1/6 Sideshow ASH - Evil Dead 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen ED2 until recently either.

I really don't like Evil Dead all that much lol. It's way too cheesy for me. Cheesier than Jason and Freddy combined.

The only thing I like about the movies is the Ash character. Other than that, meh.

I really don't like Evil Dead all that much lol. It's way too cheesy for me. Cheesier than Jason and Freddy combined.

The only thing I like about the movies is the Ash character. Other than that, meh.
p26EVRL.gif

7yguF.gif

LOL. Imma bring a lot of hate to this thread now.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent movie. I still plan to buy the sideshow pieces for it!

Today I just watched Evil Dead 2 for the first time ever. Crazy!

I saw Army of Darkness when it came out and kind of always assumed that it was not really related to the first two movies. I had no idea that ED2 literally transitioned right into it. I thought AoD began with him working in the present at S-Mart? Am I just remembering that wrong?

Totally surreal to watch ED2 for the first time 20 years after AoD. Its like the first "prequel" that I've seen decades after the previous movie that was actually good. :lol

Much better than I thought it would be. I had no idea that it had such action hero elements. I thought all the chainsaw hand/sawed off shotgun stuff started in AoD. I've been missing out! It kind of felt like the first Terminator where pretty much everything is super low budget and then all of a sudden at the very climax you get these surprisingly sweet visuals. I never thought they'd actually show what that creature who zooms through the forest looks like.

I'm totally buzzing right now. On a whim I recorded it on the DVR when it was on EPIX HD. Obviously I didn't get to grow up with it like a lot of you guys but if I *had* seen it in 1987 or 1988 it wouldn't have been in the theater. It would have been a VHS displayed on a 19 inch tube. So at least my first watch was widescreen high def. Totally trippy cool movie.

Pretty close. The intro was just a quick recap of ED2. It shows ash working at S-Mart and about Linda and then goes to him getting pulled into the vortex.

I started with AoD as well. I must have rented the VHS at least once a month for years as a kid. Then in junior high my buddy was shocked I had never seen ED or ED2 so he lent me his VHS' and I watched them twice each that weekend.

Such a great series of films. Got to meet Bruce Campbell this year and have him sign my Jason Edmiston Evil Dead 2 print. So epic.

Today I just watched Evil Dead 2 for the first time ever. Crazy!

I saw Army of Darkness when it came out and kind of always assumed that it was not really related to the first two movies. I had no idea that ED2 literally transitioned right into it. I thought AoD began with him working in the present at S-Mart? Am I just remembering that wrong?

Totally surreal to watch ED2 for the first time 20 years after AoD. Its like the first "prequel" that I've seen decades after the previous movie that was actually good. :lol

Much better than I thought it would be. I had no idea that it had such action hero elements. I thought all the chainsaw hand/sawed off shotgun stuff started in AoD. I've been missing out! It kind of felt like the first Terminator where pretty much everything is super low budget and then all of a sudden at the very climax you get these surprisingly sweet visuals. I never thought they'd actually show what that creature who zooms through the forest looks like.

I'm totally buzzing right now. On a whim I recorded it on the DVR when it was on EPIX HD. Obviously I didn't get to grow up with it like a lot of you guys but if I *had* seen it in 1987 or 1988 it wouldn't have been in the theater. It would have been a VHS displayed on a 19 inch tube. So at least my first watch was widescreen high def. Totally trippy cool movie.

Glad you enjoyed it... EDII is a classic. It's a crazy movie, but a wonderful combination of some great effects, Raimi's distinctive style and the awesomeness that is Bruce Campbell. You should check out the original too; it's very similar to EDII, but has it's own charm and place in the series. EDII is much more polished, but ED is a very raw and awesome film.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness could be spliced into ONE long 3 hour movie

I think I saw Army of Darkness first, when it first came on VHS. But around that same time, I saw Evil Dead when it aired on Sci-Fi channel during Halloween. When I saw it, I was blown away, and thought it was such a great kind of horror movie that connected with me way better than the more mainstream horror stuff that was out there. I watched ED2 a bit later on, when I managed to track down a tape of it at the rental place across town that had all the obscure stuff (anime, Peter Jackson's stuff, Cronenberg, etc.), and it was all I hoped it would be.

As I got older, I started thinking AOD was pretty cheesy, but I rewatched it a couple of years ago and could better appreciate what it was trying to do, and loved it. I need to watch it again one of these days. I can't imagine what it's like discovering these as an adult, but I'm glad you finally gave it a shot Khev. I think each movie succeeds in its own, distinct way. ED 2 is considered the height of the franchise, but like Turd, I think the original Evil Dead is a pretty special movie that's a bit underrated. Like the Thing, I think it does a really great job of establishing an effective and memorable atmosphere for the story it's trying to tell.

I gotta re-watch ED2. I think the only reason I'm not appreciating the series is because I never really watched them as a kid. I watched mainly Jason/Freddy/Myers and whoever else, over and over and over. So it's not as nostalgic to me as some people.

Though I really am enjoying AoD, however cheesy it really is.

I think I saw Army of Darkness first, when it first came on VHS. But around that same time, I saw Evil Dead when it aired on Sci-Fi channel during Halloween. When I saw it, I was blown away, and thought it was such a great kind of horror movie that connected with me way better than the more mainstream horror stuff that was out there. I watched ED2 a bit later on, when I managed to track down a tape of it at the rental place across town that had all the obscure stuff (anime, Peter Jackson's stuff, Cronenberg, etc.), and it was all I hoped it would be.

As I got older, I started thinking AOD was pretty cheesy, but I rewatched it a couple of years ago and could better appreciate what it was trying to do, and loved it. I need to watch it again one of these days. I can't imagine what it's like discovering these as an adult, but I'm glad you finally gave it a shot Khev. I think each movie succeeds in its own, distinct way. ED 2 is considered the height of the franchise, but like Turd, I think the original Evil Dead is a pretty special movie that's a bit underrated. Like the Thing, I think it does a really great job of establishing an effective and memorable atmosphere for the story it's trying to tell.

Well said... I remember really enjoying AOD the first time I saw it and then later feeling a bit meh. But if you take in context of being more tongue-in-cheek and how it references other horror, scifi and fantasy films it's a lot of fun. EDII is still my favorite of the 3, but they all offer something different and fun to the mix.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness could be spliced into ONE long 3 hour movie

And the whole trilogy could be spliced into one 4.5 hour movie. What's your point?

The ending of Evil Dead II is harder to reconcile with the events of Army of Darkness than the beginning is to reconcile with the first film.

Back