Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got in my custom 3PO/R2 acrylic stand from Stoney's Stands. Think he did a great job.
d59f52310b3e7dd6f7742bfa09d50489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Painted the cones of the projectors black and added a little dark rub
aa36a88da17d8557339320066cc7d541.jpg
93580f081efcb5198db4f96997a2ebbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really tempted to buy r2 but worried hot toys will release a better version soon? Think this one looks great and love all the lights. Seen some dodgy paintwork though and I know that's something hot toys wouldn't screw up. Not prepared to repaint it myself either. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really tempted to buy r2 but worried hot toys will release a better version soon? Think this one looks great and love all the lights. Seen some dodgy paintwork though and I know that's something hot toys wouldn't screw up. Not prepared to repaint it myself either. Thoughts?

I'm sure HT will eventually make one, but bear in mind I doubt it will come with as much stuff Sideshow included with him, and most likely he'll be at least $100 more since people will be clamoring for a die-cast version. I love Sideshow's R2. I think $150 (I have the exclusive with the extra 3 or 4 arms) is a steal for this guy, let alone now being able to use a $20 code or finding him for less from 3rd party retailers. He looks amazing on my shelf and with Sidehow's C-3PO. Waited a long time for these guys.. And I don't care he's plastic and light weight. I don't actually play with him... :) Besides, the Premium Format they made was also lightweight and flimsy plastic and he cost more than double, so I don't understand why people were thinking this guy would be any different. Just gotta watch for Sideshow's QC issues, which for me is the biggest problem with them, not the look..

Agree with all of loki's points. You can also get R2 with a $25 or $30 coupon from SS, so think of it as more like $120. Good deal for a fun little figure.

My R2 turned up on Friday. Its has a nasty great scratch on the dome. Almost a gouge. :-/
Not sure if this was loose component / shipping type thing. But as it came all the way from USA to Sweden it makes return a bit of a pain.

Top tips for paint repair welcome.

You should check with Sideshow customer service, they might send you another undamaged piece after you destroy this one.

Finally got around to removing the weathering using 100% Isopropyl and it looks much better - however, R2 still looks fairly grey and I'd like to get him much whiter. Can anyone suggest a way of whitening him that doesn't involve painting and won't damage the plastic? I read hydrogen peroxide would work but would greatly appreciate advice from anyone experienced with such things.

A little late to the party perhaps. I received this fellow a little over a month ago. Got him out of the box today. Currently he's the only "premium" Star Wars figure in my collection. I have plenty more on order though, so he'll be in good company soon enough. :)

The figure itself is,,, not very impressive. It looks ok standing on the shelf though.

Nothing against R2. But the figure is extremely flimsy and the paint job is moderate at best. As I said, it looks ok on the shelf, but if you start to move it about the weak ankles and loose access panels detracts from the overall impression. Needless to say, I expected more from a $150 figure. Luckily the lights helps a lot! :)

Well this will be my last sideshow. My only other one was 1/6 Vader and it was my first real collectible. Since then all have been Hot Toys. I thought at this price how could I go wrong. Well the life sensor is stuck down and won't pop up and the little panel covering is slightly stuck down. I can't get it to pop up. Pretty cheap overall. U get what u pay for which is why Hot Toys figures with no extra 'junk' cost $220.

Oh. And why rollers? Do they expect us to roll this thing around? All I can see is it moving due to bass while watch g movies and falling off a shelf.

Against my better judgment and reviews on here, I opted to buy R2 with the 25.00 off coupon. I figured how bad could it be and R5 was awesome. I was sadly mistake. It is much more flimsy than R5. The panels are extremely loose. Just wasn't work the money. R5 was great so hopefully the imperial droids are more like that.

R2 has his build issues but he is a pretty good figure. He comes with tons of extras that allow you to pretty much set up any scene from the OT. I only set up the Jabba skiff waiter mode once, not really going to pose him like that but the table/hologram setup in Obi Wan's home is pretty cool. I understand the complaints of the panels popping open and the weak ankles but I just put the middle leg down and then he is stable on the shelf and slightly tilted back so the panels don't pop open.

The light up functions are one of the better ones I have in my collection and now that I have Obi Wan and Luke, I plan on putting these three together on shelf.

My light saber did not come with the magnetic end for some reason so I have to use the restraining bolt to open the panels (or just tip him forward right?). My compartment where the light saber is supposed to go does not work correctly either but it is a small complaint really as he looks good on display.

Definitely a figure that could have been built better. Only saving grace is that once I display him I don't move him around too much. Hope HT brings a shiny/clean version out later

It doesn't help much, but I figure that R2 was the first Astromech SSC did and we can see definite improvement with R5. It still hurts if you paid full price like I did, but things are getting better, so if they do a clean version, it should be nicely done. I hope the Imperial Astomechs are as nice or nicer than R5.

I have my R2 in a very static pose with C-3P0, so I am satisfied.

I purchased an R2 through the Disney Store with a coupon code for a good price and it was a real piece of junk. It arrived in the SS brown shipper and original packaging so was basically just drop shipped.

Mine had:

> Large blemish on the dome.
> Missing thruster.
> Misaligned doors.
> Loose door that would not stay closed in my desired pose which was leaning slightly forward projecting the Leia hologram.

photo_2.JPG

photo_1.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_4.JPG

I contacted Sideshow and sent them the pics above and they said too bad, not their problem since I bought it from a third party. I know that is their stated policy but they could have at least apologized that I received such a horribly defective product.

Thankfully, I was able to send it back to Disney for a full refund.

So I just got my R2 a few days ago. The panels aren't as flimsy as some others have mentioned, but this is still pretty underwhelming in terms of quality. Have to say I really do love the light up features for this guy though and still looks really good with my other HT Star Wars figures.

Back