Sideshow cured my desire for Hasbro toys...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niennumb1

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I went down to Toys R' Us Midnight madness and as I walked in to see the many people throwing every figure under the sun in their shopping baskets I looked at everything they had to offer and then it hit me... I think I'm cured of Hasbro toys! I truly had no desire to buy any figures nor vehicles.

Fact is, none of those toys even hold a candle to the PF and 12" Star Wars line and I'm so happy with my Sideshow collectibles I'd be happy never buying a Star Wars action figure again. Though I haven't been hasbro collecting for a couple years now, but usually you get all caught up in the moment and excited cuz everyone else is loading up their carts.... I walked out. Full wallet. Didn't spend a dime tonight. Actually pretty damn proud of it.

I think even though the Sideshow stuff is more expensive per figure, I think it's easier to keep up with and OVERALL it's cheaper than trying to collect every hasbro figure and vehicle/playset. I'm very content and can't wait for Sideshow's new offerings!

Yeah, I went through the same thing when i started collecting Sideshow 1/6 scale figures. Hasbro stuff feels kidish after having a few Sideshow Figures in hand, I sold off all my Hasbro a long time ago and have never looked back :)

Midnight madness for what?

The release of the Clone Wars toys and also the new "Legacy" line. I got what I wanted tonight, a new B-Wing pilot and a new Ewok. I still like the Hasbro stuff and more of it will slowly trickle into my collection over the weeks... and you can bet your ass Im getting that BMF = Big Millenium Falcon :rotfl

I was also planning on going to the midnightmadness, its 10:30pm here now and I got 1 hour 30 minutes to decide but I probably will just go tomorrow. I'm trying to really cut back on action figures at 3-8 inches. But I do have my eyes on that 30 inch TDK Batman figure. Cost about $55, does anyone remember how much was the first release of the 30 inch BB Batman? Did it ever go on clearance?

I forgot MM was tonight....damn it.

What's funny is that my Super Wal-Mart had NOTHING, they hadn't even reset the pegs. I went to a normal Wal-Mart (still 24 hrs) down the highway and BAM they had EVERYTHING. Pallet full of BMFs, figures, Legos, you name it. I grabbed the Leektar pack and hung around for a bit looking for the Evo sets, but there were none.. until I saw them coming out with another pallet full of cases. They opened the Evo case, got my Pilot Set with Farlander (vintage B-Wing pilot update) and went to the register. Lo and behold, this store was running the new Evo sets under the old SKU so my Evolution set only cost me $15.00! :google I want to go back soon and get the Padme set and I'll be caught up on the entire subline for less than retail. :lol My Imp Pilots cost me $20 shipped, my Pilots II set was $20 shipped, Pilots I $15 and hopefully Padme for $15. :lol

:lol

I just wanted Commander Rex and a couple of clones....I just love heading out to MM because of all the nutjobs that show up and wait in front of TRU in costume and arguing about film errors, etc. I went for ROTS because I was still really into Hasbro and it was fantastic to see and to see the scalpers sending their kids running past people with lists, yelling "Don't bend the card!"

My wife and I were planning on going just to see who came out but we aren't all that bummed. I'll just head over to Target and see what I can find tomorrow.

I never collected Hasbro if I can say that. My SW action figures collection is tiny and mostly focused on Imperials and droids. I only collected Action Fleet and MicroMachines (I'd still collect them if Hasblow hadn't these lines canceled). When I got into Kotos I knew there's no way back. Now I'm looking for Sideshow 1/6 & 1/4, Medicom RAH, Master Replicas/eFX props, Gentle Giant, Hot Toys (for non-SW) etc. but only OT Imperials.

:lol

I just wanted Commander Rex and a couple of clones....I just love heading out to MM because of all the nutjobs that show up and wait in front of TRU in costume and arguing about film errors, etc. I went for ROTS because I was still really into Hasbro and it was fantastic to see and to see the scalpers sending their kids running past people with lists, yelling "Don't bend the card!"

My wife and I were planning on going just to see who came out but we aren't all that bummed. I'll just head over to Target and see what I can find tomorrow.

I remember the ROTS madness. Haha I went home and tore my figures right off the card, did it tonight again. My Wal Mart though was pretty empty. There was one guy still hanging around when the Evo case was cracked open but that was it. I like it sooo much more when it's low key. Good luck though on picking up Rex and the Clones, shouldn't be too difficult but ya never know.

Shhh.... We have to keep real quiet about this, in case Hasbro decides to take back the rights to make 12" figures from SideShow. Hah hah.

Never collected Hasbro as such joined in Star Wars collecting with SSC 12 inchers

However Hasbro has its merits infact a reworked Ki Adi Mundi imho is better than an off the shelf Ki Adi Mundi from SSC

Ive got 18 Hasbro figures in my current collection, all customised to hell by yours truly

Snowtrooper
Scout Trooper
AT AT pilot
Tie Pilot
Death Star Gunner
Ki Adi Mundi
Dooku
4 lom
Dengar
Zuckuss
ig-88
Bossk
Lando Bespin disguise
Antilles Rebel Pilot
Gammorean Guard
Emperor Palpatine
Battle Droid
Super Battle Droid

Admittedly theres only the Ki Adi Mundi thats been done by both Hasbro and SSC

but what I get from Hasbro are 3 things

1. The ability to indulge my creative side customising and all very cheaply given the abundance of Hasbro figures on the bay
2. In the case of Ki Adi Mundi a better proportional head sculpt
3. I can then afford to get some of the real pro repainters on these boards to work their magic (this is the area were if any were SSC let us all down)

Id sooner have a Hasbro Ki Adi Mundi kitbashed and resculpted by me and repainted by Darren Carnell than an of the shelf SSC one.

With Hasbros Ki Adi for e.g. I get the enjoyment of the bash, imho a better figure and mines cheaper than SSC

I admit Hasbro for the most part is crap, but you can

"polish turds"

Im happy looking at what Hasbro got nearly right

on the bay

Getting it at a steal off ebay and then spending my time trying to fix what I feel can be fixed

and given the way SSC figures are performing on ebay, using them for bashing material as well

The downside is when a new SSC comes out and blows one of my bashes out of the water, Thats when I have to make a secondary purchase

I will kitbash Hasbro cheaply and enjoy doing it, so imho they have their place still in my collection

Last edited:
ooohhh. Sounds interesting. Got any pics???
I too have been swayed away from Hasbro but I will definately be buying the new Big Millenium Falcon!

ooohhh. Sounds interesting. Got any pics???
I too have been swayed away from Hasbro but I will definately be buying the new Big Millenium Falcon!

front.jpg

DSCF0686.jpg

DSCF0849.jpg

palp01.jpg

ig88-dengar-4lom-zuckuss.jpg

bd03.jpg

sbd04.jpg

I barely consider Sideshow to be a step up from Hasbro in the 1/6 dept.

Sidehow's and Hasbro's products are like apples and oranges. The Hasbro stuff has been getting REALLY good the last couple of years, especially in improving the articulation. Human likenesses are still hit and mis, but I've yet to see anyone do that well with human likenesses at 1:18.

The Sideshow (and Hot Toys and Medicom, et al) stuff is art. The Hasbro stuff is fun to play with. I'm a big believer in playing with one's toys. And I'm not a big fan of "collectibles"... I'll only resort to buying statues if there's no other good representation of a character or object in a particular scale.

I barely consider Sideshow to be a step up from Hasbro in the 1/6 dept.
Wow Joker, that's ALMOST Praise comming from you in the direction of sideshow, I R AMAZ-ED. :lol

Seriously though, I know what you mean about cured of hasbro. I feal the same way alot of the time. I'm even debating stopping with my gi joe 25th line becuase of how nice the sideshow joes look.

However, with the rising prices, I may cut back my sideshow purchases.

Sideshow and the other high end companies cured me of action figures all together.

Back