Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove the chest piece from the figure, place it in very hot water and as the plastic softens bend it into shape by squeezing the sides towards each other. Allow to cool and voila :)

No matter how many times I've tried this mod, I cannot get the armour to bend into shape. It just doesn't want to soften, so I've given up trying before I ruin it.

No matter how many times I've tried this mod, I cannot get the armour to bend into shape. It just doesn't want to soften, so I've given up trying before I ruin it.

That water has to be pretty hot, like just off the boil. You also have to over-shape it as the plastic's memory springs it back somewhat.

I also added a strip of velcro to keep the two 'halves' closer together.

I can't see how a variant wouldn't sell really well... I hope we see a new stormtrooper figure sooner rather than later. I'm kicking myself for only getting the one at MSRP, which was all I thought I could afford at the time. I was still a newb at the time and didn't reckon on them becoming rare as hen's teeth.

Oh, they'd fly off the shelves. Especially if they keep the price low/reasonable. I love Stormtroopers. I have dozens of the 3 inch Hasbro ones. What was the original MSRP?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Oh, they'd fly off the shelves. Especially if they keep the price low/reasonable. I love Stormtroopers. I have dozens of the 3 inch Hasbro ones. What was the original MSRP?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

$89.99 :monkey2

..and then BBTS had a "warehouse find" sale, $79.99, which I also passed on :slap

Use a hairdryer instead. You can control the heat much better, no spilling of very hot water on your hands or on armor. I did this on 3 SS Stormies and 3 Sandtroopers without any issues.

Use a hairdryer instead. You can control the heat much better, no spilling of very hot water on your hands or on armor. I did this on 3 SS Stormies and 3 Sandtroopers without any issues.

Thanks, I'll try that. Even using water just taken off the boil wouldn't soften it and it felt like it might snap in half. (not rude)

Thanks, I'll try that. Even using water just taken off the boil wouldn't soften it and it felt like it might snap in half. (not rude)

I also recommend using tools like large pliers and holding them by the edges. The armor can get so soft that your fingerprints can leave a mark on the glossy finish.

a72820a0dde411e285e622000a9e5ac9_7.jpg

Yep, exactly. They are all stormtroopers after all. They're just specifically geared for different weather conditions and terrains.
Yet, there's also truth in your statement... from a certain point of view ;)

That's all beside the point anyway. :lol

It's like saying any old clone can be the focus of any old clone thread.

I know.. that happens anyway, as it does all over the place - like here too! :lol

So.. TK - "why aren't you at your post?" :tap

:D

How long does it usually take? I decided to do the boiling water method but it didn't work so I'll try that one next. I just don't wanna overdo it and have it melt or anything.

With water, when the armor is wet, you cannot tell for sure if it is soft enough. With the hair dryer you can just feel the armor, you can stop when you think it is soft enough and thus work with the armor more easily. In both cases you need a bit of patience though, do not bend the armor if not soft enough, try it in small steps.

Be very careful with the hair dryer as i warped/shrunk and ruined a SS stormtrooper chest piece once, but luckily i got another 1 cheap.

I've done 8, all with hot water. Better to take it out a little too early and see if it's pliable and just put it back in if not than to leave it too long and end up with white bacon.

Back