Premium Format Sideshow amazing spider-man 2 collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This actually nails it, though.

ASM2 introduced both Harry and Electro and all of a sudden they're a big deal.

However in the comics, Gwen, Harry, Norman, Electro, and all of the other major characters had been around for YEARS. So when Norman orchestrates Gwen's death it's a HUGE deal not just because it's the main character's lady, but because the hero and villain had been going at it for years and this raised the stakes of their ongoing feud to the highest possible level. It was unquestionable that his greatest enemy did him the most damage. Two characters who'd been around since the early days of the comic were at that point gone. When Harry snapped from his drug usage it was another HUGE deal because we actively saw his relationship with Peter over years, and how drugs and addiction deteriorated him. By the time we get to his Green Goblin days it much more emotional, he's a young husband and parent, responsible for a company, and battling his inner demons.

I would say movies can't have the same long term build up as comics, but when you look at Harry Potter and Marvel films for example, long term planning can be done to better feel the source material.

Sam Raimi's films weren't perfect, but he was right to introduce his major players in the first film and grew them throughout the 3 films, even if there were missteps along the way and a bad ending.

Imagine if we actually saw Peter and Harry's friendship play out instead of reminiscing about being friends. And if the Norman feud had been built up since the first film and if it all came to a head in the 3rd film with Norman responsible for Gwen's death and Harry then turning on Peter/Spider-Man. You could still use the villains who will become the S6 all around those events... The Dark Knight Trilogy and X-Men films successfully balanced the heavy involvement of multiple villains because the story came first, not just writing for action scenes and treating the villains as pieces for action scenes (Rhino). If there hadn't been such a rush to shoehorn in events just in mind to get that Sinister Six movie and instead thinking of an overall epic multi movie spanning universe with an expanding story, we probably would've had a better franchise better suited to the mostly well done casting.

YES. Storyline was just here are many villains. Fight. :(

It does seem as though the filmmakers lost sight of what Spider-man is all about

I've got issue 18 and it's the first superhero comic where the hero doesn't actually fight anyone.

It's all about story. The story in the film felt like it was there to support the action. One set piece after the other.

And the original Max Dillon origin was perfect enough. Just an average joe bloggs gets powers and decides that he's gonna rob banks

Straight forward and most likely what a lot people would do. Not anybody on these boards mind you ;)

In fact, it's a good mirror if Peter. He could easily have turned to crime. So the contrast is nice. But it seems that they have to have these super convoluted origins in these films

And the original Max Dillon origin was perfect enough. Just an average joe bloggs gets powers and decides that he's gonna rob banks

Straight forward and most likely what a lot people would do. Not anybody on these boards mind you
;)

In fact, it's a good mirror if Peter. He could easily have turned to crime. So the contrast is nice. But it seems that they have to have these super convoluted origins in these films

I agree with the bold, in particular. I've been reading the original Amazing Spider-Man run and it's funny how much more simple origin stories were back then. I just don't know if people could 'accept' an origin story like that nowadays because it's almost TOO simple. Granted, Peter's story is pretty simple, but still. The one movie origin that STILL blows me was Sandman's in SM3. That was pretty much perfect. True to the comics and so beautifully told. I loved the music and visuals for that scene. What an underused character in that movie. He could have easily owned the spotlight in that film. Big missed opportunity, IMO.

Sometimes a lot of choices people make are simple choices

That's why I liked his origin so much. He was basically just a moron who got powers

I agree, but I think difficult for a lot of people to get that when you're adapting a comic book movie -something larger than life. They try to go too over the top, etc., almost as if it's a missed opportunity. Less is more sometimes though. I think Nolan took that approach with Batman. Such a great adaptation of a hero on the big screen.

DC movie, only Batman was worth watching... Superman reminded me of Dragon Ball

DC movie, only Batman was worth watching... Superman reminded me of Dragon Ball

Wha???? No way!!! :lol

I liked Dragon Ball (left a lot to be desired though, in hindsight), but Superman was a far superior, IMO.

Straight forward and most likely what a lot people would do. Not anybody on these boards mind you ;)

:goodpost:

I agree with the bold, in particular. I've been reading the original Amazing Spider-Man run and it's funny how much more simple origin stories were back then. I just don't know if people could 'accept' an origin story like that nowadays because it's almost TOO simple. Granted, Peter's story is pretty simple, but still. The one movie origin that STILL blows me was Sandman's in SM3. That was pretty much perfect. True to the comics and so beautifully told. I loved the music and visuals for that scene. What an underused character in that movie. He could have easily owned the spotlight in that film. Big missed opportunity, IMO.

Everything was fine with Sandman's origin until they shoehorned in that part about his involvement with Uncle Ben's death. I couldn't stand that part. But I guess the movie followed a typical pitfall of comics: retroactive storytelling, or simply put, retcons.

Sometimes a lot of choices people make are simple choices

That's why I liked his origin so much. He was basically just a moron who got powers

I agree, but I think difficult for a lot of people to get that when you're adapting a comic book movie -something larger than life. They try to go too over the top, etc., almost as if it's a missed opportunity. Less is more sometimes though. I think Nolan took that approach with Batman. Such a great adaptation of a hero on the big screen.

What bothers me about these Spidey movie villains is why some of them have to be crazy?

Granted, Norman Osborn should be, but when they made Doc Oc crazy it made no sense. He was essentially a good character that somehow snapped after the accident and then in the final battle became good again...womp womp.

Electro was terrible. Sad for Jaime Foxx, a good actor, but that unstable, cry baby they sent us was Electro in name and powers only. The part before he fights Spidey and you here the chanting/music in his head to himself was absolutely horrible. Electro is NOT crazy. He's always been somebody who just decided to do the wrong things, just like Doc Oc and the majority of Spidey's villains. I think that's more realistic than "let's make him insane!". People with power abuse it all the time, super heroes and villains just raise the stakes of that because they use their powers to fulfill their own agendas. That's what most of Spidey's villains are...Electro's an extremely powerful thug, Doc Oc is an egomaniac, Carnage was already a serial killer, the Symbiote just made it worse, Venom's Symbiote brought out the anger that was already there. Not a bunch of crazies (well, Carnage probably is), just extremely flawed people.

As bad as Electro was, ASM2 Harry might be the worst. At least with Franco they took time to get him to crazy and it developed. With new Harry he's pretty much an unlikeable, whiney a$$ the whole movie and there isn't much reason to care about him beating his genetic disorder because you never spent any good moments with him. Even before he transformed, everything about the character was the extremely obvious final villain.

I know this isn't Shakespeare, it's action flick fodder, but if Batman movies and Days of Future Past can take themselves serious and still be entertaining, and Avengers can have long term payoffs slowly built, it's time for the Spidey movies to step it up a lot.

But to end on a positive note (after all that complaining, lol) it was the best Spidey himself has ever looked in action. It really showed just how powerful Spidey is.

Everything was fine with Sandman's origin until they shoehorned in that part about his involvement with Uncle Ben's death. I couldn't stand that part. But I guess the movie followed a typical pitfall of comics: retroactive storytelling, or simply put, retcons.

What bothers me about these Spidey movie villains is why some of them have to be crazy?

Granted, Norman Osborn should be, but when they made Doc Oc crazy it made no sense. He was essentially a good character that somehow snapped after the accident and then in the final battle became good again...womp womp.

Electro was terrible. Sad for Jaime Foxx, a good actor, but that unstable, cry baby they sent us was Electro in name and powers only. The part before he fights Spidey and you here the chanting/music in his head to himself was absolutely horrible. Electro is NOT crazy. He's always been somebody who just decided to do the wrong things, just like Doc Oc and the majority of Spidey's villains. I think that's more realistic than "let's make him insane!". People with power abuse it all the time, super heroes and villains just raise the stakes of that because they use their powers to fulfill their own agendas. That's what most of Spidey's villains are...Electro's an extremely powerful thug, Doc Oc is an egomaniac, Carnage was already a serial killer, the Symbiote just made it worse, Venom's Symbiote brought out the anger that was already there. Not a bunch of crazies (well, Carnage probably is), just extremely flawed people.

As bad as Electro was, ASM2 Harry might be the worst. At least with Franco they took time to get him to crazy and it developed. With new Harry he's pretty much an unlikeable, whiney a$$ the whole movie and there isn't much reason to care about him beating his genetic disorder because you never spent any good moments with him. Even before he transformed, everything about the character was the extremely obvious final villain.

I know this isn't Shakespeare, it's action flick fodder, but if Batman movies and Days of Future Past can take themselves serious and still be entertaining, and Avengers can have long term payoffs slowly built, it's time for the Spidey movies to step it up a lot.

But to end on a positive note (after all that complaining, lol) it was the best Spidey himself has ever looked in action. It really showed just how powerful Spidey is.

I agree with you about the Sandman/Uncle Ben connection. It just cheapened the whole death, IMO. And while I get it was a game-changer, there's no reason to revisit it in all 3 movies or make such an absurd connection.

And I can definitely appreciate all of the other highlights you point out. Very valid points across the board. I think you hit it on the head with the 'abuse of power'. I think studios make that jump and say, 'Well, if he's REALLY gonna be power hungry, he's going to go crazy. He must be crazy." And I think there's a fine line there, but nonetheless, there's a line. Two distinct things. Golden age Ock, Electro, Vulture, etc. weren't crazy. They were just bad, but I DO think that what makes them crazy is their 'thirst' to destroy Spider-Man because he always foils their plans. I think a good example of that is Norman in the Ultimate series. He eventually got to the point where he didn't care. He literally went crazy. He had a good hold on his new found powers - it wasn't power that mad him mad - it was Spider-Man. Introduce him into the equation and he'd even kill his own son, which he did.

Back