Premium Format Sideshow Captain America Premium Format 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty mix review of this piece it seem. Some love, some hate... =)

I'm kind of astounded at people digging this piece. I'm cool with modernizing the costumes (I have Wolverine on pre-order) but man does this thing go way overboard with the unnecessary details. I predict that in a few years there's going to be a pretty solid consensus that this design is dated - there's a reason Cap doesn't look like this in the comics.

I think this is a case of the vocal minority constantly harping on about how they don't like it. Am sure it will look awesome on display and that a lot of people will enjoy him. I'll prob pick up black widow and wolverine as they look too good together, I can live without this cap but hope the paint job is decent for all those getting him

I think this is a case of the vocal minority constantly harping on about how they don't like it. Am sure it will look awesome on display and that a lot of people will enjoy him. I'll prob pick up black widow and wolverine as they look too good together, I can live without this cap but hope the paint job is decent for all those getting him

You are probably right. We already know most statue collectors couldn't care less about the comics, with many never even having picked one up in their lives, so I think the sales will be fine on this one.

Don't blame "modern" for this oddly over-designed look. Modern updates can look quite cool as we've seen in the current live-action films. This statue not so much. IMO of course.

Exactly. When I saw the teaser, I really wanted to like this guy because I need a Cap PF in my collection, but he's just way too tacky for my taste.

Any word on if anybody is making a Civil War Cap in 1/4 or has that ship sailed? The IS one from AoU looked great, costume-wise, but I wasn't a fan of the "Pull my Finger" pose either.

You are probably right. We already know most statue collectors couldn't care less about the comics, with many never even having picked one up in their lives, so I think the sales will be fine on this one.
Does it really matter?

I will never understand the constant need everyone here has to reinforce their opinion one way or another on how a statue looks. So what if the "vocal minority" don't like something, and so what if person X has a different opinion on a statue. Or 20 person X's.

People get defensive sooooo easily about something so trivial. It's just a freaking comic book statue, and I don't think it is any kind of huge shock that every single person in the world is not going to have the exact same opinion on, you know, anything.

I'm not criticizing you personally, it's just the message I chose to respond to. It's just kind of comical to inevitably see people on EVERY thread get defensive about the fact that yes, there are people who like something that you don't or vice versa.

If you like this statue, great. Buy it and enjoy. If you don't like this statue, great. Skip it and hope for something you like better on the next one. But good lord, accept and acknowledge that people aren't "wrong" if their feeling differs from yours. I understand getting frustrated at people who go way over the top in their opinion, but just ignore them.

Yeah a lot on the FB groups like this. They don’t have any attachment to the classic costumes. A lot of them didn’t know these characters before the movies especially the people who buy every HT Iron Man and Iron Man statue.

I'm a cap fan and I like this. I don't get what all uproar is about. Isnt this SS 4th cap statue...wait, 6th counting movie versions. And didn't XM make 2 cool ones. Seems like a good time to be a Cap fan.

Does it really matter?

I will never understand the constant need everyone here has to reinforce their opinion one way or another on how a statue looks. So what if the "vocal minority" don't like something, and so what if person X has a different opinion on a statue. Or 20 person X's.

People get defensive sooooo easily about something so trivial. It's just a freaking comic book statue, and I don't think it is any kind of huge shock that every single person in the world is not going to have the exact same opinion on, you know, anything.

I'm not criticizing you personally, it's just the message I chose to respond to. It's just kind of comical to inevitably see people on EVERY thread get defensive about the fact that yes, there are people who like something that you don't or vice versa.

If you like this statue, great. Buy it and enjoy. If you don't like this statue, great. Skip it and hope for something you like better on the next one. But good lord, accept and acknowledge that people aren't "wrong" if their feeling differs from yours. I understand getting frustrated at people who go way over the top in their opinion, but just ignore them.

The problem is the art direction at Sideshow. People waited so long for a Magneto pf and since Igo doesn’t like the underwear over pants look we didn’t get a classic costume Magneto. People were expecting a Jim Lee Magneto and we got a made up costume for $750. Sideshow holds the 1/4 license for US and are ditching classic costumes for the most part now so if you prefer classic costumes you’re screwed at this point.

The problem is the art direction at Sideshow. People waited so long for a Magneto pf and since Igo doesn’t like the underwear over pants look we didn’t get a classic costume Magneto. People were expecting a Jim Lee Magneto and we got a made up costume for $750. Sideshow holds the 1/4 license for US and are ditching classic costumes for the most part now so if you prefer classic costumes you’re screwed at this point.
Why would people expect anything though? These guys are also artists. They're sculpting a statue that's approved and put up for sale is just like a painter selling something in an art gallery. The difference is they're based on known characters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Why would people expect anything though? These guys are also artists. They're sculpting a statue that's approved and put up for sale is just like a painter selling something in an art gallery. The difference is they're based on known characters.

They’ve made classic costumes for years but now they’re going all over the place with the costumes. The classic costume is the safer choice imo if you’re going to charge near $600 for pfs now.

They’ve made classic costumes for years but now they’re going all over the place with the costumes. The classic costume is the safer choice imo if you’re going to charge near $600 for pfs now.
I disagree. Classic costumes just don't translate well in 2018 with movies coming out on an almost monthly basis.

I disagree. Classic costumes just don't translate well in 2018 with movies coming out on an almost monthly basis.

When I think of these characters it’s the classic costumes from the comics and not the movie costumes.

Does it really matter?

Your outlook is too simplistic. I don't mean this in a bad way but I've heard "if you don't like it, don't buy it"..."if you like it, buy it" or "vote with your wallet" too many times when people express their opinions. It's just a backhanded way of saying no one cares about what you think.

Here's the problem. I (and many others) spent years and thousands on sideshow products. Most collectors like to build lines. I'm in DIRE need of a 1/4 classic Cap and sideshow has a lock on the North American market in that no other company can sell 1/4 Marvel or DC statues in North America. Unlicensed sculpts are illegal and buying XM merch directly isn't allowed to anyone living in North America (besides, I never liked either of the XM Caps). So, the only legit classic 1/4 Cap a person could easily obtain is the OG sideshow PF that is long sold out and was released 10 years ago. Funny enough, I've been collecting long enough to have been able to PO the OG PF but I absolutely HATED the cloth on that piece. So, I "didn't buy it, because I did't like it" and "voted with my wallet" and quietly and patiently waited 10 years and counting for another 1/4 classic comic Cap PF from sideshow. It hasn't happened. Instead, we got various movie Caps, Allied Charge Cap, and now ready for football padded Cap. IMO, Cap is way too popular a character to ignore in classic form for 10+ years. Spidey has numerous offerings in his classic red and blue duds in both 1/5 and 1/4 scale. While Spidey is Marvel's most popular character, it's not like Cap is far behind or a "C" list character. Look at how many PFs I've listed that sideshow has released. It's obvious the character is very popular. He's long overdue for another classic revisit and the only company that can realistically give collectors in North America a classic 1/4 Cap is sideshow.

So, it isn't as simple as you make it out IMO. There's a ton of frustration that boils over when the one company you have spent thousands on has a lock on the region you live in and refuses to give its customers the ICONIC and most well known version of a character you like and want to add to your collection. It can cause for some heated posts.

Last edited:

Bingo! If sideshow released classic versions first, this would be far less of an issue. Also, with super popular characters like Cap, Spidey, HULK, Bats, Supes (etc..), sideshow can easily revisit these characters in classic form every 5-10 years for those that missed out or didn't like the initial classic offering. Mix in the sideshowified costumes in between and everyone walks away happy. I don't understand how sideshow can't possibly see this.

Back