Sideshow 1/6 Starcraft Raynor Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my comic-con pics. It was a little bigger than Catwoman, which was next to it, but very wide. Not enormous like Igor or Hulk but same arm span, i guess. The paint looked really good. Lots of weathering and scratches all over it. Was expecting it to be around 350-400.

raynor1.jpg~original

raynor2.jpg~original

raynor31.jpg~original

What supporting stand is that?

Do any of you use a supporting stand?

So after having him for a couple of weeks I am no less impressed. I'm comfortable with all the joints now but getting used to them was a horrifying experience. The hips and certain parts of the shoulder joints are truly terrifying to move the first few times, as the loud clacking both feels and sounds like you're breaking your 500 dollar toy. The only actual joints to be careful with are the knees, and only because of the pistons.

I've been doing some pretty wild stuff with this guy, and may look into a stand to try out some running poses.

After all the negative press I can say I'm 100% happy with this figure, I know some have had problems but my one issue was a tiny panel that snapped off and was easily repaired. An easy fix and it has not hampered my enjoyment of this one bit. I know the argument is a $500 item shouldn't have any issues, but let's be honest many of the things we buy do anyway and not a one on my shelf compares to Raynor.

Yeah, this figure still Impresses the hell out of me and I always find myself glancing at him. I know a lot of people mention certain issues being the reason for not buying but let's face it, I'd say the owners of this figure that are on here are a very select few. And of those issues listed, they dont seem to bother the owners enough to return them. I know a lot of people compare this to Hot Toys because of the scale but you know what? I can honestly say that hot toys has literally nothing on Jimmy. I have several figures and my buddy has like a billion iron mans which are the closest you can get to compare and Iron Man looks like a toy compared to him. Even issue wise, hot toys still has big ones after all this time. Look at the ED-209 re release. Same dome issue as before.

A lot of people aren't giving this a chance because of a couple issues and the fact that it's Sideshows first foray into this kinda territory. And they killed it. At this point with what we'll be getting this year in the 1/6th department, I don't think anything even comes close. Jimmy's armor has him miles ahead of the pack. Tychus is a no brainer for me.

I passed on this. But seeing how this turns out, I can't pass on Tychus

Oh and I have an update for the few people who had issues with their right power core vent not staying shut- in what is likely the only true design/assembly flaw of the piece, there is a small metal tab at the inside back wall of the vent that, when pressed fully in, keeps the lights off (and makes a small click sound) but is metal and pushes the vent out ever so slightly, maybe 1/6th of an inch. There is no locking mechanism in the plastic to keep the vent in, so to combat this likely late game factory issue, a specially cut sticky tape was inserted into the right vent -only- If applied correctly it allows the vent to fully close without popping back open. If it is missing entirely the vent can't stay shut. If it was applied incorrectly it could potentially bunch up and not allow the vent to close at all, even with force. While it would require steady hands and some very thin tools, this is the definition of easy fix. Some strong double sided tape applied to the inside was sideshow's solution, no reason anyone at home can't do the same. Hope this helps anyone with the problem!

Oh and I have an update for the few people who had issues with their right power core vent not staying shut- in what is likely the only true design/assembly flaw of the piece, there is a small metal tab at the inside back wall of the vent that, when pressed fully in, keeps the lights off (and makes a small click sound) but is metal and pushes the vent out ever so slightly, maybe 1/6th of an inch. There is no locking mechanism in the plastic to keep the vent in, so to combat this likely late game factory issue, a specially cut sticky tape was inserted into the right vent -only- If applied correctly it allows the vent to fully close without popping back open. If it is missing entirely the vent can't stay shut. If it was applied incorrectly it could potentially bunch up and not allow the vent to close at all, even with force. While it would require steady hands and some very thin tools, this is the definition of easy fix. Some strong double sided tape applied to the inside was sideshow's solution, no reason anyone at home can't do the same. Hope this helps anyone with the problem!

I have this issue too, my solution is just to pull the left one out slightly to match

What supporting stand is that?

I'd like to know as well - got a link for that American Girl stand? Also, how much glue do you think it took to make Jimmy hold the gauss rifle like that?

For anyone on the fence and keeping track of issues with these awesome figures, mine finally arrived. I pre-ordered two and a half years ago yet didn't get mine delivered until after people had been getting their ebay purchases for several weeks, so this was my first and last pre-order from Sideshow and it kind of made me grumpy to realize that pre-orders fell so far behind non-pre-order customers which will probably color my initial review here, so let me start out saying I really like this figure. Detailing is great, paint is terrific, and I really feel they did justice to the iconic Starcraft marine armor.

Jimmy arrived with both a missing right index finger and a missing rear left exhaust vent over his butt; both were found loose in the packaging. The finger went back in place easily; there is a tiny plastic dowel that holds it, so if yours is missing search the packaging carefully for it, mine was loose but unbroken and it just slides back in for a pressure fit. The exhaust vent just presses back in place but falls off every time the figure is handled so it's going to need some glue. Right thumb is so loose it's utterly useless and left wrist is extremely loose as well; there is a ball socket that hopefully could be tightened but I haven't decided how to do that, so at the moment Jimmy is incapable of holding any of his weapons. Left wrist is very loose as well. Legs are nice and tight aside from the ankles / feet, which makes standing difficult and I wouldn't trust him not to topple, so he's back in the box until I can find a usable stand. Lights are intense! I think I'm going to remove two of the batteries and just deadshort the connections there to see if half-brightness works a little easier on the eyes, or maybe try a few resistors. He lights up the whole room easily, these LEDs are super bright!

Leather holster is soft and unexpectly nice. The pistol is comically large in the arms of an unsuited sixth scale figure, so it's apparent that Blizzard rescaled it in the game to make it fit right. I'm jealous of URDNOTsullivan's pics showing him holding the rifle in one hand, hopefully I can make my copy grip as strong with some modification. The one leg on an elevated stand in his photos also gave me an idea - it'd be cool to have a dead hydralisk base for him to place his foot on, like the one in the scene where Jimmy saves Warfield by shooting one's head off. I'll draw that one up and print it out & will share the file for anyone that wants it.

Overall impression: Figure is amazingly detailed and exactly what I wanted. Lots of love went into this figure. There are QC issues with assembly that hopefully go away in later builds, and the shipping delays prioritizing regular orders over people that paid years ago is confusing, but my overall takeaway is THIS GUY IS GREAT. I'll be ordering Tychus, assuming I can get the joint issues fixed and/or Sideshow sorts those in future production runs. I won't be pre-ordering though, it seems Ebay is the faster and cheaper way to go.

Also, for anyone interested in a custom (I doubt there will be many at this price but it crossed my mind and if unpainted kits are made available I'll get three!): The helmet visor still has the textured "hexagon" patterning from the early prototypes. The outside is smooth and opaque mirror coated so you don't see it, but the inside is hex textured so if you remove the paint and use a more transparent coating instead, the hex pattern should come through with the inside lighting (which is built in, though I never noticed in the pics - Jimmy has an LED in his back that allows for ambient helmet lighting and would shine through the visor if it wasn't completely opaque.

Just amazon or google search "18 inch doll stand" and you'll find a bunch. I find the online prices are more expensive. If you have a craft store around like Michael's or AC Moore, both carry them (my local Michaels doesn't have them brick and mortar, but yours might.)https://www.etsy.com/listing/206248268/metal-doll-stand-for-18-american-girl?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_low-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=5f9a162e-1658-e109-cac6-00006e5646c5&kpid=206248268&gclid=CjwKEAjw0q2pBRC3jrb24JjE8VgSJAAyIzAd86pV67e6LJ_9bHUZ4Kh4VQdU6Pnd2FJvl2yCAKD1WhoCYIjw_wcB you can try that (sorry it's a long link)

A quick update about my Raynor figure. My new one arrives tomorrow. After having dealt with customer support for too long I just decided to get my money back and buy him over again. My experience with customer support was both a positive and negative experience. On one hand they offered to send me some replacement pieces so that was great, on the other the gentleman that assisted me told me that my right vent would sit properly if I just applied more force, and thanks to the post on here concerning the vents and the mention of the double sided tape, I'm now certain that the tape was not applied correctly and I do not have the means to fix that. Fingers crossed hoping that this one wont have the same problems that my other one did. Glad to see some more people are getting there hands on Jim and enjoying him! I am certainly excited for Tychus and plan on getting him too. Just haven't decided if I want to use flex pay again or not.

Just amazon or google search "18 inch doll stand" and you'll find a bunch. I find the online prices are more expensive. If you have a craft store around like Michael's or AC Moore, both carry them (my local Michaels doesn't have them brick and mortar, but yours might.)https://www.etsy.com/listing/206248268/metal-doll-stand-for-18-american-girl?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_low-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=5f9a162e-1658-e109-cac6-00006e5646c5&kpid=206248268&gclid=CjwKEAjw0q2pBRC3jrb24JjE8VgSJAAyIzAd86pV67e6LJ_9bHUZ4Kh4VQdU6Pnd2FJvl2yCAKD1WhoCYIjw_wcB you can try that (sorry it's a long link)

thanks.

Back