Sideshow Alien Space Jockey maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've repared mine. That's not perfect but better than before i think. Still a beautiful piece.

IMG_20161003_015221.jpgIMG_20160704_193133.jpgIMG_20160704_192121.jpgIMG_20160704_193044.jpgIMG_20160717_155535.jpgIMG_20160717_155633.jpgIMG_20160717_155653.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg Applied liquid latex to the space jockey just as Giger did to the actual figure in the film. Definitely adds to the realism. Yours appears to have a good paint job. Mine has a big glob of dark wash in the right eye, the eye that is seen when displaying the piece as shown in the film. Numerous other minor paint issues. Love Giger's masterpiece so I'll just live with it.

View attachment 298354 Applied liquid latex to the space jockey just as Giger did to the actual figure in the film. Definitely adds to the realism. Yours appears to have a good paint job. Mine has a big glob of dark wash in the right eye, the eye that is seen when displaying the piece as shown in the film. Numerous other minor paint issues. Love Giger's masterpiece so I'll just live with it.

I was planning to do exactly the same :wink1: ...looks awesome, and much more realistic. :lecture :)

:hi5:

A little off topic. Who came up with the term Space Jockey?

It was H. R. Giger himself. Reading his diaries right now, he keeps referring to the astronauts Dallas, Kane and Lambert as Space Jockeys. Giger came up with the term, whether it was he or someone else who bestowed it upon the alien pilot, I guess that's one we'll never know.

The answer is in the image
A little off topic. Who came up with the term Space Jockey?

It was H. R. Giger himself. Reading his diaries right now, he keeps referring to the astronauts Dallas, Kane and Lambert as Space Jockeys. Giger came up with the term, whether it was he or someone else who bestowed it upon the alien pilot, I guess that's one we'll never know.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 192
Sprayed with clear lacquer, it doesn't.
Even if you don't do that, you can always rub it off and reapply.

I wonder how this compares to the older, smaller Space Jockey from Palisades... Does anyone own both?

I own both, the large version of the Palisades jockey and the newer SS. The Palisades one has a more textured finish but I think the SS paintjob is superior. I prefer the circular base of the SS version but limits where you can display it (if you can consider this a down side). All things considered bigger is better, the ss has far more presence.

Definitely seal it. I ended up with a sticky mess on one of my kits years later.

Very interesting. I sealed the latex on my raptus statue, but I've done other pieces that are holding up pretty good w/o. Probably been about 5 years.

What type of environment was your model stored in, and how old was it when things got weird.

I own both, the large version of the Palisades jockey and the newer SS. The Palisades one has a more textured finish but I think the SS paintjob is superior. I prefer the circular base of the SS version but limits where you can display it (if you can consider this a down side). All things considered bigger is better, the ss has far more presence.

I would like the SS version, but I have nowhere to display it... The Palisades is smaller and about 1/4 the price of the SS. I'm really torn between these two.

Well, I decided to get this. Found a really good deal (lower than retail price), while secondhand prices seem to be creeping upwards. Displaying it is going to pose some issues - I'm 5cm short on my shelves. We'll see.

Back