Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review, you touched on every single topic of interest and concern I had about this figure. Pity about the ankles, lack of cloak, and price tag!

This release screamed for an alternate head sculpt, cant believe they didn't go for it.

I know right! They had the perfect opportunity to make this a definitive Darth Maul release. A cloak, alternate snarling head sculpt, and maybe even a lightup saber for those that like that sort of thing, would've made this release so much better for the price!

And I really wish the body felt more "solid". The joints arent super loose, but they are definitely not as firm as I would like.

Sure, more accessories arent strictly needed, but then the price should have been a lot lower. For what we get, I think a price around the $190 - $200 mark would've been more palatable.

The way I see it is that this hobby is a rip anyway,the price of a pf alone here in Australia,is around the $700-$800 sometimes more mark now,which is madness,but what can you do........nothing.Maybe I've just grown numb to it,I got my Maul with 15% off the retail,paid it off awhile ago,so I don't really think about the money as it was paid off so long ago,at the end of the day he looks better than what I thought SS would have produced,so I'm happy.

Not going to lie, pleasantly supersized at how good he displays. I will try to get some pics up soon.

Seeing the ears on this and how people still think this is ok is laughable. If this was $100 I would pass.

Love your shots, Gravemist....really evokes the movie scene quite well. I get the issue about the lack of texture on the skin....but the paint doesn't look as scary on your shots as it did on those early ones.

And thanks for the video kool....you always provide a good, clean look. Outfit looks really good. Are the skirt pleats wired? (sorry if you mentioned that in the video already)...If so, that opens up some great futzing opportunities. Is the belt on the figure a little high? Wondering if it pulls down a bit. The break in the boots is nice too.

Still torn here...I'm a Maul fan, but this one's a pretty big hit on the wallet. ..Gotta see more before I take the plunge. ..

Seeing the ears on this and how people still think this is ok is laughable. If this was $100 I would pass.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe his ears on the movie have that sort of bad makeup job where some red bleeds through. The red on the jawline and the mold seam are a bit much though.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe his ears on the movie have that sort of bad makeup job where some red bleeds through. The red on the jawline and the mold seam are a bit much though.

Yes. I like the see-thru ears. But the mold lines and red "chips" are totally unacceptable... and sad.

And thanks for the video kool....you always provide a good, clean look. Outfit looks really good. Are the skirt pleats wired? (sorry if you mentioned that in the video already)...If so, that opens up some great futzing opportunities. Is the belt on the figure a little high? Wondering if it pulls down a bit. The break in the boots is nice too.

From memory, I dont think the front pleat is wired, but the layers underneath all seem to have wires on either side. But I will check when I get home tonight. Will be taking some more pics and post them up here.

Yes, the belt is a bit high out of the box, but I think it's loose enough to allow it to be pushed down lower. I'll definitely be looking to do that tonight too.

I can confirm that the front skirt flap that has the different patterning is also wired. So all the skirts/flaps have wires and can result in some nice flowing poses.

The skin texturing is such a disappointment! Like I know even Hot Toys lose a drastic amount of texturing from the proto, but this literally has none!
Does anyone know why that is, that the texturing decreases on the final product?

The skin texturing is such a disappointment! Like I know even Hot Toys lose a drastic amount of texturing from the proto, but this literally has none!
Does anyone know why that is, that the texturing decreases on the final product?

I think it's something to do with making a cast of the source head sculpt from which all the others are mass produced. The detail from the source cannot be perfectly replicated in a cast, so the copies all lose a bit of detail.

If you notice, Hot Toys skin texture is often heavy on their prototypes so by the time production comes out, it's just right. Prototype Maul looks like HT production which means losing it all in casting.

And it depends on how thickly they apply the paint... if it was cast in say a red color and then a light layer of black was added maybe more of the skin texture would have shown through. But loss of texture in casting and paint may have done this in.

Overall it's still a very impressive sculpt, but $240 is a joke.

Repaint my OG Maul for a fraction and it will still looks about 95% as good as this Maul.

I wish Sideshow had produced Dooku or AotC Anakin instead.

Back