn't actually implying that there would / should be a rivalry between them of any kind.. & I didn't think you were saying no more SW. I was actually referring to HT simply getting a chance to make a kickaiss Vader. :)

There has been not a single SW item in any of the collected shots/info. Their initial schedule for release has already been blown with no signs of an upcoming announcement* of any kind. IMO, things look to be pointing down instead of up.
Again - duly noted.. but what their ACTUAL plans are.. remains to be seen.

As you say, we can only speculate. :)

And what's wrong with that?
Because it doesn't paint the entire picture! :gah: :lol

Right. And they've all sold out of a number of other Hot Toys licenses at a much quicker rate.
..& how do you know that? Got all the paperwork handy have you? :lol

For all we know Hot Toys may be waiting until 2015* to see what the franchise revival brings to the table. One thing's for certain, you can expect a lot more Iron Man and other Avengers characters before any SW from Hot Toys*.

* Assuming the Vader we're all looking at now doesn't turn out to be a Hot Toys/Sideshow collaboration itself. ;)
Could well be.. :wink1:

Last edited:
I agree about the inconsistencies on this Vader which brings it down several notches from being movie accurate. Couple that with Sideshow now entering HT pricing levels with this piece and if history holds true, the body will probably still have loose joints and the paint apps will not be up to par with HT. I think this figure will be a pass until in hand pics and reviews prove to me that it is worthy of a purchase.

Personally, I think these proto pics are making it very hard to actually see what is an issue and what's not? They look patch worked together and over photoshopped. It's very hard to tell what this will look like in reality from these pics. But at the moment all sorts of issues are apparent. Some of which may not be issues at all.

Lets all get along, shall we? We all LOVE this character, don't we. And I get it, $250 is, really, a LOT, don't kid yourselves, so yes, we are looking at these pics with great interest and want him to look the best he can for that money.

That said, I pose a question: What happened to the ESB meditation chamber mask pictured here:
Vader_Snapshotsa.jpg

Notice its missing the lower part of the mask, as it did in ESB when he was unmasked. I'm wondering if SS has done a 180 and figured on releasing this ROTJ version of Vader only? I don't really think this is an ESB hybrid anymore? That way they can do an ESB version later, using the mask pictured here.

What do you all think?

Please don't argue! :1-1:

Last edited:
What happened to the ESB meditation chamber mask

Am I missing something? That unpainted cast looks kinda like (exactly like) the painted versions in all the current press shots. Dome and mask.

Also I wonder if we are still getting the severed hand WITH the ex. severed stump?

According to Sideshow, that's a yes: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/experie...e-figure/?ref=home_dev-blog#wp-prettyPhoto/6/

Sideshow Collectibles Website said:
The Sideshow Exclusive version of the Darth Vader Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure will feature an additional swap out of Darth Vader’s severed gauntlet and hand

Emphasis added.

Am I missing something? That unpainted cast looks kinda like (exactly like) the painted versions in all the current press shots. Dome and mask.

Notice its missing the lower part of the mask, as it did in ESB when he was unmasked.

Brinn? Are you talking about how the neck seal connects with the facemask are different from ESB to ROTJ? Like the ridge is on the mask on one, but on the neck seal on the other?

Do you mean the bit his fingers are gripping in this image?

DarthVaderDeluxeSixthScale.jpg

Which you can clearly see here in this press shot with the nubs/clips to connect to the bottom part of the mask?

100076_press12.jpg

Yeah, I'm trying to find pics but can't so I'll do my best. In ROTJ, like the SS 1:6 photos have this reveal face mask, where Vader is holding the mask in the above pic:
images

The "v" lines that follow Vader's jaw are both there, converging to a tip in the front of the mask where the 'mouth triangle' is.

In the ESB the bottom of the mask is where the 'v' line starts, in red, like in this pic:

images

With the green line showing where the ROTJ mask ends.

Seen here, look closely:
images

6287959e.jpg

that last pic really shows just how big a meditation chamber would be if it were in 1/6th scale..............:panic:

twice the size of yodas hut if not more perhaps?

Yeah, none of the reveal pictures have the ESB design... maybe they did scrap that.

I am starting to think maybe it was a design mistake. It would have been nice to have a THIRD head with the partial reveal. Oh well. Maybe they are saving that as an accessory for the meditation chamber. :panic:

I'm really only seeing a ROTJ Vader here. No real ESB 'tells', you know? I'm thinking they can easily do an ESB Vader later, and why WOULDN'T they?

And, this Vader helmet works, it seems. Didn't they originally say they would never do functional helmets?

I'm jus hoping for an ESB Vader later. I was going to get two hybrid Vaders; one for ESB and one for ROTJ, but I'll get this one, mistakes and all, and call it my ROTJ Vader. If they never do an ESB I'll grab another one and mod it to ESB later.

And yes, I hope they fix the Republic symbol and Shaw likeness, but I did keep a Hasbro reveal figure just in case....

But for $250 I shouldn't have to....

:monkey3

Lets all get along, shall we? We all LOVE this character, don't we. And I get it, $250 is, really, a LOT, don't kid yourselves, so yes, we are looking at these pics with great interest and want him to look the best he can for that money.

That said, I pose a question: What happened to the ESB meditation chamber mask pictured here:
Vader_Snapshotsa.jpg

Notice its missing the lower part of the mask, as it did in ESB when he was unmasked. I'm wondering if SS has done a 180 and figured on releasing this ROTJ version of Vader only? I don't really think this is an ESB hybrid anymore? That way they can do an ESB version later, using the mask pictured here.

What do you all think?

Please don't argue! :1-1:
Ah, refreshing to hear a voice of reason. I love the unpainted helmet in that pic, maybe that's what's bugging me with the promo pics at the moment. Personally, I'd love either both designs included with this set or a separate ESB version Vader later.

that last pic really shows just how big a meditation chamber would be if it were in 1/6th scale..............:panic:

twice the size of yodas hut if not more perhaps?
Yeah, that's why I don't think a meditation chamber will ever be released. I'd be surprised if Sideshow really does much more in the way of dioramas, actually. Yoda's hut, Dewback and Cantina have yet to sell out, with pretty modest edition sizes for the latter two (think hut might be ongoing... don't recall seeing an edition size for it). Think it would be pretty expensive, too.

Last edited:
Back