Sideshow 1/6 Starcraft Raynor Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really think that's not applicable anymore. Look at the latest 2 1/6 offered by SSC - Grievous and this. They are stepping up their game and starting to play in HT's sandbox. And as mentioned earlier in this thread - this figure is comparable to Iron Monger which was only $20 cheaper 2 years ago. And Raynor has more lights, more parts, etc.

I agree in terms of price... and this does look to have a comparable (or even better) value to the Monger. But it's the finished product that is most important. Sideshow's dropped the ball on few expensive releases. This could either be a masterpieces, or a $500 hot mess.

The closest 1/6 example from Sideshow I can think of is IG-88. Overall a great figure... but the light-up feature was tempermental and poorly designed. The articulation was tricky and could easily be damaged and the paint work was pretty basic... it was good enough, but not at the level of weathering/price point we see from 3A.

So it will be interesting to see if Sideshow is actually able to deliver on a figure with this kind of price tag and not have any major QC issues or wtf issues (like Kenobi's plastic belt) that seems to plague them.
Yeah, I think Sideshow has great potential with their figures, and I'm not just talking complex engineering, but even with more basic figures that often have great sculpts and start out with the intention of a top notch figure being produced. Look at all the amazing Grove sculpts they've had access to, and even clothing done by Kato in a few instances. But execution isn't always there. Recently, look at Kato's great pics of his Cobra Commander versus the one we saw at SDCC (apparently an approximation of the production figure) where the clothing looked sloppy and ill-fitting. I'm hopeful about their apparent new head production/painting process with the Hoth Star Wars guys, but their execution on production pieces frequently hasn't lived up to figures' potential in the past, and that's where the biggest gap lies between SSC and Hot Toys IMO.

I want to see better pics or turnarounds of the actual model/figure and accessories (if any..) before I commit to buy... $500 + postage to Australia, is getting into some serious money...especially with a NRD.

I really think that's not applicable anymore. Look at the latest 2 1/6 offered by SSC - Grievous and this. They are stepping up their game and starting to play in HT's sandbox. And as mentioned earlier in this thread - this figure is comparable to Iron Monger which was only $20 cheaper 2 years ago. And Raynor has more lights, more parts, etc.

They are indeed stepping up their game!

The question is will the final quality match the proposal here. :dunno

This is one expensive *** figure, but it looks friggin' amazing. I don't know the game so will have to ask my son. Makes me want to see Pacific Rim Jaeger suits, just not for $500. Maybe $250.

This hobby just gotten more non more expensive.........

I didn't see this coming for $400ish. With shipping may end up more. What confuses me the dimension they list on SS only shows height of 40cm. Is that accurate?

I just saw the price for this on BBTS. . .wow. Great looking figure, but damn. Hot Toys Iron Monger was less, and that was Hot Toys.

Yeah, I was surprised to see the price as well. I thought this would be $400, tops, using HT Iron Monger as the benchmark.

Congrats to those who can afford to get this great figure!

Can you transfer deposit at sideshow if you change your mind?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My biggest concern right now is that the quality of the piece does not match the price. I am hopeful that this is a strong start for a new line of collectibles. I like what SS is doing on the Star Wars side. The level of overall production appears to be improving. I just want these higher MSRP's to match the overall quality of the piece.

Also, why not just have both Raynor and Tychus up for pre order? Having to wait a year for Raynor is too much but 2 years or more for Tychus!?:gah:

Yeah, I think Sideshow has great potential with their figures, and I'm not just talking complex engineering, but even with more basic figures that often have great sculpts and start out with the intention of a top notch figure being produced. Look at all the amazing Grove sculpts they've had access to, and even clothing done by Kato in a few instances. But execution isn't always there. Recently, look at Kato's great pics of his Cobra Commander versus the one we saw at SDCC (apparently an approximation of the production figure) where the clothing looked sloppy and ill-fitting. I'm hopeful about their apparent new head production/painting process with the Hoth Star Wars guys, but their execution on production pieces frequently hasn't lived up to figures' potential in the past, and that's where the biggest gap lies between SSC and Hot Toys IMO.

Yep, protos are generally right there with HT and others in terms of quality. But it all falls apart at the production level.

How much does it take to ship to australia?

I'd expect a lot... this will be heavy and in a giant box. Not to mention you'll get hit with customs fees. If you can buy in locally you might fair a bit better.

My biggest concern right now is that the quality of the piece does not match the price. I am hopeful that this is a strong start for a new line of collectibles. I like what SS is doing on the Star Wars side. The level of overall production appears to be improving. I just want these higher MSRP's to match the overall quality of the piece.

Also, why not just have both Raynor and Tychus up for pre order? Having to wait a year for Raynor is too much but 2 years or more for Tychus!?:gah:

I'd like to have Jim before I dropped another NRD for Tychus. Plus, SS will see how this half a grand figure moves out of the warehouse before making another one. So there's gonna be a fair wait before the next fig PO's.

Jesus, half a grand for a 1/6 dolly. I can't believe I'm going there :thud:

I'd expect a lot... this will be heavy and in a giant box. Not to mention you'll get hit with customs fees. If you can buy in locally you might fair a bit better.

Prob 60 - 80 bucks, no customs below one thousand $AU (at the moment).

Preordered at BBTS, I just had to. If the production piece ends up looking rotten I'll just cancel, no bigs.

I'm so damn excited for this. From the pictures it looks to be so incredibly detailed. Not sure what lights up, but it does mention that it does. Hope that aspect of it is done well.

Hi - did anyone actually see this Raynor 1/6 at SDCC? If so, what are your thoughts on quality and sculpt and paint? Does it look amazing in person? The pictures look really good and I am seriously thinking of preordering but want to hear from someone who saw it live. Pictures and live is always different. Thanks!

Back