Sideshow 1/6 Starcraft Raynor Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to know as well - got a link for that American Girl stand? Also, how much glue do you think it took to make Jimmy hold the gauss rifle like that?

For anyone on the fence and keeping track of issues with these awesome figures, mine finally arrived. I pre-ordered two and a half years ago yet didn't get mine delivered until after people had been getting their ebay purchases for several weeks, so this was my first and last pre-order from Sideshow and it kind of made me grumpy to realize that pre-orders fell so far behind non-pre-order customers which will probably color my initial review here, so let me start out saying I really like this figure. Detailing is great, paint is terrific, and I really feel they did justice to the iconic Starcraft marine armor.

Jimmy arrived with both a missing right index finger and a missing rear left exhaust vent over his butt; both were found loose in the packaging. The finger went back in place easily; there is a tiny plastic dowel that holds it, so if yours is missing search the packaging carefully for it, mine was loose but unbroken and it just slides back in for a pressure fit. The exhaust vent just presses back in place but falls off every time the figure is handled so it's going to need some glue. Right thumb is so loose it's utterly useless and left wrist is extremely loose as well; there is a ball socket that hopefully could be tightened but I haven't decided how to do that, so at the moment Jimmy is incapable of holding any of his weapons. Left wrist is very loose as well. Legs are nice and tight aside from the ankles / feet, which makes standing difficult and I wouldn't trust him not to topple, so he's back in the box until I can find a usable stand. Lights are intense! I think I'm going to remove two of the batteries and just deadshort the connections there to see if half-brightness works a little easier on the eyes, or maybe try a few resistors. He lights up the whole room easily, these LEDs are super bright!

Leather holster is soft and unexpectly nice. The pistol is comically large in the arms of an unsuited sixth scale figure, so it's apparent that Blizzard rescaled it in the game to make it fit right. I'm jealous of URDNOTsullivan's pics showing him holding the rifle in one hand, hopefully I can make my copy grip as strong with some modification. The one leg on an elevated stand in his photos also gave me an idea - it'd be cool to have a dead hydralisk base for him to place his foot on, like the one in the scene where Jimmy saves Warfield by shooting one's head off. I'll draw that one up and print it out & will share the file for anyone that wants it.

Overall impression: Figure is amazingly detailed and exactly what I wanted. Lots of love went into this figure. There are QC issues with assembly that hopefully go away in later builds, and the shipping delays prioritizing regular orders over people that paid years ago is confusing, but my overall takeaway is THIS GUY IS GREAT. I'll be ordering Tychus, assuming I can get the joint issues fixed and/or Sideshow sorts those in future production runs. I won't be pre-ordering though, it seems Ebay is the faster and cheaper way to go.

Also, for anyone interested in a custom (I doubt there will be many at this price but it crossed my mind and if unpainted kits are made available I'll get three!): The helmet visor still has the textured "hexagon" patterning from the early prototypes. The outside is smooth and opaque mirror coated so you don't see it, but the inside is hex textured so if you remove the paint and use a more transparent coating instead, the hex pattern should come through with the inside lighting (which is built in, though I never noticed in the pics - Jimmy has an LED in his back that allows for ambient helmet lighting and would shine through the visor if it wasn't completely opaque.

Excellent summary on your overall impression of the figure. Too bad about the crappy production issues. I am looking forward to mine, but I am also pensive. I don't want to get one with problems. On a side note, It baffles me as to why these companies continue to light up these collectibles with the brightest LED's. I think these companies should look more into fiber optics as an option. That way the ambient lighting could light up the gimmicks just enough.

Alright so I got my new Raynor figure this morning, and I gotta say now that I have a figure which is free of any problems, I adore this figure. The only problems I had was that one of my knee caps was loose and one of my finger joints was bent. (both problems were fixed with some needle nose pliers and some super glue. Both very easy fixes.) When this figure is done right, it is amazing. He is definitely the star of my collection, and without any problems, he is just such an incredible piece. I am a very happy collector, and I'm very excited for Tychus.

Got my Raynor figure today. Opened the box and the first thing I noticed was this:

tube01.jpg

The tube on the other side is not severed like this.

tube02.jpg

I'm not sure if this is normal, but the pods on his chest do not go in all the way.

pod01.jpg
pod02.jpg

Then I checked the head and found this:

head01.jpg

The hair was chipped and you can see the white plastic underneath. The pic is not really showing this well.

But other than that the joints on mine seems okay but I have yet to fully manipulate every single joint and pivot on the figure.

I'll see what Sideshow has to say about the broken tube.

My figure came in perfectly. However the only issue I have with it is i notice on some of its rubber tubes it has hairline cracks.

I wonder if the heat got to it. Is there anything I can do or should I get a replacement? I was thinking about coating the rubber with Lexol.

An update on my situation.

I was offered $65 in credit or $60 direct to my credit card. I replied asking if I want to return the figure for a refund do I have to pay the return shipping.

I asked just to know all my options. I was given an RMA and shipping label as a reply.

Well, I guess Raynor is going back to Sideshow.

Anyone else from Canada or overseas ever run into this problem?

I got a call this morning from UPS saying they needed a customs declaration invoice or from, that states the contents, value and the name and addresses of the shipper and recipient.

Luckily I was able to whip one up on MS Word and email it to the UPS rep. I've never done a Sideshow RMA before, so this was news to me.

Would have been nice of Sideshow to warn me about something like this or better yet, send me this declaration along with the return shipping label.

Got mine. It is an impressive piece but not without faults. My joints were relatively tight and hoses were intact. Unfortunately the top of the left foot was glued stuck!
It appears as though the assembler could not get the rivet correct and so decided to glue the whole damn thing together! Dumb. I had to drill out the rivets and carefully saw the foot free. It came out ok. Like most have said, this price point should not have poor QC.

17239151801_25972dabcb_b.jpg

The blast shield goes down all the way. The armor gets in the way when the helmet is on. Bummer.

17237973982_cd5939cf9b_b.jpg

The rivet is not inserted correctly.

17237971912_561dd2f610_b.jpg

Drilled out.

17239707385_db0f8c7bdb_b.jpg

17052157080_5767eb2969_b.jpg

Back together. Barely fits.

17213739236_8948d3ca1e_b.jpg

Showing off the rest of them.

Got mine. It is an impressive piece but not without faults. My joints were relatively tight and hoses were intact. Unfortunately the top of the left foot was glued stuck!
It appears as though the assembler could not get the rivet correct and so decided to glue the whole damn thing together! Dumb. I had to drill out the rivets and carefully saw the foot free. It came out ok. Like most have said, this price point should not have poor QC.

17239151801_25972dabcb_b.jpg

The blast shield goes down all the way. The armor gets in the way when the helmet is on. Bummer.

17237973982_cd5939cf9b_b.jpg

The rivet is not inserted correctly.

17237971912_561dd2f610_b.jpg

Drilled out.

17239707385_db0f8c7bdb_b.jpg

17052157080_5767eb2969_b.jpg

Back together. Barely fits.

17213739236_8948d3ca1e_b.jpg

Showing off the rest of them.
Would it fit in the detolf?

An update on my situation.

I was offered $65 in credit or $60 direct to my credit card. I replied asking if I want to return the figure for a refund do I have to pay the return shipping.

I asked just to know all my options. I was given an RMA and shipping label as a reply.

Well, I guess Raynor is going back to Sideshow.

UGH what a let down. Purchasing collectibles is such a gamble. It should'nt have to be. Hope your new one is tiptop 3Cube!

For anyone that received a figure and wasn't completely satisfied, I suggest sending it back, getting your money back, and buying him again. (provided that you still want the figure enough) I got a refund and then ordered a new one and I love the one I have now. I have Jim posed and displayed and he is solid standing on his own two feet and his joints are tight. Definitely looking forward to Tychus.

I know its hard to look past receiving a figure with problems, and I know what its like when you receive a collectible that should have never made it through quality control, but now that I have a Raynor figure in my hand that really doesn't have any problems I am really smitten with him. If you love Starcraft and its characters and you can put yourself through the returning and re-buying hassle, then I suggest you do so.

For anyone that received a figure and wasn't completely satisfied, I suggest sending it back, getting your money back, and buying him again. (provided that you still want the figure enough) I got a refund and then ordered a new one and I love the one I have now. I have Jim posed and displayed and he is solid standing on his own two feet and his joints are tight. Definitely looking forward to Tychus.

I know its hard to look past receiving a figure with problems, and I know what its like when you receive a collectible that should have never made it through quality control, but now that I have a Raynor figure in my hand that really doesn't have any problems I am really smitten with him. If you love Starcraft and its characters and you can put yourself through the returning and re-buying hassle, then I suggest you do so.

Glad it all worked out for you, brother. Happy ending are great to hear.

AFM

Glad I jumped ship on this guy. Not a fan of the head sculpt or the upper body size compared to the legs.
Looks pretty good though.

I sent mine back for a refund. At the end of the day, I feel the quality wasn't there for a $500 figure. Mine had numerous issues. As a cherry on top, the rifle wouldn't light up and the trigger got stuck after 3 presses.

zg9ac8.jpg

So I got the wrist issue sorted out! There are two screws on his wrists on either side of the ball joint. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a bit of a gap on one side. So I grabbed a 5/64 STANDARD (not metric) Allen key and tightened up the screw and voila! Problem solved. Gave the rest of his wrists a little tightening and now they're solid as a rock. So for anyone with wrist issues, there's your solution right there.

it can be tricky to get the key slotted but it'll tighten no problem.

I bought a 5/64 allen key, and it does not fit. The hex screw in Raynor's wrists are bigger than 5/64. Did anyone find a number that worked?

You know, I've been meaning to say something for quite a while now but I opted to keep quiet because I'm relatively new here. But seeing how many of you received, to varying degrees, defective pieces; I've decided to share my experience:

First off, let me start by saying I don't live in the U.S. but my sister does. To save on shipping costs, I have my collectibles delivered from SC to my sister's and then those are sent to me with various family members who shuttle between here and the States. The last haul I received was substantial. It included, among others, 3 Hot Toys IM suits including Igor, Sideshow's R2-D2, and Raynor. I'll get to why I mentioned the other figures in a minute.

I was excited about Raynor the most. I had him on pre-order within 15 minutes of it going online and I've been eagerly waiting to get him since. It got delivered to my sister's around the time people first started posting their in-hand photos here and I had to wait for three long weeks before my mom would schlep all that accumulating loot to me. I've been regularly checking this thread since to see what you guys had to say about it, and on YouTube looking for video reviews (I posted what I have found on this thread a couple of times) and I have to say those reviews did little to alleviate my fears (I had an extremely unpleasant experience with Sideshow's 1:6 scale General Grievous) But still I kept hopeful.

Finally, they arrived! And understandably I jumped on Raynor first. Right out of the box, things started to look grim: 3 detached panels loose inside the box one of which I didn't even know where it went on the figure at first, broken rubber tubing (not detached. Broken. One broken in half on the left arm, and one hanging by a thread on the right,) left hand palm panel looks like it's been glued and it's asymmetrical to that of the right, completely detached visor rim, broken panels in the exhaust vents, and light button on the back of the figure won't click (you have to keep the button pressed to make it light up.) On the bright side, hands and feet joints are relatively stiff, paint job is good, and articulation is better than I expected (still pretty limited but it's completely understandable due to how big the armor is.) I didn't really care for the head sculpt but that's a personal opinion. I think the one they did on the prototype was far better. Anyway, this thing is really a marvel to look at, as long as you don't do so too closely, which is really a shame because I seriously believe this figure could've been a perfect ten! I'd prefer to send him back for a replacement but doing that is out of the question for logistic reasons.

I mentioned Hot Toys 1:6 IM Igor and Sideshow's 1:6 R2-D2 to illustrate a point: I opened them at the same time and although Igor is roughly the same size as Raynor, Igor is far more superior in terms of quality and attention to details. I know Raynor is slightly more ambitious in terms of design, but I want anyone who wants to give Sideshow a free pass on how Raynor turned out on account of how big and complicated the figure is to take a look at how big and complicated Igor is and how better it was made. Sideshow can make a good complicated figure with lots of panels if they put their mind to it. My R2-D2 came out surprisingly well. I was fearing a disaster after unboxing Raynor.

TL;DR Ambitious design. Great to look at from a certain distance. A beast on the shelf. TERRIBLE QC. For $500 it shouldv've came out much better. Not getting Tychus.

(Sorry for any grammatical mistakes. English is not my first language.)

Back