Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP Tony Dyson,creator of R2-D2 dies at 68.
tony-dyson-1024.jpg

Ok so I had to paint the dome again. Originally I used a flat aluminum paint, but it didn't turn out how I thought it would. So I redid it with a metallic silver and it looks much better now. Also applied varnish to the blue bits. Next: weathering the body.
c13f4c4d6fcef61ae3b44fdb098dbe68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting tidbit I just realized...if you look at movie stills of R2 in ANH, the "cones" of his projector on the front and back are actually black:
c7a6a9633c286bf706bc1c00cf0568d4.jpg
cf02691ff1d6cf03e24ef52d75ca58ab.jpg
9743148505325504eab355e8d0c1e6e9.jpg

So I received the replacement head for my R2 and it works fine! However, it turns out that it was just the batteries after all and upon switching them out with new ones my original head now works again.

Guess I probably should have checked that first :/

Yeah, true. Getting a replacement part from SS is way easier (and quicker) than getting new batteries.

Good to hear it all worked out, and you now have a fully functioning R2 unit. :wink1:

To be fair I didn't expect it to be the batteries as the unit switched on just fine and was as bright as it ever had been. I don't get how the batteries can make the touch panel work to switch the unit on but not to change functions or switch off.

Plus I did ask SSC if it could be the batteries but they examined the video I sent them and decided to send a replacement lol.

To be fair I didn't expect it to be the batteries as the unit switched on just fine and was as bright as it ever had been. I don't get how the batteries can make the touch panel work to switch the unit on but not to change functions or switch off.

Plus I did ask SSC if it could be the batteries but they examined the video I sent them and decided to send a replacement lol.

Hey man, you contacted the manufacturer and they made the call. And I'm with you...if I had an R2 that switched on but wouldn't change functions, I would think its the touch panel long before I would ever think it's the batteries.

Back