Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always used hot water and never suffered any ill effects. It's been quite while since I did my Stormtroopers chest plate, but I seem to remember the plastic being a little hard to get to that pliable state...had to bring the water to a boil and leave it in a lot longer than usual.

IMG_13113.JPG

I've done 8, all with hot water. Better to take it out a little too early and see if it's pliable and just put it back in if not than to leave it too long and end up with white bacon.

I actually turned one of my trooper chest plates into the aforementioned white bacon by leaving it in hot water for too long. So exercise great caution. :lecture

Hot water worked for my bro and I. The paint will start bubbling long before the plastic hits its melting point...so be careful.

Also be careful not to let the steam hit the paint as it will scorch the paint as well. We typically boil a lot of water; enough so you can string the piece in without is touching the sides or bottom. All done after turning off the fire and letting the steam dissipate for a second or so. Most times the armor will curl slightly on its own, so watch your timing and watch the piece to make sure you take it out at your most desired tuck. If it tucks too much, re-boil and slightly pull the sides out and set under cold water. Voila!

I've always used hot water and never suffered any ill effects. It's been quite while since I did my Stormtroopers chest plate, but I seem to remember the plastic being a little hard to get to that pliable state...had to bring the water to a boil and leave it in a lot longer than usual.

IMG_13113.JPG

That looks great BR. I have modded three using boiling water and love the results too. I still contemplate using future polish to shine them up, but can't bring myself to do it yet.

That looks great BR. I have modded three using boiling water and love the results too. I still contemplate using future polish to shine them up, but can't bring myself to do it yet.

If I had knew what the Australian equivalent to Future was I'd be polishing up my armor for sure. Any local members have an opinion on this product, apparently it's a good alternative to Future:

https://www.polish-up.com.au/products/pledge-floor-care-multi-surface-floor-finish-798ml.html

I think that may be the same exact stuff Lejaun. I don't think they make "Future" any more, or at least call it that. What I got a couple of years ago was called "Pledge with Future shine". Googling that just now I came up with the same stuff you linked to.

Still haven't gotten around to using it on my Stormy, but I have used it on my custom Han's boots (which were matte finish) and it worked great. Also used it as gloss for his eyes:

543740_571585426186458_1821415463_n.jpg

I think that may be the same exact stuff Lejaun. I don't think they make "Future" any more, or at least call it that. What I got a couple of years ago was called "Pledge with Future shine". Googling that just now I came up with the same stuff you linked to.

Still haven't gotten around to using it on my Stormy, but I have used it on my custom Han's boots (which were matte finish) and it worked great. Also used it as gloss for his eyes:

Its the same thing.

Tried the blow dryer trick for a few min and nothing so I tried the bowling water trick again and it worked. Can't believe how much better it finally looks with such a simple thing.
SS_zps3d16d111.jpg

They're actually sandtroopers but before I finished customising them lol. Seriously tempted by marmits nowadays though, but just don't have the space nor want to spend the cash and have these 2 become obsolete :(

IMG_0079.jpg

They're on TT slims, modified armour, modified helmet, glossed up

IMG_0086.jpg

I remember now that I also repainted their armour, so it wasn't as white lol (added a mild greeny tint to the new white I mixed that I felt made it look more realistic)

Last edited:
They're actually sandtroopers but before I finished customising them lol. Seriously tempted by marmits nowadays though, but just don't have the space nor want to spend the cash and have these 2 become obsolete :(

IMG_0079.jpg

They're on TT slims, modified armour, modified helmet, glossed up

IMG_0086.jpg

I remember now that I also repainted their armour, so it wasn't as white lol (added a mild greeny tint to the new white I mixed that I felt made it look more realistic)

Now you just need to add belt boxes, remove the sniper plate, modify the ab buttons and shoulder straps, add thermal detonator/air canister, and you'll have real Stormtroopers ;)

Now you just need to add belt boxes, remove the sniper plate, modify the ab buttons and shoulder straps, add thermal detonator/air canister, and you'll have real Stormtroopers ;)

I was going for a 1/6th representation of a rejected 501st member waiting on more things from ebay and the RPF

Back