Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Awesome pics!

I also took pics of this badass figure today.. gotta say, I preordered HT Maul with speeder, but I don't think they can make this perfect headsculpt, just perfect Maul character in the expression and likeness.. this is the best sideshow 1/6 figure for me. :)

Those are some really great shots! He looks awesome next to HT Anakin there, and I think thats the best futzing job I’ve seen on Anakins hood!

Those are some really great shots! He looks awesome next to HT Anakin there, and I think thats the best futzing job I’ve seen on Anakins hood!

Thank you so much for the kind words and appreciation! :)
Yeah he's on par with Hot Toys figures, and if HT doesn't revise the Maul sculpt, this one will be superior in terms of headsculpt, IMHO.

Thank you so much for the kind words and appreciation! :)
Yeah he's on par with Hot Toys figures, and if HT doesn't revise the Maul sculpt, this one will be superior in terms of headsculpt, IMHO.

Very impressive pics! I still super love this figure at the same time eagerly awaiting HT offering. I’m a huge sucker for the eye rolling and on 2 sculpts w/the cloak and LED, it will be THE Maul I display. Even though I have my original Maul cloak, I really wish they had included the cloak with Naboo Maul. Things like that has really soured me in SS releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very impressive pics! I still super love this figure at the same time eagerly awaiting HT offering. I’m a huge sucker for the eye rolling and on 2 sculpts w/the cloak and LED, it will be THE Maul I display. Even though I have my original Maul cloak, I really wish they had included the cloak with Naboo Maul. Things like that has really soured me in SS releases.

Thank you!!

Yes, I definitely agree with you.
For me, both has their own quality. It's just a shame that Hot Toys missed the point that Maul doesn't need a snarl-ish expression to intimidate his opponents. Sideshow sculpt managed to get it right, by giving him an intense stare, a cold intimidating sharp face.
All I need for this Maul is the cloak, thats all.

But yes, I am also eager to have HT Maul with the movable eyes, cloak, LED, speeder, light up double saber. Even though it missed the mark, I kinda like the snarly expression for battle pose (I will use the SS one for the intimidating pose with cloak), but HT's screaming Maul sculpt is just wrong for me. Didn't get the likeness and looks weird.

I was planning to just keep the SS headsculpt to use with my Hot Toys Maul figure (hoping the neck plug will fit or I'll just have to mod it), but then after I get the SS Maul, the body is not bad at all that I decided to keep the whole thing anyways. It's one of the best Sideshow 1/6th that I have. :)

Thank you!!

Yes, I definitely agree with you.
For me, both has their own quality. It's just a shame that Hot Toys missed the point that Maul doesn't need a snarl-ish expression to intimidate his opponents. Sideshow sculpt managed to get it right, by giving him an intense stare, a cold intimidating sharp face.
All I need for this Maul is the cloak, thats all.

But yes, I am also eager to have HT Maul with the movable eyes, cloak, LED, speeder, light up double saber. Even though it missed the mark, I kinda like the snarly expression for battle pose (I will use the SS one for the intimidating pose with cloak), but HT's screaming Maul sculpt is just wrong for me. Didn't get the likeness and looks weird.

I was planning to just keep the SS headsculpt to use with my Hot Toys Maul figure (hoping the neck plug will fit or I'll just have to mod it), but then after I get the SS Maul, the body is not bad at all that I decided to keep the whole thing anyways. It's one of the best Sideshow 1/6th that I have. :)

My thoughts exactly

The orange is not film accurate, but on a shelf, I feel like it gives the eyes more pop, they look great and have an intense look them, it remains to be seen whether the more accurate yellow on HT will have the same effect.

Can't decide whether to keep or cancel my preorder - I'll probably keep, the headsculpt looks better in picture than the HT ones - my brother has a very very old Sideshow Darth Vader, that figure lacks a lot compared to current day HT's, and it's much taller than regular 1/6 figures, that's what worried me a bit - but - from the looks of it - this Maul figure seems perfect

I also wonder why they are so expensive on Ebay

Yes, the high eBay prices for this one are unexpected... It must be because people see that the head sculpt will be hard to match. Even for HT. And the only minus is the lack of a cloak.

Can't decide whether to keep or cancel my preorder - I'll probably keep, the headsculpt looks better in picture than the HT ones - my brother has a very very old Sideshow Darth Vader, that figure lacks a lot compared to current day HT's, and it's much taller than regular 1/6 figures, that's what worried me a bit - but - from the looks of it - this Maul figure seems perfect

I had the Sideshow Vader, the original ANH one, and despite the awe of the figure being overall best mast production Vader to date, even then it's flaws were very apparent, it was never a figure that looked amazing until even better came along, the dome was too small from the start, the height over other figures was ridiculous, never needed HT to swoop in to highlight the issues.

Likewise, Sideshow Maul 2.0 is not a perfect figure, it has some flaws outside of lacking accessories, but, they're not very substantial. Short of more film specific horn shapes and yellow in the eyes, the head is near perfection, Hot Toys doesn't belittle it at all, I'd say both should earn equal overall rating, each has issues, different issues from one another, neither being 100% perfect, but ultimately, the appearance of the Sideshow does give off more of a Phantom Menace Maul feel than Hot Toys, it really captures the essence of the character from that film, where Hot Toys looks to have the features of Maul, but doesn't evoke memories from the movie like Sideshow does, at least for me.

I've owned Maul pieces from everyone, Applause, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Hasbro, and can safely say that other than the original Sideshow 1:1 bust, no other piece has drawn me to want it as much as this Maul figure. Based solely on collector photos and Sideshow promo pictures, if I didn't have this yet and was comparing Sideshow to Hot Toys with only the option to get one, I'd go for Sideshow still, this figure has just wowed me with every image, even photographed using the most unflattering of camera technology this figure has just looked stunning, few figures have ever achieved that with me.

Back when this one was released, i bought a few heads from Toy Anxiety. They were expensive, but i had plans for customs that never materialised.
If anyone is after the head for this one, just message me.

I say keep it. When the HT one comes, you can always have the choices, hooded Maul with SS headsculpt, staring down intimidating, or without the cape, in action with the HT headsculpt, fierce and dynamic.

The headsculp is perfect on hand bro !
But it needs to repaint to give more skin texture, sideshow paint is too flat and dove finish..

Here's mine with complete repaint

46a072043d5e334c5748983f45683b79.jpg

The headsculp is perfect on hand bro !
But it needs to repaint to give more skin texture, sideshow paint is too flat and dove finish..

Here's mine with complete repaint

46a072043d5e334c5748983f45683b79.jpg

Sorry. But I don’t see why he would need a repaint. Maybe to be more screen accurate, but he never looked the same anyways... I like it more without the repaint. Less shiny and has a more skin like feel to it. As I see it.

Sorry. But I don’t see why he would need a repaint. Maybe to be more screen accurate, but he never looked the same anyways... I like it more without the repaint. Less shiny and has a more skin like feel to it. As I see it.

No worries bro, it's up to you brother :) IMO when i see at the behind the scene, Raypark's face is painted a bit natural paint not too doft..

Last edited:
The thing that bums me out on all of the maul releases is the fact that the top never really sits on the figure like it sat on Park. You can tell the real material held a lot of weight and actually hung above his belt line.

Back