Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Sideshow just lets quality drop after its made its initial run? Just incredible, what happened to Sideshow?

Well, I got mine direct from Sideshow around like February, but that was like a year after this thing had been out, now we're close to 2 years, I'm shocked they're still making him, i guess trying to get more cash for little work, but the quality shouldn't drop off like this.

I believe Sideshow had him up as preorder recently like they were doing more production, it's so close that my guess is that it's from a later production run and the QC dropped.

I would definitely get a replacement or refund, that is a bad figure, if you get a good one you'll be quite happy.

But they managed to fix the "dog nose" paintjob on the later release, though..

This is mine received yesterday from the new batch from sideshow I’ll post a close up later when I get home AD280034-75A0-47C3-B7AC-FCC057511F99.jpeg

This is mine received yesterday from the new batch from sideshow I’ll post a close up later when I get home View attachment 429754

I think it's the same one with Kaan's HS paintjob, with the fixed dog nose and smaller iris.
Somehow they're fixing the paintjob to me more accurate to Maul. Like the pattern on the bottom lips, aside from the dog nose.

I'm definitely glad I got mine when I did, while the differences are small, the new paint scheme lacks the overall quality I love about my Sideshow Maul, I'd just save for Hot Toys if my only option were this new Sideshow version.

It does match kaan's paint scheme in all the differences.

Batsheva, if you like it better you should trade out with kaan -- solve two people's problems.

I never said I like it better, hahaha. I just said it looks more accurate, but I still prefer mine with the dog nose and all. Somehow it looks more menacing. Probably because of the larger iris.

I actually got the SS Maul relatively late, around a month ago.. only after I feel disappointed with HT's Maul expressions. Luckily I got it brand new from eBay bid, $180, which is much cheaper than ordering it from directly from Sideshow. And apparently it's one of the old batch, so I got the ol paintjob.

I'm definitely glad I got mine when I did, while the differences are small, the new paint scheme lacks the overall quality I love about my Sideshow Maul, I'd just save for Hot Toys if my only option were this new Sideshow version.

Yep, exactly what I feel and I am planning to do. :)

I got mine thru Sideshow, it was just shipped a week ago, it was a preorder

When I first checked the figure, the mouth part really disappointed me, then I checked the promo pictures and it was a different paint and texture entirely

It's not a dislikeable figure, but instead of the anger in the original paint, it has a more sort of a 'calm concentration' appearance, doesn't fit Maul (my last figure was HT Training Armor Wonder Woman, from that unboxing experience to this, instead of a $200 figure, It initially felt like a $40 figure)

I'll try to share some pictures under different lighting tomorrow, so we can reach a verdict

So Sideshow just lets quality drop after its made its initial run? Just incredible, what happened to Sideshow?

They are for for the most part just a middle man nowadays. They know their days as a maker are numbered.. just going through the motions in that Dept nowadays for whatever reason..

They are for for the most part just a middle man nowadays. They know their days as a maker are numbered.. just going through the motions in that Dept nowadays for whatever reason..

To keep their limited control of the Star Wars license I guess... making what? 4-5 Star Wars 1/6th a year as per requirement?

2+ilB3BBSK2KQQ1eDP0LFA.jpg
cff7Y7YKTvyTiIhgGC9JEA.jpg
kmG5SmMFS6+HKezYHsMi8w.jpg
hN4NrgMrSya4xXqKne2U8A.jpg

Here are mine, apologies if the photos render sideways again, from the looks of it, consistent with Jaymig926's

Which one did you get? The exclusive or the regular? There may be a difference in paint between the two or like everyone else has said just the new batch with QC gone by the wayside.

Based on the photo shared by another user, I would definitely say that for whatever the reason, the latest production run is turning out a new paint scheme than the earlier releases and it’s up to the buyer if you’re ok with it or not, it doesn’t seem to be a defect and it is lousy on Sideshows part to not deliver a product consistent with their advertisements, because most of the product page photos now are a production sample and not the prototype, mine looks just like it, as did everyone else’s that received one prior to the past few months.

If you don’t like it, you can ask for a return, I’d imagine a replacement wouldn’t even be offered since this isn’t a defect and likely it would come from the same production and look the same anyway. That or see if anyone has an older one and would be interested in a trade.

Hmm, from those new photos, maybe this is just me, but somehow I see that the sculpt itself is a bit softer than the old batch. I didn't see the nose wrinkles (the wrinkles that are on the sides of the nose, add more gritty expression), softer details and less sharp head tusks, and also the upper lips details aren't as sharp (the old batch has sculpted lines on it).

So maybe that and the paint scheme differences are the main cause of the lack of expression in the new batches.

Jaymig's and kaan's are clearly the same, both from Sideshow, so something has changed. The new paint looks 'smeared' in places. Black line not connected at right cheek. Some odd dark staining in the red in places. Some sculpted lines left unfilled. Shoddy, unfinished-looking eyes.

Overall, it is not a paintjob I would expect on a $240 figure. I would return it along with a letter of complaint pointing out the differences between sales photos versus in-hand product.

Jaymig's and kaan's are clearly the same, both from Sideshow, so something has changed. The new paint looks 'smeared' in places. Black line not connected at right cheek. Some odd dark staining in the red in places. Some sculpted lines left unfilled. Shoddy, unfinished-looking eyes.

Overall, it is not a paintjob I would expect on a $240 figure. I would return it along with a letter of complaint pointing out the differences between sales photos versus in-hand product.

Damn, those lines not being connected annoy the hell out of me...As inconsistent as his make-up was, that should simply not happen.

Damn, those lines not being connected annoy the hell out of me...As inconsistent as his make-up was, that should simply not happen.

Absolutely. This is something I'd expect from a $125 knock-off, not from a product from Sideshow at twice that.

Wasn't it Sideshow who shut down the customs section because of 'knock-offs'? Yet they boned their own customers with inferior product.

I may have to rethink my negative ideas about knock-offs if this is what "legit" companies are passing off these days.

Back