1/6 Sideshow 1/6th Scale Star Wars Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great man, you have alot of patience. Iol i cant believe the headache that comes with sideshow products.

The Hasbro ones aren't fully screen accurate either (they're supposed to bend outward in front view, and the sculpt is not quite correct) but they are a WHOLE lot closer than the SSC ones, and at least the right size.

The undersize handlebars is what made the entire front look too small.

finally paid mine off, had zero problems puttng it together .

12191209_1080242948653985_6040281327168837448_o.jpg

i have a dio in mind for this, my trooper won't be riding the bike either was never my intention. Its a great piece from sideshow IMO.

Got my Scout and Speeder this week, very happy with the figure, even though Hot Toys quality is clearly superior, doubt i will get another Sideshow figure...
F8oTXHx.jpg

Nice work with the Hasbro handlebars on the Sideshow bike. Glad to see this worked out.
Now all that needs to be done is the pedals / pedal bar needs to be dropped down a lot lower so his knees aren't pushed so high up. The lower legs should be much lower down. This problem is what is making the Sideshow Scout Trooper appear too big for the bike.

ROTJ-Speederbike1.jpg

ROTJ-Speederbike2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work with the Hasbro handlebars on the Sideshow bike. Glad to see this worked out.
Now all that needs to be done is the pedals / pedal bar needs to be dropped down a lot lower so his knees aren't pushed so high up. The lower legs should be much lower down. This problem is what is making the Sideshow Scout Trooper appear too big for the bike.

View attachment 220618

View attachment 220619

That will be phase 2 :)

Decided to do a little comparison. The miniature model varies SIGNIFICANTLY from the 1:1 set piece. After examining, it looks like Sideshow took elements from both to create their 1/6 vehicle.

No matter what version they were going for, the handlebars are just wrong, period. However, the foot pedals vary pretty dramatically between the model and the set piece. For the model, they hang quite low, whereas in the 1:1, they sit much higher. The last picture, in particular, shows how far out the handlebars bow, which is quite different from the 1:1. Here's the model:

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7006.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7097.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7098.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-6942.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-6944.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7005.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-10497.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7032.jpg

This picture shows how FAR back the handlebars sweep, similar to the Sideshow piece. I think Sideshow's biggest mistakes were 1.) Sculpting the handlebars improperly (upon research, they're HORRIBLY inaccurate), but more importantly, 2.) Not making them able to hinge backwards/forwards.

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7095.jpg

And here's the 1:1 set piece. It really appears that Sideshow's handlebars are (more) from the model (fixed and set at a backwards angle), but the foot pedals are from the 1:1. Such an interesting combination. The last picture shows that, even with the higher pedal height, Carrie Fisher still had to use her tippy toes to reach them (boy, she's short. Just like I like 'em lol).

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-6895.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-6956.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7015.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7131.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-10441.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-10442.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-6932.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-7034.jpg

Verdict 1: It seems that Sideshow made a decision that this is a compromise that works better with a RIGID 1:6 figure, versus a wired puppet that can achieve much more deeper articulation. I happen to agree with them, except for the handlebars. 1:6 figures tend to be much more articulated in the upper body versus the lower body (shoulders/elbows/wrists versus hips and upper legs/thighs).

Verdict 1.1: Sideshow needs me on their staff lol!

Phase 2 - legs adjusted.

Even though I like this release, I can't fathom how SSC managed to get so many basic fundamentals wrong.

Also, after all my mods, it's clear to see they made it about 10% too small :slap

Close, but not quite finished.

Personally, it's been a bit of a nightmare, but I think it looks 1000% better :)

Decided to do a little comparison. The miniature model varies SIGNIFICANTLY from the 1:1 set piece. After examining, it looks like Sideshow took elements from both to create their 1/6 vehicle.

No matter what version they were going for, the handlebars are just wrong, period. However, the foot pedals vary pretty dramatically between the model and the set piece. For the model, they hang quite low, whereas in the 1:1, they sit much higher. The last picture, in particular, shows how far out the handlebars bow, which is quite different from the 1:1. Here's the model:

This picture shows how FAR back the handlebars sweep, similar to the Sideshow piece. I think Sideshow's biggest mistakes were 1.) Sculpting the handlebars improperly (upon research, they're HORRIBLY inaccurate), but more importantly, 2.) Not making them able to hinge backwards/forwards.

And here's the 1:1 set piece. It really appears that Sideshow's handlebars are (more) from the model (fixed and set at a backwards angle), but the foot pedals are from the 1:1. Such an interesting combination. The last picture shows that, even with the higher pedal height, Carrie Fisher still had to use her tippy toes to reach them (boy, she's short. Just like I like 'em lol).

Verdict 1: It seems that Sideshow made a decision that this is a compromise that works better with a RIGID 1:6 figure, versus a wired puppet that can achieve much more deeper articulation. I happen to agree with them, except for the handlebars. 1:6 figures tend to be much more articulated in the upper body versus the lower body (shoulders/elbows/wrists versus hips and upper legs/thighs).

Verdict 1.1: Sideshow needs me on their staff lol!

Nice anaylsis, Rubio.:clap You'd think the SSC footpedal frame assembly would have just been made articulated like the hasbro one.

Phase 2 - legs adjusted.

Even though I like this release, I can't fathom how SSC managed to get so many basic fundamentals wrong.

Also, after all my mods, it's clear to see they made it about 10% too small :slap

Mandible, so you altered the footpedal frame assembly so it's adjustable up and down or just lower and locked off?

And when you say 10% too small, do you mean the parts you adjusted, or the SSC bike overall?

Adjusted the angle of the foot peddles by using a dremel into the hole and changing the insertion angle/combined with some heat treatment. It's locked into place, not adjustable.

Comparing all the reference, life-size and model, photos of the real mccoy, I think it is overall undersized by about 10%. Just my opinion though.

Nice anaylsis, Rubio.:clap You'd think the SSC footpedal frame assembly would have just been made articulated like the hasbro one.

Mandible, so you altered the footpedal frame assembly so it's adjustable up and down or just lower and locked off?

And when you say 10% too small, do you mean the parts you adjusted, or the SSC bike overall?

Comparing all the reference, life-size and model, photos of the real mccoy, I think it is overall undersized by about 10%. Just my opinion though.

Since looking at the original pictures of this I always thought it looked about 10% too small, just as the Hasbro looks about 10% too big. :slap :lol I still need to pull my Hasbro out of storage and put the SS Scout on it and see if I can live with it. If not, I'm glad SS has another production run of theirs that is coming in May-July that I can order. Scout with speeder is my favorite Imperial, so I need this in the collection. :lecture

Got a really good deal on a sealed Speeder Bike off ebay a few months back and finally opened it and assembled it. Impressive display piece but when I was trying to attach one of the steering vanes on the front of the bike SSC hadn't fully drilled a deep enough hole on one of the sides (which of course I didn't know) and while trying to insert the infinitesimal little rod it snapped clean off. Can't really return it now which is on me but seriously, they couldn't just properly make the hole big enough on a $300 item? There's a secondary rod that connects the vane that at least allowed me to get it to "sit" in place so that at a glance you don't notice the damage but I'm done with Sideshow for all 1/6 items. The occasional PF will be all I'll do from here on out.

The Bike and Scout was the first 1/6 scale items I've bought from them since R2 and before that ESB Yoda. The quality just isn't there. I also unboxed the HT Stormtrooper two-pack today and they were perfect right out of the box as was Han and Chewie. So glad that HT got this license.

Back